Two funny stories I read about a trip Forrest made to NYC after the war to find investors for a railroad project in the post-war south. I do not stand by the full accuracy of the stories but they are entertaining:

Forrest was asked to give a speech and on his way to the venue stepped in a big pile of dung that clung to his boots. giving the speech a listener said, "General, that is the first time I've ever heard a Southerner speak." To which Forrest said, "Yes Sir, and that's the first time I've ever given a Southern speech from a Yankee platform."

While strolling through the city he looked up and saw a man on the ledge of a fourth story building as if to jump. Concerned, he decided to talk the man out of jumping. Yelling out Forrest said, "Don't jump, remember your wife!" "She divorced me," the man yelled back. "Well then, remember your children," the general called. "They ran away with my wife," the man replied. "Remember your parents, then," Forrest replied. "They're dead," shot back the man. Finally the general said, "Well sir, remember Robert E. Lee!" "Who is that?" said the man. Forrest yelled back, "Jump you damn Yankee!!"