John W Booth may have actually escaped

2,574 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by annie88
plowboy1065
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/man-who-killed-americas-most-14323359
Aquin
AG
In 1959, long before all the JFK conspiracy discussion, Theodore Roscoe wrote a book called "Web of Conspiracy " that discusses that very point. The book is well researched on many levels. Therefore, if you think Booth died outside the tobacco barn, you would still get a lot out of the book. I believe it is still available on Amazon. Let me say this, to me there is a greater likelihood that Booth escaped than Oswald was a lone assassin.
who?mikejones
AG
Are there pics for us to compare?

Wrong emotion
terata
AG
Careful, you'll have a few "he absolutely died at the barn" posts coming up.
BQ78
AG
He absolutely died at the barn

Here is the photo comparison the chin and the ears don't add up (George first, Wilkes second)

Web of Conspiracy is a very good book but it does have some over wrought conspiracy theories in it but still was well researched.
Rabid Cougar
AG
He died in the barn. If they were not sure who they got they would have burned down the world looking for him. No telling how many people the they would have killed in doing so.
TXAG 05
AG
BQ78 said:

He absolutely died at the barn

Here is the photo comparison the chin and the ears don't add up (George first, Wilkes second)

Web of Conspiracy is a very good book but it does have some over wrought conspiracy theories in it but still was well researched.

I remember reading about this in a book when I was little. I a remember correctly, the picture of the man with the newspaper was taken after he died. It was a custom back then to take a picture of the body looking like they were still alive. That could be a reason why it looks a little different. Chances are, it was Booth that was killed in the barn, but I wasn't there so don't know for sure.
BQ78
AG
Ear shape and pointed versus rounded chin doesn't change when you die.

What's your opinion on Elvis, is he dead? Were you there?
30wedge
BQ78 said:

Ear shape and pointed versus rounded chin doesn't change when you die.

What's your opinion on Elvis, is he dead? Were you there?
Unlike you, I bet he wasn't.
Bighunter43
AG
"He died in the barn"!! I like a good conspiracy theory...but this one is pretty much been debunked!! I'm not sure what it is about "outlaws", but there seems to be a fascination with them "surviving" their historical deaths and leading a new life. Billy The Kid, Jesse James, Butch Cassidy to name a few. Even Bill Longley, who was hanged in Giddings in 1878. Reportedly the hanging was faked, and in the late 1990's researchers from the Smithsonian came and dug up the body to dispel the rumors. Perhaps people just want to have another "chapter" of history to learn about beyond their historical deaths.
As for Booth, the escape theory does have its merits:
1. Soldiers at the born have sworn affidavits that the body had reddish hair and freckles.
2. Dr May at the autopsy said "the body bears no resemblance to Booth".
3. The Government buried the body in a prison cell, and was not recognizable years later when given to the Booth family.
4. Autopsy photos: supposedly there was one taken by A. Gardner and in the Nat Archives there is a statement the plate was delivered to Stanton. However Gardner's son years later said he was there, but no photograph was allowed...(Stanton also ordered photos of Lincoln in the casket to be destroyed, but one survived!)
5. And then the whole John St. Helen, David E George, Finis Bates buys the mummy thing, etc.

However, none of that really holds water.
1. Booth was on the run for 12 days, had been hiding in a swamp and was in BAD physical condition....he probably was physically worn out and didn't look like his pictures.
2. Booth's body was never embalmed, and probably deteriorated rapidly! May did identify Booth by the broken left leg and a scar on his neck where May had performed a minor surgery on him at one time. Also several autopsy witnesses said they saw the JWB tattoo on the corpses hand!
3. Although the strange treatment of Booth's remains is controversial, the remains returned to the Booth family were identified by dental records.
4. Photo or no photo.....strange but no way proves anything one way or the other. (Booth's diary with 18 missing pages is of more interest to me...what was on them that Stanton didn't want people to see).
5. Bates bought that mummy and sold a story for one reason: $$$$!!!! He also wrote a book about it...more $$$!!

I watched the program.....and the re-enactments were horrible! Do these people actually do research? I mean they've got Booth hobbling around in the barn on crutches with a splint on "over his left boot"....when that boot was cut off at Dr Mudd's and found later under a bed there which implicated Mudd in aiding Booth! The cavalry soldiers are surrounding the barn with Springfield muskets when I'm sure this elite unit would have carbines and revolvers (help me if I'm wrong BQ 78)...then Corbett shoots Booth with with a musket when everyone knows he used a revolver....poorly done!

As for the mummy of St. Helen/George...I'd say the guy in Penn has it, but he refused to show it or let Ramy examine it! He said "the world isn't ready for that yet".....you know why? Because it's NOT Booth and that would end the mystery!!! So.....long story short....Booth died "outside" the barn!!

BQ78
AG
30Wedge:

I wasn't in the bathroom when he died but I was on the Beeline headed to Cocoa Beach to see the Voyager launch when it came on the radio and everyone in the car said, "What!"

BH:

Yes Corbett was armed with a Spencer not a Springfield and if there is a conspiracy, it was that Booth really committed suicide as there was a rumor that Corbett did not have a Colt revolver and had to have one issued to get the credit. His commander Conger was watching Booth through slats in the warehouse and he thought Booth shot himself.
Bighunter43
AG
BQ78 said:

30Wedge:

I wasn't in the bathroom when he died but I was on the Beeline headed to Cocoa Beach to see the Voyager launch when it came on the radio and everyone in the car said, "What!"

BH:

Yes Corbett was armed with a Spencer not a Springfield and if there is a conspiracy, it was that Booth really committed suicide as there was a rumor that Corbett did not have a Colt revolver and had to have one issued to get the credit. His commander Conger was watching Booth through slats in the warehouse and he thought Booth shot himself.

The suicide is an interesting take, though I've never come across that theory in all my research/reading. Though I assume after a lengthy standoff, its obvious Booth wasn't coming out, as he wasn't about to surrender and go through a hanging!! Perhaps when they fired the barn, I guess it's possible as there was no way out for sure! I know for sure that he and Herold were armed with two Spencer Carbines....I've never heard of him having a revolver. The autopsy report reads he was shot through the back of the neck by a pistol ball....kind of a strange angle for a suicide. (And they did place Corbett under arrest for a time for firing without permission)....
BQ78
AG
I think you are wrong about the shot being in the back of his neck, it was in the side of the neck consistent with a self inflicted wound. See one of my favorite history websites and the actual autopsy language:

https://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln83.html

Booth had two Spencer Carbines and two Colt Revolvers. Corbett got one of Booth's revolvers and both were damaged by the fire. He never let anyone see the weapon he supposedly shot Booth and would not sell either of his historic weapons. Doherty said Booth was shot in the back of the head about where Lincoln was shot but I believe this was drama on his part because his skull was not penetrated by the bullet.

Corbett probably shot Booth but there are conflicting reports and Corbett's story was never consistent. I do find the parallels with Kennedy that both assassins were killed by flakes with Colt revolvers who felt they had a higher calling to kill.

Bighunter43
AG
BQ78 said:

I think you are wrong about the shot being in the back of his neck, it was in the side of the neck consistent with a self inflicted wound. See one of my favorite history websites and the actual autopsy language:

https://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln83.html

I am familiar with that website as well.....MOST of those that post on there like Mrs Verge from the Surratt Society are well informed experts. (I have posted there over the years as well, although it was years ago, and I'm not sure Roger Norton had taken over the forum at that time). You are correct sir in that the ball traveled at an angle...from left to right as I recall. (I've never heard of anyone committing suicide by shooting themself in the side of the neck, but anything is possible). There is no doubt that Booth had the carbine, and I guess I had forgotten about the two pistols. I suppose he could have gotten them from Samuel Cox or Thomas Jones who assisted him during the escape? Or perhaps Herold had them when he left Washington that night? Interesting take for sure.....although I'm not buying the suicide, you've peaked my interest to look into it.

I assume that you are aware that Corbett had castrated himself as self punishment for seeking out "soiled doves" as well.....a strange fellow indeed!!
BQ78
AG
Yes, I'm not too convinced of the suicide story myself, as you say who does that shooting themselves in the neck and nowhere is it mentioned, especially the autopsy, that he had powder burns near the wound, which would have occurred with the muzzle against his neck.

Yes, Corbett was stranger than Jack Ruby. There is actually a very good recent biography of him you could read in an afternoon called The Madman and the Assassin by Scott Martelle
annie88
AG
If they just do the damn DNA test on Booth relatives they could answer this once and for all. I think it's ridiculous they won't just do it and get it done with. This theory is been around for decades I've heard this story many times.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.