Where Did Spartans Get Their Equipment/Weapons?

1,908 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by coupland boy
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I keep reading and seeing that Spartan men did pretty much nothing but train for war and they did not farm or do any type of work.

If that is true who was making their weapons? Their cities were not as elaborate as other greek city states and I doubt you would put slaves in charge of weapon production.

If it was through trade that also seems unlikely as I also keep reading they didn't do much of that either. And that they forbade the minting of coins.

Sapper Redux
There were cities and towns in vassalage to Sparta. The perioeci were freemen who were not Spartans and had the ability to travel without permission. They did a lot of the trading and manufacturing in the region.
aalan94
AG
Everything that Watson said, but also add that not all people in Sparta were citizens. This is true of all ancient Greek city-states. I often hear it said that there were only 30-40,000 Athenians. That's not true. That's the number of Athenian citizens, but the total population was a couple hundred thousand.

Sparta was similar, although the numbers probably aren't that lopsided. Still, there were lots of people living in Sparta who weren't "Spartans" technically. They would have had more menial jobs.
terata
AG
Their number one supplier was Dick's sporting goods, and Academy when special sales were in progress.
The Original AG 76
AG
terata said:

Their number one supplier was Dick's sporting goods, and Academy when special sales were in progress.
I read that the lines at the Spartan Academy stores were EPIC to grab some 404 BC Peloponnesian War CHAMPS gear...
MGS
You know, I have the same question about the Klingon empire.
terata
AG
The Klingons prefer military surplus so they can buy in bulk.
coupland boy
AG
aalan94 said:

Everything that Watson said, but also add that not all people in Sparta were citizens. This is true of all ancient Greek city-states. I often hear it said that there were only 30-40,000 Athenians. That's not true. That's the number of Athenian citizens, but the total population including t-shirt fans was a couple hundred thousand.

Sparta was similar, although the numbers probably aren't that lopsided. Still, there were lots of people living in Sparta who weren't "Spartans" technically. They would have had more menial jobs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.