My New Texas History Blog

3,529 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TooTall 06
aalan94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've decided to put all of my Texas history writing in one place, because dammit, the Internet needs more Texas, and I'm happy to oblige.

My thesis is here on its own stand-alone link, and it's still raw (I'm adding pictures and such), but I'll be adding much more in the future. I would be happy to open it up to other writers if they would like to contribute:

Texhist.com
aalan94
AG
Stand alone links for my thesis: Printed Version and Blog Version.
p_bubel
Funny, I just saw your blog a couple of days ago when someone I know posted a link on Facebook.

I thought it was old and unused ( I guess I didn't pay attention to the post date) as there only was one or two posts. So, you're intending to update semi-regularly?
Rabid Cougar
AG
8th generation? Should be a story about that all by itself.

I am only 4th generation and mine starts in 1868 when my Great Grandfather arrived in Texas when he was 18 years old.
aalan94
AG
I'm going to try to post as often as I can, but I'm not going to adhere to a rigorous time frame. I have the real job that pays the bills. Plus I'm in the reserves and travel a lot for that.

As for 8th generation, it's not that hard. My oldest ancestor on my mom's side came to Texas in 1824. Oldest on my dad's side is fifth.
Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

As for 8th generation, it's not that hard. My oldest ancestor on my mom's side came to Texas in 1824. Oldest on my dad's side is fifth.
Very nice. Off the top of my head I think 8 back puts me in the Carolinas or Virginia in the mid to late 1700's.

Post removed:
by user
Rabid Cougar
AG
Rabid Cougar said:

8th generation? Should be a story about that all by itself.

I am only 4th generation and mine starts in 1868 when my Great Grandfather arrived in Texas when he was 18 years old.
BTW he was 68 years old on his third wife, age 23, when my grandfather was born in 1918. I knew/remember her. She was married to my grandmother's father. They were both well into their 80's. Try figuring that out when you are 6 years old.
VanZandt92
spud1910
AG
I am enjoying your blog. And 8th generation is impressive. I can go back 6, but that is all. I had thought I had a line that was earlier, but can't find it tonight.
TJJackson
I'm 5th generation. My ggg-grandfather moved from Georgia to what is now Fort Hood in the middle 1850's.
DriftwoodAg
AG
I'm at least 6th, my grandpa's great grandpa moved to the Rockport area in 1845.
aalan94
AG
The number is all about having kids young. My mom's family did, my dad's did not. In the 20th Century, my mom's side had 4 generations, my dad's side only 3. My grandfather on my dad's side was born in 1899 and I was born in 1971. My son was born in 2012. So that's 113 years to go 4 generations. If your family has kids every 20 years, you can have almost 7 generations in that time.

We may have an Alamo defender in there, not as an ancestor, but a relative. There is circumstantial evidence that may link one of my mom's ancestors, a woman with the maiden name of Dillard, to John Henry Dillard, who died at the Alamo. I think she's his sister, but have not ever confirmed. Either way, it's not about being a blue blood. Am I proud, sure. But my dad's side ultimately became just as Texan, even though they did so immigrating through Illinois, as all the others. Being a Texan is about how much effort you put into it, not when someone arrived.
p_bubel
I'm the first Texan in my family. (If anyone cares.)
I didn't realize just how much of a Texan I was until I moved abroad for a bit.
Jaydoug
AG
I'm a 7th Gen Texan. That makes my kids 8th's....
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
93Spur
Posted a link to the blog on a Texas History FB page.
(I'm Texas gen 6, 7, or 7 depending on line).
Hope it gets you more readers.
tmaggies
AG
I am eighth or ninth generation from Samuel Washington Lindley father of Jonathan Lindley who died at the Alamo.
Rabid Cougar
AG
You Iraq blog was very interesting. I was with the Brits in Basra and at Bucca during the same time.
aalan94
AG
Yeah, that was an interesting time. I never did spend much time outside the wire, which I was disappointed with at the time, when I was full of piss and vinegar, but I'm fine with it now. I nearly got blown up once as it was and that was enough. Have a nice piece of shrapnel that not only would have taken me out (I had left the trailer minutes before), but nearly took out my 12th Man towel. That one's here.

Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

Yeah, that was an interesting time. I never did spend much time outside the wire, which I was disappointed with at the time, when I was full of piss and vinegar, but I'm fine with it now. I nearly got blown up once as it was and that was enough. Have a nice piece of shrapnel that not only would have taken me out (I had left the trailer minutes before), but nearly took out my 12th Man towel. That one's here.

Spent lots of time in downtown Basra. Very interesting with the Mahdi Army controlling most of it. Too many tics to count. Lived at the Airport. We got rocketed almost everyday and twice on Sunday. Lived about 100 meters from a C-RAM and about 300 meters from Brit 155's. There was always stuff flying either in or out usually at the same time.

Bucca was a cake walk. Spent time rebuilding all the compounds' bath houses. 32 compounds with 700 to 800 detainees a piece. Built a huge sewage lagoon and a new water system with a reverse osmosis desalination system and 1.2 million gallons of storage.
tmaggies
AG
Glad you left the trailer when you did Ag! Thank you for serving!!!!
aalan94
AG
I didn't ever get to Bucca, but that's where we got a lot of reports out of. I was at Victory and Liberty almost exclusively, but got to the Green Zone as well. I did attend muster when I was in Baghdad. Here's what I wrote about that. Certainly the most hits I ever had on TexAgs:https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/1138258/1
Rabid Cougar
AG
aalan94 said:

I didn't ever get to Bucca, but that's where we got a lot of reports out of. I was at Victory and Liberty almost exclusively, but got to the Green Zone as well. I did attend muster when I was in Baghdad. Here's what I wrote about that. Certainly the most hits I ever had on TexAgs:https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/1138258/1

Mustered by myself several times. No other Aggie around or that I could find at Bucca in '08. I mustered with an Aegis contractor and former CT buddy Dallas Morris at Talil in '09. And again by myself in '11 at FOB Wright, Kunar, Afghanistan.
TwoMarksHand
AG
If we are still posting about this. I think that I'm 9th generation Texan maybe 8th. My family goes back to The Old 300 of Nacogdoches. I've posted this before on here, but I'm a direct descendant of 2 different signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence. My grandpa, now passed, was 1st cousins with Kay Bailey Hutchison.
If you were born in Nacogdoches or the area from early 1900s to the 70s, there's a pretty good chance my Great-grandpa or GG-grandpa delivered you.
NE PA Ag
I'm a 7th generation descendant of Asa Hill and 6th generation descendant of William CJ Hill who migrated to Washington County from Georgia in 1831. I've been poking around tonight doing a little more research and found some interesting information. I found an obituary many years ago for William, who died in 1897, that said he was 'a veteran of the war with Mexico', so I assume he was a veteran of the revolution. Tonight I found online records that linked him with the Somerville Campaign, which was a Republic of Texas Army expedition to attempt an offensive against Mexico in 1842, but still nothing placing him in the revolution.

----------------------------

Original post: The most interesting thing I found was William's son, William Pickney Hill, my great great grandfather, was one of two district judges in Texas appointed by the Confederate government.

Edit: I learned the lesson of even an inexperienced amateur historian to find second and third sources first before jumping to conclusions. My great great grandfather is indeed named William Pinckney Hill, but he was born in 1836 in Texas and died in Brenham in 1883. That would have made him 25 years old when William Pinckney Hill was appointed judge, awfully young to be appointed a federal district judge for the Confederacy. Further research found an entry from the Handbook of Texas online that says Judge Hill was born in Georgia and died in 1870.

One of my distant cousins made the leap that they must be one and the same since the names are identical.
93Spur
tmaggies said:

I am eighth or ninth generation from Samuel Washington Lindley father of Jonathan Lindley who died at the Alamo.
I know at least two of your Houston-based cousins. Here the the Lindley name at ancestor roll call.
tmaggies
AG
Funny that no one knew in the family of that history until I started digging.......still learning about the family history. Discovered on my Grandmother's side who was a Grimes that the ancestors were also family friends with the Lindley's.
aalan94
AG
Quote:

Tonight I found online records that linked him with the Somerville Campaign, which was a Republic of Texas Army expedition to attempt an offensive against Mexico in 1842, but still nothing placing him in the revolution.

Talk to the Land Commission. Texas paid its veterans in land, so they have great documentation of Texas Republic veterans.
12f Mane
AG
NY Ag said:

I'm a 7th generation descendant of Asa Hill and 6th generation descendant of William CJ Hill who migrated to Washington County from Georgia in 1831. I've been poking around tonight doing a little more research and found some interesting information. I found an obituary many years ago for William, who died in 1897, that said he was 'a veteran of the war with Mexico', so I assume he was a veteran of the revolution. Tonight I found online records that linked him with the Somerville Campaign, which was a Republic of Texas Army expedition to attempt an offensive against Mexico in 1842, but still nothing placing him in the revolution.

Original post: The most interesting thing I found was William's son, William Pickney Hill, my great great grandfather, was one of two district judges in Texas appointed by the Confederate government.

Edit: I learned the lesson of even an inexperienced amateur historian to find second and third sources first before jumping to conclusions. My great great grandfather is indeed named William Pinckney Hill, but he was born in 1836 in Texas and died in Brenham in 1883. That would have made him 25 years old when William Pinckney Hill was appointed judge, awfully young to be appointed a federal district judge for the Confederacy. Further research found an entry from the Handbook of Texas online that says Judge Hill was born in Georgia and died in 1870.

One of my distant cousins made the leap that they must be one and the same since the names are identical.
In the "Aftermath" section in this article has a photo with an "Aca C. Hill" and states he is a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto. Wonder if that is the same Asa?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_San_Jacinto

TAMU74
aalan94
AG
Quote:

A very good point.

A case in point from my research. There is an Aylette Buckner who fought in the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition and then settled in the Old 300. There is also an Aylette Buckner who was born around the same time and who is the father of Civil War general Simon Bolivar Buckner and the grandfather of World War II general (which in itself has a lot to say about generational lengths). Now, it would be nice to say my Aylette Buckner had a son named Simon Bolivar, because that in itself could tell a lot about his motivation, but you can't do it. They're clearly different people, and once I researched it more, Aylette is a last name that was well respected in pre-revolutionary society, and when a man married a woman from that family, he brought the family name in as a first name. It seems that both of these Aylette Buckners, who are maybe 2nd or 3rd cousins, have subsequently gotten the name from a common ancestor. They probably never even met. Nonetheless, a lot of early researchers (mostly pre-internet) found some references to the second guy (not Texas) and assumed that reference was for the first one (Texas).
NE PA Ag
12f Mane said:

NY Ag said:

In the "Aftermath" section in this article has a photo with an "Aca C. Hill" and states he is a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto. Wonder if that is the same Asa?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_San_Jacinto

Thanks for posting that. It can't be him because my records show that Asa Hill was born in 1784 in NC. That photo was taken in 1906.
12f Mane
AgTDub
AG
Like the blog!

I'm a 7th generation Texan myself, making my kids 8th gen. Our family came to DeWitts Colony in 1830. My great(x4) grandfather was Andrew Kent who participated in the Gonzales "come and take it" skirmish and then was one of the Immortal 32 who rode to the aid of the Alamo before it fell.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.