My New Texas History Blog

3,531 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TooTall 06
tmaggies
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgTDub said:

Like the blog!

I'm a 7th generation Texan myself, making my kids 8th gen. Our family came to DeWitts Colony in 1830. My great(x4) grandfather was Andrew Kent who participated in the Gonzales "come and take it" skirmish and then was one of the Immortal 32 who rode to the aid of the Alamo before it fell.

Was with my Great x? Uncle Jonathan Lindley.......
Apache
AG
Aalan have you read "The Battle of Gonzales and Its Two Cannons"?
It came out a couple of years ago and puts forth some pretty compelling information to disprove the idea that the "little cannon" at Gonzales was the only one at the battle.
TooTall 06
AG
I am 5th generation born in Texas. We can trace our family coming into Texas in ~1828. Based off of research he was granted land in Brazoria on the Brazos. By Mexican decree, they were forced inland to another Leauge of land near present day Matagorda. I have located both plots of land on historic maps.

A couple of years ago, I found a transcript of a letter to Stephen Austin introducing my GGG Grandfather. See link below.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth216632/

He was involved in an event at Washington on the Brazos called the Consultation and he was charges with gathering a militia for the Brazoria region.

Unfortunately, we cannot verify his death year as family records were destroyed in the aftermath of the Revilution. My GG grandfather (born 1830) lived in Washington with his uncle William t Austin

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.