Your Favorite History Prof at A&M

13,228 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 2000AgPhD
BQ08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I enjoyed Dr. Krammer and Dr. Bradford; I also enjoyed Dr. Linn. I'm currently in Reese's class; it's really good.
southcsag
The womens study of history was called "herstory."
terata
AG
Right, BQ78, Snyder was Poli Sci. He also played a major part in the battle of Nhi Ha, VN as the BN Cdr of the 21st IN BN. There is a book detailing the events of the battle of Nhi Ha with Snyder as their Commander, but I don't remember the title. (I'll look it up.)

[This message has been edited by terata (edited 3/6/2008 2:19p).]
DogCo84
AG
I also took the History of American Sea Power class circa 1980-1981...teaching that class was (I think) Roger Beaumont.

Great professor. Sorry I never had another class with him.
Smokedraw01
My list:
Brand: He led my senior seminar class and knew a lot about everything pertaining to American history. It's due to him that I love to read biographies.

Reese: Soviet History and Western Civ- Very dry but funny and I really enjoyed his take on Soviet History.

Kirkendall-I took both of his Latin American History classes and found an interest in a section of the world I could have honestly couldn't have cared less about.

Livesay-Hilarious old hippy teaching American history.

I really dislike Yarak and Bouton.
RoseRichAg01
I vote for Kirkendoll as well. Took his Latin American classes and another on 20th century world politics. All were great classes, taught well with good discussion.

Kosztolnyik was great. I learned a lot from that guy. Lucky to have had him before he retired.
The Invisible Swordsman
AG
quote:

It is possible that I might be confused, the guy that I am talking about usually taught several sections of Western Civ. This guy was way left wing and brought too many current events into play during a history class.

You're thinking of Daniel Bornstein, maybe?

Calvert was very good for Texas / Southern history. The guy never used notes... he'd just walk into the room in his searsucker (sp?) suits and start talking, and he always managed to make his lectures coherent, non-repetitive and interesting.
aalan94
AG
quote:
I had Dr. Kostolnyk in the spring of 1969

Damn, I didn’t realize he was that old. I had him 33 years after you did. I think I heard something about him passing away about a year ago.

Regarding the liberal prof, there were two possibilities. One I had taught U.S. history in the 20th century and was so anti-war that he didn’t want to teach WWII for some reason, so he turned over his class to a grad student who was hilarious and would tell graphic stories of Japanese troops getting massacred by alligators and stuff. The guys were night and day. Then when it came to Vietnam, several Vietnam vets came to class and heckled him.

Another liberal prof, though not as bad was named Borstin or Borstein or something along those lines. I had him for history of the west from Greece to Charlemagne. That was a great class despite his liberal nature. I mostly remember it because my study partner was Corey Pullig’s cousin, who was smokin’ hot.

The reason she approached me and with these hot, come hither eyes asked if I would tutor her is that I was the only one in class who passed a quiz. In fact, I was the only person in class who didn’t get a zero. Reveille, who was in the class, probably could have scored better than some of these folks. There were only 4 questions on the quiz:

1. What language was the Old Testament written in? Hebrew
2. What language did Jesus speak? Aramaic
3. What language was the New Testament written in? Greek
4. (One other I can’t remember).

Another test story from my freshman year: It was intro to U.S. History. The first test blew everybody out of the water. This was one of those classes with 200 people. All but five people failed, and I was the only grade over a C. I got a 98.

So the prof calls me out and proceeds to put me on the spot and asks what advice I can give everybody on studying and how to prepare.

With everybody staring at me, which made me very nervous, I had to admit that I had not studied and hadn’t even opened the books. “I just know this stuff,” I said. The rest of the class people thought I was a jackass, which bothered me at the time, but which is kind of funny now. I predicted Texags by a decade.

quote:
Is Reese a really tall guy who specialized in Nazi Germany history?

Football, I think Dr. Krammer is the only guy who taught Nazi Germany.

A story I had forgotten about Krammer:

I was a Journalism/German major at A&M (the same two as Lyle Lovett, incidentally). So in my second senior year I went to Germany and took classes at the University of Tuebingen for a year. Since they don’t teach Journalism in college over there and I had finished all of my required German classes at A&M, I basically took an entire year of electives. I took one Poly Sci class that filled an A&M requirement, and my second linguistics (needed for German), but the rest was just fun. So I took a TON of History classes.

One day, while walking down the street in this little town, I run smack into Dr. Krammer. Turns out that the schools have a prof exchange as well as a student exchange program. Dr. Krammer had taken semester off at A&M to come teach over there. He recognized me right away because I was one of the most outspoken students in his Nazi Germany class the year before. So I asked him what classes he was teaching and he told me. I signed up for “The History of German-Americans” which turned out to be a great class. For my research paper, I wrote about German immigration to Texas.

I actually kept up with him for a while after school, but after time lost contact.
oldvalleyrat
AG
I took a number of courses in the history department, all electives, because i have always enjoyed history. I never had a bad history prof. at A&M. They were all good.

One in particular was the fellow who taught the course called "Antebellum South". He was a older fellow with a very southern accent. He was wonderful. I am sure they must have shortened his class because it always was too short. He seemed to know all of the historical figures personally. I still remember him calling Martin Van Buren, "Little Matty" and "The Red Fox of Kinderhook". This would have been the mid 1960s. I can't remember his name. I would have never let him down with anything but my best effort.

[This message has been edited by oldvalleyrat (edited 3/7/2008 11:15a).]
91AggieLawyer
AG
I wasn't aware Calvert had passed. I used to go see him and call him on occasion in the '90s. Anyone know when he passed away? Was he still with A&M?
Bluegrass Ag
Had to post on this one. I have enjoyed reading about a lot of my old History profs. Needless to say, I never had a bad history prof or class while at A&M.

Coming from out of state I took Texas History taught by Dr. Calvert. He was great and knew his stuff. His grad student/assistant would apparently tell him what he was supposed to speak about each day before class, and he would just head over and start talking.

Reese-Took him for Russia 1881-Present and Central European History. Great sense of humor.

Dunning-Russia until 1881-Sharp guy.

Krammer-He had a Stroke or Aneurysm about a year or two before I took his Nazi Germany class. He was sharp and you would have never known he had a stroke except that he had a slight limp. He of course told us all he had had the aneurysm.

Anderson-1960's Seminar. Great Class. Learned a lot about liberals and why we face the challenges we are facing today in terms of our society. He also would do a class at the end of the semester where he would do a history of American Music.
football_expert
Bluegrass Ag, just as an aside, I wanted to tell you if you enjoy Bluegrass music that you might like a band a friend of mine is in. Their name is Spring Creek Bluegrass Band, you can check out their website under that name. They won some big festivals last summer in Colorado and are getting some wide acclaim.

Thought you might like to hear them
Pro Sandy
AG
I only had 1 history prof, Mr. Work. He was a doctoral candidate and I thoroughly enjoyed his 106 course and his US Military History course.

My favorite history prof was RJQ Adams. Anyone know him? He was the sponsor for the Aggie Aficionados (the official cigar club of A&M). We approached him about being our sponsor and he agreed. He joined us every Tuesday night (except Silver Taps night of course) for a cigar and to spout his knowledge and wisdom.

[/edit]
I found a picture of Dr. Adams. Just the kind of man you would expect to find with a cigar in his hand.

[This message has been edited by Pro Sandy (edited 3/7/2008 11:50p).]
LuckyDuck
AG
I took American Military History last fall with Dr. Lynn. I think he taught at West Point and the Army War College before coming to A&M. One of my favorite teachers that I've had here!
southcsag
I think that Dr. Calvert passed away in November or December 2000. He used to take some of us over to that other school in Austin to do research at the Barker Texas History Center. I was always concerned about going over there with him. He drove this very old Volvo stationwagon, but it always made it over there and back. It was a really good time--I did not know at the time what a treasure he was.
Cen-Tex
AG
Dr. Alan C. Ashcraft - a great lecturer of civil war history
48secDunk
AG
No mention of Dr. Conrad?

If you wanted to know anything about the Greeks, Romans, or Ancient History than Dr. Conrad was the man. To this day I remember the lessons from his history/classic courses. He was the type of professor who really got into his lessons and enjoyed teaching. Anyone know if he is still at A&M?

I also had Dr. Reese. The night before the final he had us all over at his place for the review. He even provided some "beverages" which led to a very lengthy discussion of communism vs. capitalism. He too was one of my favorites.
ty08
Love Seipp. He's my favorite by far. I'm in my third class with him. Simply a brilliant young professor in my opinion. He always has something very insightful to say on every topic.

Wasn't a fan of Dr. Bradford, maybe because he gave me a C. Hudson had some dry British humour but I didn't particularly enjoy the class I had with him. I liked Dunning, took him for two classes. Don't remember the rest.
Smokedraw01
quote:
Wasn't a fan of Dr. Bradford, maybe because he gave me a C.

Maybe you earned that C.

Rule #76: No excuses, play like a champion!
Howard Roark
AG
Agree with Dr. Reese. Awesome prof. I got to go to three of his reviews/dinners.

I think the liberal prof you all are thinking of is Resch. That guy was a genuine Marxist Historian.
GoneGirl
AG
Wow, I'm back as a History major after a 13 year absence and sad to see that most of the profs I enjoyed so much are gone. Dunning was awesome in Russian history - first day of class he tells us "I just want to put aside a common rumor that you might be familiar with - Catherine the Great DID NOT HAVE SEX WITH A HORSE - It was a horse GUARD."

Kostolnyk was great, again once you got past his accent. We have a family joke now, because in his class one day, he was talking about a town in France and he kept calling it "soysons". I was trying to figure out how to spell that when he wrote it on the board. It was my mom's home town of Soissons (pronounced swa-son). My mom thought that was cute. Wasn't he killed in a car accident a few years ago?

Krammer - had him for Nazi Germany. Always hard to get into his class cause the corps guys used to line up to take him as an elective.

I lean towards enjoying European and British history the most. I'll graduate in December and have to take 12 hours total between the summer and the fall. Only class I HAVE to have is senior seminar, and the rest are really filler classes to fulfill the conditions of my readmission. Who and what classes do you current students recommend? I'm pretty excited about the opportunity to take classes that weren't offered back in the early - to - mid 90's.
football_expert
Elsie, if you enjoy British history and you haven't already, take History of England with Hudson.
GoneGirl
AG
I took 214 (modern British history, I think). Not the mud - 1500 one. And Hanoverian England (437). Like I said, I'm really excited to see what's being offered. Are summer course schedules out yet? I only got my acceptance notification on Saturday, so I haven't had much time to think. We did go out to dinner on Saturday night to celebrate "mommy being an Aggie again."

[This message has been edited by TxElsie (edited 3/10/2008 1:28p).]
Smokedraw01
Take a shot on Reese's class over Soviet History.

RGV AG
AG
quote:
I think the liberal prof you all are thinking of is Resch. That guy was a genuine Marxist Historian.

Yes, yes it was Resch. That guy was to the left of Timothy Leary, I seriously did not enjoy or learn much in his western civ class. It should have been called "Western Civilization, with an arch Communist slant delivered in a condecending and blah manner". I stared out a history major, and after his class I changed my major for 3 semesters, but ended up going back to History.

Dunning was the Russian history professor that I had that I did not think much of. I did not like his reading list or his lecturing method. Couple what he did to the Marine Sargents in the class and my opinion of him was not good.

football_expert
When I took History of England with Hudson it was in the summer! You'll like it.
HHAG
AG
I thought Calvert's Texas history class was great and he was a nice guy. He had just finished writing a book with my uncle (Geography prof at N. TX), so we got along quite well.
Orbit
If you didn't take Dr. Krammer, you REALLY missed out - he was incredible.

Dr. Hudson's class on English history was enjoyable as well.
Howard Roark
AG
quote:
Dunning was the Russian history professor that I had that I did not think much of.

That makes more sense. Reese himself went to A&M and spent 4 years in the Army afterwards, so it would surprise me if he had done that, but I can see Dunning doing it. While I did like him, I agree that his lecture style sucked.
KED82
HW Brands BY FAR. It's sad to know he teaches at UT now.

[This message has been edited by KED82 (edited 3/11/2008 6:39a).]
Smokedraw01
I believe Reese actually went to UT but I could be wrong.

jobu93
AG
Dawson and Unterberger were my two favorites.

There was also a prof, visiting from West Point, who taught US Military History who was fascinating but who gave the most incredibly hard tests ever. I walked out of one test wonderring if I had gotten any thought on to paper which would save me from an F; I wound up with a B+. He NEVER gave anyone a passing grade on a test as he graded on a curve. I suppose I was one of the best of the worst.

My least favorite was a prof whom I can't remember her name...She taught Greek History (antiquity) and she was quite proud she was a Columbia grad and a native New Yorker. The material coupled with her accent and arrogance really rubbed me the wrong way.
Crocker91
AG
Calvert was a great prof. Loved his lecture.

Krammer was the best prof I had at A&M in any subject. Had him for Nazi Germany and Germany from 1870. He is the most amazing lecturer I've ever heard.
QBCade
AG
ProSandy, thanks for finding the pic!

RJQ Adams taught my History of England class in '95. Interesting chap for sure.
Pro Sandy
AG
QB,

I loved RJQ Adams and enjoyed our weekly cigar. Never had him as a prof, but he imparted much British history on us at Cigar Club.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.