Your Favorite History Prof at A&M

13,038 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 2000AgPhD
Aggies Revenge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The thread on British History got me thinking. Who was your favorite prof in the history department.

For me it was Dr. Kosztolnyik (once you got past his accent his class was quite interesting)

followed closely by Dr. Bradford's Naval History class.
football_expert
Definitely Dr. Bradford, followed closely by Dr. Hudson. I never got to take his class, regrettably, but I heard Dr. Krammer was an excellent professor. His book "Nazi POW's In America" is very good.

Nice thread.

[This message has been edited by football_expert (edited 3/4/2008 1:04p).]
Justin2010
AG
Dr. Krammer is VERY good.
RGV AG
AG
Wasn't or isn't Krammer a very left wing dude, that at one time was a member of the US communist part? If it is the same guy I took two classes from him and was not impressed in the slightest, and I am not a conservative by any means.

I had a proffessor for two classes, for the life of me I can't remember his name, but he looked just like David Byrne the lead singer of the talking heads, the classes were on European history and I throughly enjoyed those more than any other history classes I took at A&M.

This guy only tought two classes every semester and was desperately trying to get on at t.u., hey we all make serious mistakes in life. His classes and testing methods were the best that I experienced in the History Department.
jeffag02
Yes Naval History was the best with Dr. Bradford!

I remember when I took it, the U.S. was about to relinquish control of the Panama Canal and turn it over to Panama. I remember him saying "If Panama gives us any problems I have a feeling the U.S. Navy would take it back in about 20 minutes." Such a great class.
football_expert
quote:
Wasn't or isn't Krammer a very left wing dude, that at one time was a member of the US communist part? If it is the same guy I took two classes from him and was not impressed in the slightest, and I am not a conservative by any means.

I had a proffessor for two classes, for the life of me I can't remember his name, but he looked just like David Byrne the lead singer of the talking heads, the classes were on European history and I throughly enjoyed those more than any other history classes I took at A&M.

This guy only tought two classes every semester and was desperately trying to get on at t.u., hey we all make serious mistakes in life. His classes and testing methods were the best that I experienced in the History Department

Do you have any solid proof of him having been in the communist party? I would be really disappointed to know that...
07ag
AG
Bradford
tarrantcountyag
AG
Krammer.
Ol Waco Ag
AG
Perhaps I'm a bit too old Army for this thread. However, the late Dr Alan Ashcraft was in a league of his own
aalan94
AG
No, Dr. Krammer was certainly a democrat, but not a far left guy by any means. You must be thinking of someone else.

Krammer was the best history prof I had (and I'm a pretty conservative guy).

Dr. Kostalnyk (appologize if I butchered the spelling) was also not bad, if, as has been mentioned above, you can get past his accident.

I had that class the same year that the Bram Stoker Dracula movie came out and Dr. K is a dead ringer for the actor who played Dracula.
OldArmy71
AG
I had Dr. Kostolnyk in the spring of 1969 for the first semester of English history. He was excellent, a real scholar.

Was it Dr. Taylor who looked like the Talking Heads guy? I had him in the fall of 1970 for the second half of English history. He was also excellent.

Dr. Victor Treat was good for US from Roosevelt to Roosevelt (he also worked in the ticket booths in G. Rollie on football game days and liked to talk about A&M sports).

[This message has been edited by OldArmy71 (edited 3/4/2008 9:27p).]
Danger Mouse
AG
As a fish (1987) I took a history class called History of American Naval Seapower. That was a great class but I totally forgot the name of the prof. I was one of the only non-regs in that class.

[This message has been edited by Danger Mouse (edited 3/5/2008 2:31p).]
Mellow Johnny
AG
Brands.
Guitarsoup
AG
Bradford
Martin Cash
AG
Waco is right. Anyone who didn't have a chance to take classes from Dr. Alan Ashcraft missed a real treat.
Boozoo
AG
I only took one history class and that's because the state of Texas made me do it.

When I took the ACT's and started off college life at WTAMU (then WTSU), they gave me 9 hours history credit right off the bat.

My swollen ego was replaced several years later with frustration and anger when Dr. Fleming told me I couldn't graduate without having three hours in-class. Well crap. I took a world history class over summer. Showed up to class maybe 4 times and walked out with one of the few A's I could muster through my Shiner-induced haze of academic life. LOL

Looking back, I really wish I had more electives to work with when I was at A&M. I missed out on a golden opportunity.
southcsag
Dr. Robert A. Calvert or Dr. Victor Treat, hard to pick from either one of them. They were both very passionate about Texas History. I hate that Dr. Calvert is no longer with us. His problems course in Texas History was great.
RGV AG
AG
Expert:
quote:
Do you have any solid proof of him having been in the communist party? I would be really disappointed to know that...

It is possible that I might be confused, the guy that I am talking about usually taught several sections of Western Civ. This guy was way left wing and brought too many current events into play during a history class.

I can't believe that I have forgotten so many names. I took American Agricultural History, which I was not looking forward to, but turned out to be a really good class.

Brands is probably the guy that I mentioned earlier, I think. If so he was a very, very good professor.

Victor Treat was also very good as was Kostolnyc(sp). I had a Russian history class with a another prof that I did not think was too swift at all, of course I can't remember his name.

There was a history prof at Blinn, that was really a bit loony. He had been let go at A&M after years of service, I wish I could remember his name also. He was like the lunatic that took the substitute job in the movie "Teachers". I think his name was May. He would bring carved busts of historical figures to class pretty regularly and would get so worked up he would spit on the front two rows.
dcAg
Dr. Stranges - The History of Science in America
Gunner90'
Dr. Dawson
depogs
AG
Dr. Reese is cool i took Soviet Union with him and Dr Kramer for American Foreign Relations was awesome, also Seipp for European military history. One prof that i definitely disliked was Yarak he was so condascending to students and he would make liberal remarks but if you tried to counter them he would try to belittle you.
Dr. Devil Dog
I wish I had taken the naval history class. Some of my good ones were
-history of Christianity; the professor definitely liked to get a reaction out of the students, though
-class with Terry Anderson
-wish I had taken one with Brands
CrockerCock00
AG
Bradford.

I almost stuck around for another semester just so I could go to Italy and take the Maritime History of the Mediterranian and WWII history class he was teaching abroad.

Looking back, I am very sorry that I did not.
terata
AG
What about Dr. Unterberger? Anyone?
saxxeyaggie
Dr. Bradford as well.

I had him for two classes Navel Sea Power and a Seminar Class over the History of WWII.

I just remember from his Navel Sea class don't fall asleep. I've seen him hit somebody in the back of class with a marker square in the chest.

As for his WWII class that man knows his stuff. He was able to just lecture us off the top of his head.
football_expert
I don't remember many really particular details about college classes, but I'll always remember the first day of Bradford's class he went off about the plural form of the word syllabus. He said something like. "Now, I'm going to go ahead and hand out your syllabuses, and before anyone corrects me and tells me the plural would be "syllabi", you're wrong, because it doesn't contain a precedent in Latin that proves the plural would end in i" He said something like that, very seriously, and I knew then that it was going to be a pretty interesting semester.
Looser Moran Stocker
Is Bradford still there - I liked him for both 106 (I think it was) and a special topics class of US Post Nuclear Military History years ago.
Looser Moran Stocker
Is Bradford still there - I liked him for both 106 (I think it was) and a special topics class of US Post Nuclear Military History years ago.
RGV AG
AG
Agree big time on Yarak, Reese is the guy I had for Russian history that did not impress me in the slightest. Which does not mean much, but he held the grades of some Marine Sargents that got called back to active duty during the first Gulf War, their other prof's passed them so that they and a few others could be comissioned before actual graduation. Those guys could not be so they went on to be in the Gulf for about a year as Sargents instead of Lt's. I did not think that was cool at all.
football_expert
Is Reese a really tall guy who specialized in Nazi Germany history?
TheCzar
AG
Reese is the Soviet Union guy, and probably my favorite prof. while I was at A&M.

I was not there during the 1st Gulf War, so I was unaware of what happened to those soldiers.
SigChiDad
AG
Henry C. Dethloff. Big fan of history of TAMU. Very good lecturer.
84HartAg
AG
James H Dozier.
Before you bombard me with replies that he was not a History Prof, hear me out. The classes he taught were FIN 202 (Texas Real Estate) and I believe FIN 404. He was an attorney, a disabled veteran (with a stump for a hand that he would wave around in the air and shake at you like someone shaking their fist at you), a t-sip, a huge believer in investing your hard earned money in land, a golfer, etc....

Very interesting and colorful. Some say down right vulgar (learned the true origin of the word "motherXXXXer".

I learned more Texas History from this man than ANY History course I ever took at A&M or any other institution from which I transferred in a History class.

Both the 202 and 404 I took were 8:00 AM classes, and I looked forward to getting up and going.

He almost dared anyone to take his final. 50 T or F questions that were tricky as hell. I had a 79 average in one of those, so I went for it, and I did get a B.

Wish all of my professors had been half as interesting as Dozier.

TheSheik
AG
ditto Dr Treat

the worst ?
I think her name was Sarah Alford/Ashford or something like that - we spent maybe 15 minutes on WWI - start to finish and several weeks on Susan Anthony and women's suffrage - I did not enjoy that class.
BQ78
AG
Terata:

I'll say in Dr. Unterberger.

I also liked Dr Snyder but I think he was Poly Sci.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.