Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

**** 2024 Fat Loss & Health Goals ****

47,363 Views | 472 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by bagger05
texag06ish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LFG!!!
aggiederelict
How long did it take for you to start showing noticeable results?
texag06ish
AG
I've lost about 70lbs.

I started tracking my macros and putting in light cardio back in mid-August. I added weight training in Mid-October and I'm just now starting to see real changes in my body composition.

Hope that helps.
True Anomaly
AG
aggiederelict said:

How long did it take for you to start showing noticeable results?
Which time?

I think this is highly dependent on your current level of body fat, and also what "noticeable results" is. If you're going from 35% to 30%, it's hard to notice a difference- although you'll definitely feel it. But going from 15% to 10% is strikingly noticeable with each percent lost.

Plus, the lower your bodyfat% is, the lower your calorie intake needs to be to actually see results- but reducing your calories too much will make it more likely you'll burn more muscle along with the fat

So almost 3 years ago, I went from 200# --> 148#, which apparently equated to going from 33% BF to 9% BF (according to an InBody scale, which ain't the most accurate tool out there). I drastically reduced my calories, so this took about 6 months. And because I had such reduced calories, I lost a good bit of muscle as well as fat. I would say it took about 2-3 of those months to see real "noticeable results"- and then I just kept going.

Now I live between 160-170# during the year because I finally started tracking my protein as well as being consistent with weight training. This now equates to going from 15-20% bodyfat to close to 10% for me. So over the past couple of years, I've been able to add back muscle so I am now leaner at a higher weight. When I lost this amount of weight a year ago, it took about 2-3 months

This is way more info than you asked for, and you definitely don't need to be as obsessed as I am with the details. But I love this stuff
bagger05
AG
First weigh in today to get my starting point. No need to fear the truth. I'm at 227.8. Probably as high as I've ever been. But just gonna make my success all the more satisfying.

Plan is for lots of intention, reflection, and measurement. I've had the most success when I've been a bit obsessive. And that's fine. Just gonna lean into it.

I've got a good plan. Nothing about it is hard. I just have to do it.

Checked important boxes this morning. Up with no snooze. Weighed in. Took a photo. Got to the gym. Good workout.

Hope all you other clowns are getting after it today.

LFG! This is the year!
jograki
AG
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 160

Goals:
1. 3 strict pull-ups by May
2. Deadlift 1.25x body weight
Pirate04
AG
37 F
5'6"
164 lbs

Goal weight: 150 lbs
Health goal: generally feel better and have better gut health.
Currently practicing 16:8 fasting, slowly working up to 24hour periods and eventually a 3 day fast by the end of this month.
bagger05
AG
First normal Monday of the year, party people.

If your routine isn't in high gear yet, time to get after it.
TXTransplant
jograki said:

Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 160

Goals:
1. 3 strict pull-ups by May
2. Deadlift 1.25x body weight

Forgot to add pull-ups to my goal. I'm at 4-5 in a row (can barely squeak out 5 on a good day). Want to do 5 good ones and get to 7.
jograki
AG
Very nice! I am starting an 8 week pullup program soon and will probably go through it twice because I took a big step back in upper body strength when I had surgery this past summer. Hope to get to where you are.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Height; 6' 1"
Weight: 185

Goal weight: 170 with 15% body fat. I believe I'm around 21% BF now
texag06ish
AG
Not my best week.

I managed to find the motivation to force a run in 3x (didn't get in a single 5k though) and lift 4x last week. My runs were lazy and my weight training was slowed down by a sore tricep.

Regardless, I did really well with my diet and still managed to lose some weight. Currently sitting at 247.2.
GeorgiAg
AG
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 230 (already down to 224 - 12 days no alcohol and starting exercise program)
BP: embarrassingly high even on meds

Goal: 175 lbs
Goal BP: 130/90 - normal would be nice but I've had HBP since age 25.

Running goal: Half Marathon or at least a 15k
Cycling goal: Probably a bridge too far, but I'd love to take GF on Silver Comet/Chief Ladiga Trail from Cedartown, GA to Anniston, AL - 82 miles round trip. Did this twice in 2016. Very challenging because you need to learn to balance water/electrolytes and glucose while riding. I have to get lean - can't do this with 50 lbs of fat on me.

I have a membership to One Life Fitness but I hate the new gym. I had an arcade in the basement that was built by the prior owner. Almost done remodeling (paint, new LVP floor, baseboards). Bought and installed Trex, Peloton tread and Peloton bike. Need to purchase a weight lifting cage and a new bench. Already have the weights and my old bench and rack suck, so I need to get new ones.

If I cut out all alcohol, that's 1,500 calories per day (yeah I know - see Dryuary thread), plus the poor food choices, plus feeling good enough to exercise, I could easily have a 2,000 calorie per day swing from my poor 2023 habits.

Currently 2 days strict keto/carnivore. Meat with occasional veggie like broccoli/brussels. I also plan on intermittent fasting.
GeorgiAg
AG
Also, for those trying to get down from 190 + below, this is a good celebratory song when the scale hits 189 and below:

And for the record, the guitar in Nirvana's "Come as you are" is a rip off of this guitar riff. Geordie Walker, RIP.

Sweep4-2
Early 50's male and didn't have a goal until Saturday when I went to weigh and do bodyfat analysis on a reliable machine. Currently 5'11", 184 lbs and 19% bodyfat.

Goal is 172 lbs at 12% bodyfat. Had some other goals (running related) but those are on the shelf due to injury and PT. Will re-evaluate those later.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Height: 6'
Current Weight: 239 (as of January 2nd)
Desired Weight: 200ish
Goals: Reach and maintain 200. Feel better in general, improve mental clarity, be a better husband and father.

I started the Carnivore Diet on January 2nd and lost 7-8 pounds in the past week with literally no exercise. As of yesterday, I feel better and more energetic than I have in a long time. I do plan to start mixing in some physical activity as well. My plan is to make it to the end of January and re-evaluate the diet (i.e. maybe add some healthy snacks or vegetables that won't be detrimental to the Carnivore diet). But I am thinking I will likely do the Carnivore through the end of February and certainly plan to stay completely away from alcohol until then.
Cyp0111
Think adding veggies would be a good idea
bagger05
AG
Avoided getting derailed yesterday. Got going a little late and for some reason that usually translates into a bunch of bad decisions. Grabbing breakfast on the way to work, latte instead of black coffee, something not healthy for lunch… eventually that turns into just saying "screw it" for the whole day. And THAT often turns into "well the week is shot I'll just start over on Monday."

Instead went for a quick walk (instead of totally skipping it) and made good decisions all day after that.

Snowball effect can be positive, too.

Hope y'all are having a great week so far. Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress updates soon.
CFTXAG10
AG
Weird question: Anyone utilizing their lunch hour to work out? I am thinking about it myself. +/- ?

Figure I can budget 30-40 minutes in the middle of the day most days with my current schedule.
jograki
AG
When my office finishes its construction and has a new gym, I was thinking lunch hour workouts for me would just be working on lifts or getting steps in, but nothing that gets you too sweaty. I also like the idea of doing yoga at work since that seems like it could be calming.
Ryan the Temp
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Weird question: Anyone utilizing their lunch hour to work out? I am thinking about it myself. +/- ?

Figure I can budget 30-40 minutes in the middle of the day most days with my current schedule.
Most days I try to walk 2-3 miles on my lunch.
bagger05
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

CFTXAG10 said:

I like this. Personally doing anything that would require a shower complicates things.
TAMUAG07
AG
I have the most consistency and best results with working out at lunch time. A couple of reasons:

1.) I'm not a morning person and getting myself and the kids out the door takes all of our effort
2.) After work, I'm busy coaching/shuttling kids around which leaves me too tired/unmotivated to work out afterwards
3.) The lunch time workout is a double whammy because you get a workout in and it forces you to avoid all the unhealthy lunch options and bring your own healthy lunch

I work in the Houston Galleria area and go to a gym right around the corner from my office. It's one of the best areas for food in Houston but putting the blinders on and going to the gym helps me avoid falling into a bad nutrition trap. If any lunch meetings are scheduled at work, I take an hour before lunch or leave work an hour early and go to the gym before heading home.

You have to be able to shower fast though!
CFTXAG10
AG
I appreciate all the feedback. I think I am going to give it a shot and see how it goes.
GeorgiAg
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Before Covid hit, two of my partners and I had a compact. Every Tues/Thurs we leave for the gym at 11:50. Dress out, work out, then hit the showers at 12:45 or so, then go eat a Subway b/c it is close and fast. If you order with the app at the gym, the sandwich is ready when you get there.

If someone bellyaches about going, it was open season to give him hell. I can't tell you how many mornings I didn't feel like working out, but I packed my gym back because I didn't want to be called a p**** all afternoon.

A lunchtime workout is a good break to the day.
Ryan the Temp
AG
TAMUAG07 said:

I have the most consistency and best results with working out at lunch time.
I really enjoy getting a workout during lunch, even if it is just power walking for a couple of miles. I figure it's time I would spend sitting on my ass anyway. I have, however, pushed myself into a routine of going to the gym to do real cardio for 30-40 minutes most days right after I feed the pets dinner. That requires a lot more planning on my part to eat dinner at a reasonable time, which also helps me make better meals.
TXTransplant
Ryan the Temp said:

CFTXAG10 said:

I try to do the same, assuming the weather is nice and/or I'm not swamped with work (but that shouldn't be an excuse).

I workout (cardio or lifting) in the evenings during the week. I feel SO much better when I leave work for the day if I get my lunch time walk in. When I don't walk, I feel sluggish, have brain fog, and it's so much harder to get my workout going. Bonus is I ALWYAYS hit/exceed my move goal for the day if I get my walk in. Mentally, it makes it easier to press through my workout if I know I'm going to meet my goal.

Walking is a good compromise because I don't get too sweaty. In the dog days of summer when it's hotter than Hades and sunset is much later, I'll do the walk after my evening workout (so I don't have to smell myself while I'm at my desk for the rest of the day).
Ryan the Temp
AG
Quote:

I workout (cardio or lifting) in the evenings during the week. I feel SO much better when I leave work for the day if I get my lunch time walk in. When I don't walk, I feel sluggish, have brain fog, and it's so much harder to get my workout going. Bonus is I ALWYAYS hit/exceed my move goal for the day if I get my walk in. Mentally, it makes it easier to press through my workout if I know I'm going to meet my goal.
Get out of my head!

If I can go to the gym with 9,000-10,000 steps already then I am much more motivated because I don't feel like I have to kill myself making my numbers for the day.
bagger05
AG
Reminder: the best workout plan is the one you actually do.
RustyBoltz
AG
With only an hour lunch and no showers at the office, I could never make a lunch workout feasible. It's too rushed, and my temperature doesn't come down quick enough so even if I did manage a shower, I'm still sweating when I got back to the office.
Instead, I've slowly worked back to get w/o and cardio in first thing.

At lunch I may walk after eating, do some stretches or light core exercises and/or take a 15min nap.
Hoss
AG
Height: 6'-0"
Current weight: 330
Desired weight: 225ish

My goal is to average 2 pounds a week for the year. A lofty goal but attainable and healthy.
texag06ish
AG
You can do it! We have similar starting points and goals.

I'm averaging 3lbs a week with a diet of 2200 daily calories and a total 4200 calories burned (per my Apple Watch).
GeorgiAg
AG
bagger05 said:

Reminder: the best workout plan is the one you actually do.
Good advice. Also, you can't outrun a bad diet. Weight loss begins in the kitchen.
GeorgiAg
AG
RustyBoltz said:

With only an hour lunch and no showers at the office, I could never make a lunch workout feasible. It's too rushed, and my temperature doesn't come down quick enough so even if I did manage a shower, I'm still sweating when I got back to the office.
Instead, I've slowly worked back to get w/o and cardio in first thing.

At lunch I may walk after eating, do some stretches or light core exercises and/or take a 15min nap.
Yeah, in order to have a meaningful workout (and eat), it's about an hour and a half lunch.
Pirate04
AG
Completed my first intentional 24 hour fast yesterday. Plan to keep it up one day a week for now. Consistently fasting 18-20 hours every day and it's feeling good!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.