Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The 2020 Trail Running Thread

17,437 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RockOn
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wangus12 said:

So I'm training a buddy of mine up for a RR100m next year. This is the first 100m I've written a program for and I'd appreciate any advice I can pass along. He is skipping from a half straight to 100m, but he does have an endurance background.

He's almost got me convinced to join him although I may settle at the 100km. Not sure my knees can handle 100m or the training for it.
just grab one of the plans out of Relentless Forward Progress. Hell, tell him to buy that and read it.
coop-aero-06
AG
Get Jason Koop's Book. I've coached myself to many ultramarathon finishes using the principles from that book.

Aside from that, here are my opinions:

• Consistent training volume is very important. Your friend likely already knows this if he's coming from an endurance background. I would recommend 6 days/week of training from now until race day. I'm not going to give specific mileages since I don't know this person, but he needs to be building up the mileage using periodization (a few weeks of building followed by a recovery week).
  • Nutrition is the next most important aspect of a 100 mile race. (I'm not talking about elite runners who can run a 12 hour 100-mile race while only consuming gu roctane all day). You need to have a plan for what he will be eating and drinking during the race. To that end, you need to mimic your race-day nutrition in training. For example, if you plan on drinking Tailwind, taking a gel every 45 minutes, and eating a PB&J sandwich every 3 hours, then that needs to happen in training. I used to be horrible at taking in calories during a race, and I've bonked many times at ultramarathons. But when I started using my nutrition in my training, I got much better.
  • Long runs. For ultras, I don't look at long runs as fitness builders as much as I look at them as opportunities to put yourself in race situations. Let me illustrate with a story. In 2017 I was training for my first 100k, and 2 weeks from race day I had a really big weekend of training planned, a 30k race on Saturday and a marathon on Sunday. I thought back to back hard long runs like that would be a great way to build fitness. But both of those races were run under 8 min pace and neither lasted longer than 3.5 hours. My goal for the 100k was something like 12 min pace. I would have been much better off skipping both races, and going out on a 30-35 mile easy run at 12 min pace that would have taken 6 hours or so. The idea is to get used to the feeling of running 12 min pace all day, to put yourself in a position where you need to be following your race-day nutrition plan for the whole long run. That would have been much better than whatever fitness I gained from running two fast races. I DNF'd that 100k because my stomach turned on me and I stopped eating 35 miles into the race.
  • Plan at least 1 long run in the darkness. Get used to running with a headlamp for hours on end.
  • Do all the long runs with the pack/gear that will be used during the race.

That's probably more than you were asking for, but I geek out on this stuff. If you have any more specific questions, let me know.
RockOn
For training philosophy, I prefer the book "Training for the uphill athlete" by Johnston/House.

And then they have training plans on their website: https://www.uphillathlete.com/training-plans/#mountain-running-training

But since Rocky Racoon is so flat, one of the mileage-based training plans in RFP that OO mentioned would probably be sufficient.
AggieOO
coop is just dropping 50+ mile runs at a 9:30 pace and not even coming on here to brag.
coop-aero-06
AG
Here I am. Give me the blue stars!

I figure that most people are on the texags strava page, so posting here is kind of redundant. The route that I ran is pretty cool though. It follows the Truckee River from its start as the outlet of Lake Tahoe all the way to downtown Reno.

There's a local trail group that's been working on getting this trail built for at least 5 years and they just finished a critical section of it this spring so you can connect Tahoe to Reno now. The next step is to complete the trail along the river as it travels northeast another 60 miles to its end at Pyramid Lake. I think there's about 20 miles of missing trail east of Reno that is under development.

I thought about submitting this weekend's route as an FKT, but I think it would be better to wait until the entire Tahoe-Pyramid Trail is complete from Lake Tahoe all the way to Pyramid Lake.
RockOn
ill have to join this strava group.
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

Here I am. Give me the blue stars!

I figure that most people are on the texags strava page, so posting here is kind of redundant. The route that I ran is pretty cool though. It follows the Truckee River from its start as the outlet of Lake Tahoe all the way to downtown Reno.

There's a local trail group that's been working on getting this trail built for at least 5 years and they just finished a critical section of it this spring so you can connect Tahoe to Reno now. The next step is to complete the trail along the river as it travels northeast another 60 miles to its end at Pyramid Lake. I think there's about 20 miles of missing trail east of Reno that is under development.

I thought about submitting this weekend's route as an FKT, but I think it would be better to wait until the entire Tahoe-Pyramid Trail is complete from Lake Tahoe all the way to Pyramid Lake.
sure we saw it on Strava, but you just gave us a lot more info than was on strava. You ran in the downhill direction, no?

I think i'm mostly just looking for some discussion on the thread...between all the events getting canceled and still not being able to run, I'm starving for something.
coop-aero-06
AG
That's fair. I agree that without any races going on, I'm struggling to find good running content to read or listen to these days.

The run was downhill, with the flow of the river. That's the other reason I didn't advertise the run too much. Technically, this was a 50 mile PR for me, but it feels cheap because of the net downhill. My 50 mile PR was at American River last year in 8:47 and my 50 mile split on Sunday was 8:16.

We also had a tailwind for much of the day because a storm was hitting the area that afternoon. It was alternating sunny, drizzly, and snow flurries for the day. The cool temps and tailwind definitely helped.

In both of my previous 50 mile races I hit a low spot at mile 35 with bad stomach cramps and trouble eating, but this time everything was much better. I think the cool weather helped, but I've also been training with nutrition a lot more recently and I think I've trained my stomach to tolerate the gels and clif bars.

There was also a big black bear about 10 yards off the trail right at the start! At 4:40am, I was walking over to the dam to start the run at the official headwaters of the river and I heard some leaves rustling in the darkness and glanced over and this bear filled up the entire region of light that my headlamp provided. That was fun.
AggieOO
you said "we." how many people ran it?

i wish i could get to sub 9 on a 50...i've gotten close. I'm sure if/when i can run again, i can probably get there, but its going to be a long build and my days of running fast are numbered at this point.
coop-aero-06
AG
One of my training friends who isn't on Strava ran the whole thing with me. He's a terrific runner in his early 50's. We picked up another friend a mile 24 and he ran with us until mile 39. Then we picked up another friend at mile 39 who ran with us until the end.
oldarmy76
What's the texags strava club name?
AggieOO
Look for the club texags.com
oldarmy76
Thanks. Was missing the .com.
RockOn
If there's no vert leaderboard, I'll never make it haha
RockOn
So in the 1 month of living/training in Ogden, my Malans peak segment times have gone
56:23
52:22
51:06
43:26

Its about 2 miles and 2100 ft up. Love those "beginner" gains.
coop-aero-06
AG
Nice! I had a similar experience after moving to Nevada, it just took me longer to get there. I went for a few runs in my first week in town and basically gave up because I found the altitude so challenging. Then I proceeded to gain about 30 pounds over the next year. Then I finally got my act together and started training. Kudos to you for getting out there on the mountains early on!
RockOn
Its been interesting. In the past Ive struggled hard when getting close to the rim at the grand canyon (7,000ft) and also out in Oregon at 9500 ft. Today I climbed up Granduer which is 3300 ft ascent to about 8,200 and felt totally fine. Guess acclimation does work.
Sponge
AG
That will be excellent practice for the Run up for Air: Malans race in February. Or you could do the original grandeur event on the same day.
RockOn
I'll probably do both but as 6 hr events since they're on separate weekends.
RockOn

Ran up to Lake Blanche (6.4mi, 2700ft) on Monday as a date. If you're a single dude that likes to trail run or mountain bike, get your butt up to SLC now.
AggieOO
Badwater is approved with all permits.
coop-aero-06
AG
The field will be significantly smaller. The majority (maybe all) of the international runners can't travel to the race. Will be interesting to follow.
AggieOO
yeah, saw that its about 60 runners.

I'm somewhat surprised that NPS gave them their permits.
coop-aero-06
AG
Enjoy the scenery!
AggieOO
Aaaaaand, badwater canceled.
coop-aero-06
AG
Howdy trail running friends. I wanted to let yall know that tomorrow morning I'm setting out to run the entire 172-mile Tahoe Rim Trail, and I will be attempting to set a new unsupported FKT on the route. I'll have a spot tracker with me, but I'm not 100% confident that I know how to use the thing so my apologies if the tracking doesn't work. On the following link, click on "History Mode" on the left navigation bar, and then click on "7d" so you can see the tracking history over the previous 7 days.

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/GPMS

I'm also doing this run to raise funds for Alzheimer's Research in memory of my grandfather who passed away from Alzheimer's on April 29th of this year. He was a true old Ag, class of 1953 and played trombone in the band. He had a long, successful career with A&M working as the assistant to President Rudder and President Williams, before assuming the role of Dean of Admissions for the last ~10 years of his career. He was also given the honor to give the address at the Campus Muster in 2003, the year of his 50th class reunion. If you want to contribute, the link is here:

https://gf.me/u/ycv3j4

For more info on the Tahoe Rim Trail FKT history, see here:

https://fastestknowntime.com/route/tahoe-rim-trail-ca

I'll post a trip report after the run, whether or not I'm successful in setting the FKT.
AggieOO
saw this on FB, as we have at least one, if not more, friends in common.

Good luck! Definitely interested in hearing how it goes! Still living vicariously through those who can run, so will try to check in on progress over the next few days.
coop-aero-06
AG
Thanks for the message, and for the donation!
RockOn
I think I saw this on IG before reading it here. Good luck! This is awesome.
RockOn
Headed up Mt timpanogos tomororow night for first time. Wish me luck!
oldarmy76
Any update?
AggieOO
Looks like he's on the south side of the lake, but tough to tell how far along he is.
coop-aero-06
AG
My run came to an end at mile 68 early this morning. I just wasn't able to eat enough after about 12 hours. I kept going for several more hours, laid down to rest for a few hours hoping that things would turn around, but it never got any better. Thanks for the support, everyone. Ultra running is hard
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

My run came to an end at mile 68 early this morning. I just wasn't able to eat enough after about 12 hours. I kept going for several more hours, laid down to rest for a few hours hoping that things would turn around, but it never got any better. Thanks for the support, everyone. Ultra running is hard

I've been there, so completely understand. This stuff happens. It'll be there another day for anotherattempt. Hope you were able to at least enjoy some of the 68 miles.
RockOn
Any tips on acclimating to elevation? I'm struggling over 10,000 ft. In addition to moving real slow, my stomach will knot up, won't digest anything, and then I'll puke. Pure water is about the only thing I can take down when above 10k.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.