Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The 2020 Trail Running Thread

17,417 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RockOn
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dude that stinks!

Cooper is right, time for some saddle time. Keep us posted.
sims05
AG
Good luck with the recovery. Remember to listen to the doctors.
ptothemo
AG
Definitely sucks and I'm sorry to hear it. Here's to recovery and getting back - whatever that ends up being.
AggieOO
Appreciate the support. Was fully expecting to be sidelined, but stress fracture was a bit of a shock. Recovery is about the same, but being on crutches with a 17 month old is a big drag...and I feel for my wife more than anything.

I'm banned from all activities for a while, but the bike was the plan for a while anyway, so I won't be broken up when I can ride.
coop-aero-06
AG
HURT 100 is going on today on the island of Oahu. Tracking here.

https://ultrasignup.com/live/live.htm?dtid=35536#search

Only names I recognize on the start list are Gary Robbins, Candice Burt, and one of my local friends.
AggieOO
Feel like candice and Gary are always there.
zachsccr
AG
2nd overall Shannon 10K trail race at Middle Concho Park today. Muddy and and slippery but it was so much fun. It's weird going from road pacing to trail pacing and trying to gauge how to run it. 2 more runs in the series at San Angelo State Park. If any of you are in the area, it'd be worth coming out for. So fun.
coop-aero-06
AG
Congrats! I agree on the pacing. It's tough always going between roads and trails.
AggieOO
zachsccr said:

2nd overall Shannon 10K trail race at Middle Concho Park today. Muddy and and slippery but it was so much fun. It's weird going from road pacing to trail pacing and trying to gauge how to run it. 2 more runs in the series at San Angelo State Park. If any of you are in the area, it'd be worth coming out for. So fun.
congrats! I'm out that way for work a couple times a month, but never on the weekends.
AggieOO
Not trail, but probably of interest to the trail/ultra crowd.

Walmsley ran a 62:18 at RnR Arizona yesterday. Yes, the course was slightly short, but would still be faster than his houston time from last year.. There have been a lot of doubters for him running roads and the trials, but the dude is crushing it. I wouldn't be shocked to see him make the team. And I'm really interested in seeing what he does at Comrades.

edit for clarification - I don't know that he WILL make the olympic team, but it won't be shocking to me if he snags that third spot.
AggieOO
well, got some good news/bad news from the MRI. Good news is no stress fracture. Bad news is I have a labral tear in the hip. I won't be running for quite a while, but I was cleared to do some stuff on the bike, swimming, etc. And I can start ditching the crutches as the pain lessens.
coop-aero-06
AG
Dang, sorry to hear about that. Good luck with the recovery.

On the Walmsley news, I wouldn't be shocked to see him run 2:11 at the trials. I haven't really studied the field very much yet, so I don't know how that's likely to stack up against the competition. It cracks me up that the LetsRun bros treat him like some dopey trail runner; he's legit.
c-jags
zachsccr said:

I did just find out I can't make the Crazy Desert Trail race this year. Conflict I wasn't expecting.

On the other hand my crew is debating going out to Utah to run at Zion National Park in September.

I'm hoping I have enough brownie points stored up for that by then.
oldarmy76
Did goodwater (just the 8 mile) today. Weather was perfect! The ladies were crushing the 8 mile finishing 1-3 overall.
I only fell once and miraculously avoided any major cuts.
AggieOO
oldarmy76 said:

Did goodwater (just the 8 mile) today. Weather was perfect! The ladies were crushing the 8 mile finishing 1-3 overall.
I only fell once and miraculously avoided any major cuts.

Nice job! I had planned on being out there volunteering, but the wife had a work event and it's a little difficult for me to move around with the little one right now due to injury.
oldarmy76
Thanks! Do you know how long it normally takes spectrum to post results? They still don't seam to be up.
AggieOO
oldarmy76 said:

Thanks! Do you know how long it normally takes spectrum to post results? They still don't seam to be up.

Usually pretty quick. Typically have the live tracking link going that you can check immediately. I checked FB, but didn't see a live link. Post race email will likely go out tomorrow or Monday.
AggieOO
https://results.raceroster.com/results/e3btmukerxrfdnp4
oldarmy76
I can't believe someone can run a 3:14 marathon on that terrain. That's incredible! I think that was the fastest average pace of any of the 4 races.

Of course, an 8:08 double is amazing as well.
AggieOO
Both those times are legit. There are some easy stretches on the marathon loop, but it's still miles of gnarly footing for much of the course.
oldarmy76
Anyone doing or have done the hells hills race In Smithville before? I'm eyeing that as my next race but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
AggieOO
I have. Not my favorite course, though the back half is much better than the front half that just folds over on itself over and over. I think the thing that sours me on that race is that it always seems to be super humid.

That all said, it's a Tejas trails race, so it's very well put together and supported. I'd say it's worth running if you've never done it.
zachsccr
AG
2nd Shannon Trail series run in San Angelo. This one was 12k at the state park. Cold but beautiful morning for a running event. Still loving the break from road racing.
AggieOO
One of my friends took 4th at RR100, and another got 8th.

Looks like MexAgs finished in 22 hours and change.
bushytailed
AG
AggieOO said:

One of my friends took 4th at RR100, and another got 8th.

Looks like MexAgs finished in 22 hours and change.

I had one friend that finished in 22:22 and another that finished in 23:52.
LEJ
zachsccr said:

I rucked the 10k at the Armydillo Run/Ruck at MC Park last fall. Where you there?
Ragoo
AG
Has anyone done Pine Springs to Guadalupe MTN Peak? Thinking about doing it next Sunday. I will be working in the area for 10 days or so.

Anyone want to join?
AggieOO
Yep. It's a tough run. The first stretch is very steep, and a lot of it is very technical. If you take the horse trail up/down, it adds some distance but is less steep in that first stretch.

If you want a good/hard long run, I did pine springs to dog canyon and back. It's a gorgeous run, and you won't see many, if any, people. I got 25 miles round trip, and there's a water spigot at dog canyon.
Ragoo
AG
My main goal would be to summit. Think start at sun up and finish before noon.
AggieOO
Will likely be cold and very windy this time of year.
Ragoo
AG
Yeah. Drove by yesterday on my way to the airport. It was 55F at the park and pretty windy. But blue clear skies.
coop-aero-06
AG
This Saturday is the 2nd WS Golden Ticket Race at the Black Canyon 100k. Should be interesting to follow along. There aren't a ton of big names on the entrants list. Magda Boulet stands out to me on the ladies side.

I'll be running the Fourmidable 50k this Saturday. It will be my first ultra since last July. The course is pretty challenging with ~5,500 feet of gain. It will probably be the toughest 50k that I've run. Hope to make it under 5 hours, but I've had a stomach bug this week so we'll see how that goes heading into Saturday.
AggieOO
good luck! That race looks great.

I got to run 10 mins on the Alter-G yesterday! Its strange that when I had decided that i was going to take time off from running, I was ok with it. But now that I'm taking that same time off while injured, I'm jealous as hell of the people hitting the trails. I've been on the bike and doing weights along with PT. Luckily, by the time I'm likely going to be truly able to run, the weather will suck again, so it'll keep me from doing anything stupid.

coop-aero-06
AG
I know the feeling. Stay on top of the recovery and you'll be back in no time.

Fourmidable should be a fun race. It's always a little exciting to see sort of big names like Tim Tollefson on the start list. But in reality, I'll see him for 15 seconds at the starting line, and that's it. Maybe I'll shake his hand after the race and tell him congrats on kicking my butt.
AtlAg75
AG
I'm running the Mount Mitchell Challenge (Marathon) in Black Mountain, NC in two weeks and need some advice. This is my first marathon but have run portions of the trail and know what I'm getting into. My training schedule was truncated by a couple of muscle strains that have left me two weeks before the race without the base of miles I need. So know I'll do some walking/hiking the first half of the race.

My question has to do with tired legs. Can't seem to liven the legs the last week or so. Would like to get one long run in on Monday and then just focus on 5 mile runs until week before race. Any thoughts or advice on helping the legs would be appreciated. Also, I'm 66 but have the right mindset for this run - I WILL finish it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.