Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

100 Push-Ups Per Day

35,517 Views | 195 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggieduke
theeyetest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SJEAg said:

So, no benefit to rest on this kind of thing? Like 2 on 1 off or whatever? Don't muscles need recovery or are 100 pushups not intensive enough for it to matter?

Or even if it doesn't hurt doing it every day, would you get the same benefit doing 100 every other day?
I'm not even going to pretend to know the science behind it, to be honest. I've not been sore or felt like my body was asking for a break from the push-ups. I'd say just listen to your body and try and get stronger by doing your 100 for the day.
theeyetest
10andBOUNCE said:

I'd be hesitant to say pushups are a "good" back exercise. Maybe it involves the back but if you only do push-ups there are going to be imbalances between the two.
Keep in mind this is all in addition to CrossFit 3x per week. I'm in no way suggesting 100/day are an end all for all muscle groups. Just trying to share what I've experienced and hope others would welcome the thought of feeling stronger and more confident with what seems like minimal work.
Woods Ag
AG
It probably depends on your fitness level.

If you have spent the past 5 years with no exercise and you are large then 100 push ups every day for a month is too much. You probably need to build up to it.

If you workout quite a bit, it ain't bad. Rest is important, but TOO MANY people hear the "you need rest, don't overwork" stuff and their procrastination to exercise is more than enough rest. A lot of us have never overworked a muscle in our lives.
AustinCountyAg
because of this thread I have begun my best to do pushups multiple times a day. past few days I've been doing around 60 or so.
Absolute
AG
I'm up to 50 at a time. So 2 set of 50 with some sort of ab thing in between.

Don't think it is pushing hard enough to make the rest thing really be a factor. I can feel a very light soreness, just the kind where you know you did something. Nothing like the hard to move soreness of a program where you blast chest or legs or something.

If I did feel particularly sore, would be easy to do squats or back or something to change it up. Last night I only did 50 then got distracted and never finished. No biggie.

Can tell a difference in the way I feel and look from just two weeks.
Matsui
AG
Shooters do shoot though.
gigemJTH12
AG
BlueSmoke said:

At kids practices, backpack full of weights/water I keep in the truck and I ruck for an hour or so. Feel great.
this is so hardcore
AggieDruggist89
AG
Y'all are on to something.

One of the most read research articles of JAMA this year was about push ups and CV health.

40 per Min

I had to try it and yes I can do more than 40 per min.
bmks270
AG
So your results include 3x per week crossfit. Then is it really the pushups?
10andBOUNCE
AG
https://athleanx.com/articles/pushups-are-killing-your-gains
bam02
AG
bmks270 said:

Yeah I'm confused too. Your OP says when you started 100 pushups a day you struggled to do 15 at a time. Someone doing CF regularly shouldn't struggle to do 15 pushups. So I take it CF is a new to you?
theeyetest
bam02 said:

bmks270 said:

Yeah I'm confused too. Your OP says when you started 100 pushups a day you struggled to do 15 at a time. Someone doing CF regularly shouldn't struggle to do 15 pushups. So I take it CF is a new to you?

Yes! Started CF late September and puked almost every WOD. Obviously, I'm sure the CF benefits the pushups as well but I've noticed incredible strength gains from the pushups that help me out in CF. Even the coach has noticed
theeyetest
10andBOUNCE said:

https://athleanx.com/articles/pushups-are-killing-your-gains

Great read and very informative, thanks! For those who don't want to click the link, it basically says to make sure you're getting FULL range of motion (touching your chest to the groundlocking out elbows at top).
theeyetest
Article 58-10 Offender said:

MARSOC short card + fifty pullups five times a week

Just did some research on this. This is a pretty good workout!!
bam02
AG
gigemtrev said:

bam02 said:

bmks270 said:

Yes! Started CF late September and puked almost every WOD. Obviously, I'm sure the CF benefits the pushups as well but I've noticed incredible strength gains from the pushups that help me out in CF. Even the coach has noticed

Ok understood. Good work!
lb3
AG
10andBOUNCE
AG
Wall sits and air squats
Coppell97
AG
In did the MARSOC short card today. Good workout. Thanks for posting.
theeyetest
lb3 said:

I'm interested in this push-up challenge but feel like I should be adding chin-ups and some lower body work to balance it out. The MARSOC short list is likely more than I have time for at the moment.

What's a good number of chin-ups per day? 20, 30, 50? I was doing 50/day for a couple weeks last summer and didn't feel like that was sustainable for me.

25-35 pull-ups per day would probably be really beneficial. I'd do 5 set of 5-8. Add in a 200 air squats/day if you wanna work the legs as well. Just keep in mind, this 100/day challenge is just in addition to your regular workout schedule, whatever it may be.
Article 58-10 Offender
Coppell97 said:

In did the MARSOC short card today. Good workout. Thanks for posting.
agreed, it's a good one. glad you enjoyed it. it's my go-to when I cant think of anything else to do and don't feel like just slogging out miles. it's great because outside of the pullups at the end, you can really do it anywhere. I've done it in hotel rooms, my driveway, etc. plus, if you really put out and try to limit breaks, it's a real heart popper. my time has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY better than when I first started it.
Pahdz
Been thinking of trying something new along these lines. I've got a full power rack gym setup in my basement and the adjustable pull-up handles and also a dip/leg raise attachment. Was thinking 100 reps of a single exercise each day (either body weight or just the bar) and doing some sort of alternating like this

Push
Pull
Legs
Core

Repeat that cycle (if push was done Monday then Friday is push again). Thinking maybe just doing a core exercise each day so that cycle cuts a day. Just mixup the exercise I do each time.

I just turned 40 and while I still enjoy lifting traditional lifts I just seem to tweak things easier now that I'm 40.
Potcake
AG
Started yesterday while on holiday. Back was damn sore (the good kind) this morning but made it through another hundred.
Coppell97
AG
Now doing the MARSOC short card a couple times a week. Loving the burn from that workout. I have a pull-up bar so I do pull-ups at the end. Can't always get to 30 on all the push-up sets. But going to burnout and then doing knee pushups if I have to. Amazing full body burn from that workout and workout is not crazy long either. Amazing core workout too - totally feel it. Perfect inside workout for winter season or if want to get a workout in and have limited space and time.
Vernada
AG
Coppell97 said:

Now doing the MARSOC short card a couple times a week. Loving the burn from that workout. I have a pull-up bar so I do pull-ups at the end. Can't always get to 30 on all the push-up sets. But going to burnout and then doing knee pushups if I have to. Amazing full body burn from that workout and workout is not crazy long either. Amazing core workout too - totally feel it. Perfect inside workout for winter season or if want to get a workout in and have limited space and time.
I printed out the MARSOC workout. Looks great for that every-other-day workout.

FYI - here's a link to a good PDF with the program as well as pics of the exercises:

MARSOC Short Form PDF
Article 58-10 Offender
what kinds of times are you guys getting on the short card?
Coppell97
AG
Haven't timed it. Just been getting thru it. Maybe i should time it next time.
Article 58-10 Offender
good to measure for progress. even if your time is super slow now, it will be very encouraging to see it drop. I only time through the last set of twists or whatever it is, because the 3 max sets of pullups is pretty subjective with rest time, etc.
Vernada
AG
Coppell97 said:

Haven't timed it. Just been getting thru it. Maybe i should time it next time.
I'm thinking when I start this, I may start at half of the reps for the first couple of weeks.
Vernada
AG

what kinds of times are you guys getting on the short card?

Did 50% short card today (Every exercise, half reps) and it took me 17:45 to get to pull-ups.

Glad I decided to start at 50% - I couldn't have made it through the full thing. I knew I'd struggle on pushups. Between the push-up sets and the burpees, the full thing has a LOT of pushups in it. But I'd never done Hello Dollies before. Goodness that's a good one. 15 was plenty to start with!
Article 58-10 Offender
Good job dude! The pushup volume is definitely thr hardest part when you first start doing it. That's a great start though, keep it up!
Article 58-10 Offender
For comparison I'm an active duty Marine, so I was already in pretty decent shape the first time I did it a couple years ago and it took me 42 min to complete.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
girlgolfer12
I'm on day ten and it's done wonders for my golf game already! Now all the boys in my group have jumped on board!

I also lift six days a week.
Vernada
AG

Good job dude! The pushup volume is definitely thr hardest part when you first start doing it. That's a great start though, keep it up!

Nice chest and ab soreness today. Not terrible. Just the kind that lets you know you did some good living.
Pahdz
I also did half the card today in 17 minutes. My cardiovascular condition right now is a joke so the burpees killed me, had to rest longer than I wanted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.