Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

463,670 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by txags92
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can use basically any 3 hole cleat compatible cycling shoe. Go somewhere like rei and find the one that fits your foot best. I like the Louis Garneau Ergo Air, but I also ride outside a lot. If you are only using them indoors you don't need super expensive shoes with carbon soles or anything like that.
txags92
AG
As for HR, any Ant+ compatible strap will work. You don't need the actual monitor itself unless you want to use it independent of the peloton bike. Just buy a strap. If you want to use it off the bike, Garmin, Fitbit, etc will all work.
Diggity
AG
out of curiosity, are you "throwing away" the membership because you don't use it?

How certain are you that the same won't happen with the home equipment? You may think having it closer to home will make the decision to workout much easier but this isn't always the case.

Just seems like something you want to be pretty certain about before dropping $4K.
CrawfordAg
AG
I just prefer to workout on my own time, already have the free weights in the garage. My main purpose for OT was to pick up the cardio part. While OT was a decent workout , I had to be tied to a certain time that was tough to make with my work schedule. Having the tread in the garage I can workout as my work schedule allows me.
Diggity
AG
gotcha...looks like a cool piece of equipment but that price point is a little nuts.

Report back if you take the plunge
Aggie09Derek
AG
https://www.scosche.com/rhythm-plus-heart-rate-monitor-armband

This one is 30% off today with promo FIT2019 - just bought one. $55.99 delivered.
txags92
AG
Just took delivery this afternoon. Think I am going to start with the 9am HRZ class tomorrow. Username is Txags92. Wife is TXwaterwench. Going to take some time going back through the thread tonight to add a bunch of y'all.

Added everybody whose username was listed in the thread. If I missed you, let me know your username so you can laugh at me.
txags92
AG
I feel kind of like a cult leader...I keep getting emails telling me I have new followers.
wreckt01
Broke the 100 ride barrier today. Hope to hit 200 by the end of the year.
SugarLandAggie
AG
Reading this thread gave me the final push I needed. Pulled the trigger today on the Peloton. Pretty excited and hoping this ships soon! Used Doug's promo code as a shout out for starting this thread. Can't wait to join y'all!
easttexasaggie04
AG
What would yall think about trying to get as many TexAgs posters as we can to do a live ride together one morning? Probably a weekend would be best?
txags92
AG
I would be up for it. But would be better for me after noon on a weekend as I have ms150 training rides Saturday mornings from now through April and have to teach spinning at the gym a couple sundays a month. Maybe one of the afternoon live dj rides?
jjdavis85
AG
Anyone have luck waiving the $250 setup fee? That seems like a ridiculous add on.
DeLaHonta
AG
jjdavis85 said:

Anyone have luck waiving the $250 setup fee? That seems like a ridiculous add on.
In my attempts over the phone with the sales reps to get various discounts (more like restore recently expired promotions), they are not willing to negotiate any aspect of their prices.

From what I've read online, they don't have much of a profit margin on the equipment, but rather make the vast majority of their income on the monthly subscription (which can be turned off anytime), so I don't think they give their sales reps any flexibility.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Only way to get delivery fee waived is if XPO delivers and they botch the delivery bad.

You are paying for delivery + professional setup of the bike.

Diggity
AG
you must read the whole thread

txags92
AG
Hilarious! I always make fun of the bike placements in the ads when they come on TV. Ours is in the sitting area of the master bedroom.
Iowaggie
AG
Diggity said:

you must read the whole thread

Quoted because really, you must read the thread.
Diggity
AG
wreckt01
Don't think I've ever done a live ride. I could potentially swing a Saturday morning ride if kiddos activities allow. I'll be the guy at the back of the pack, half dead, holding on for dear life.
MarineAggie95
AG
I cannot talk about bike placement for ours is right around the corner from the breakfast bar in between the kitchen and living room so that you can see the TV and cold beer is not far away in the fridge when you finish
Aggie09Derek
AG
Loving mine so far - 3 rides in since Wednesday when it got delivered.

Username - AggieDerek

Is there anyway to filter the leaderboard after the ride is over? I don't want to mess with it too much during the ride itself but would be good to see it broken down after the fact.

If someone hops on for half the class, do they count as the leaderboard? Would be nice to see only riders who have done say 90%+ of the ride.
DeLaHonta
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Is there anyway to filter the leaderboard after the ride is over? I don't want to mess with it too much during the ride itself but would be good to see it broken down after the fact.
To my knowledge, no.

Aggie09Derek said:

If someone hops on for half the class, do they count as the leaderboard? Would be nice to see only riders who have done say 90%+ of the ride.
All riders who ride any portion of the class show up on the leaderboard. A bit misleading, if you're wanting to compare yourself to the overall group, but honestly, you'll stop doing that after a while.

Keep in mind that the bikes are not necessarily all calibrated the same way, so your bike at 40 resistance might be easier/harder than another bike at 40 resistance.

Generally, I don't really look at the leaderboard until about 10-15 minutes into any given class, and then I compete with the usernames around my score at that point. This method filters out the people who stop early or are either way above/below me (either because they're better/worse or their bike is calibrated differently), and allows me to focus on people who are likely around my level.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Would definitely be a nice feature to be able to filter down a bit even after the fact.

Also, is there anyway to hide certain stats on your profile (heart rate for instance)? A bit weird I can go and look at random peoples full heart rate data for rides. Seems like should be able to hide certain things from non-friends.

DeLaHonta
AG
You can set your profile to private, which then only shows data to people you've accepted a follow request for, but I don't think you can selectively pick and choose statsit's an all or nothing deal.
MaroonTxAg03
AG
Loving the Scoche Rythym+ so far myself. Will work great once I possess the muscle and endurance to take my mountain bike out on the SoCal trails soon as well!
MaroonTxAg03
AG
I'll also add if you're "new" to cycling like I am I would strongly encourage you to look in to the Power Zone training and courses.

The two main instructors are very big on proper form/technique to keep a beginner focused on being efficient. Also love that you're not killing yourself every time you get on the bike as you work on different zones. Over the last month it's amazing how much stronger I feel.

FTP retest will happen again this weekend to get my new zones and start over again!!!
AgFB
AG
Agree on Power Zones. The low impact rides with Wilpers and Morton are full of drills to improve your pedal stroke.
aggiedrew08
AG
I'm planning to go order one today at their store (I've got a referral code already). One question for the group...

For those of you who put the bike on carpet did you just use a mat or did you go the plywood w/ mat route?

Once I get set up I'll post my user ID
Aggie09Derek
AG
MDF under the mat - Cut mine 32x66
MaroonTxAg03
AG
I've got mine on carpet and bought the mat. I'm sure it would be fine and "stable" without it, but it also might tear your carpet up over time. My main reason for getting the mat was I anticipated heavy sweating (accurate) and figured over time dripping on the carpet would make the room stink. For that reason alone I'd recommend it.
txags92
AG
We have ours on the mat over carpet. Our carpet and pad are pretty thin, so I don't feel like it is to wobbly, but if you have really thick carpet and padding, you might want more stability and protection for the carpet. We are eventually going to replace the carpet with hardwood, so I really don't care about long-term damage of the carpet.
aggiedrew08
AG
yea it's on the second floor with standard builder grade carpet so based on what i've heard i'll just get a piece of plywood to put between the carpet and the mat.
wilhunting
AG
Humble brag...

The TREAD is amazing!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qj-GaERaTBSFnOVnY9i9XUYPXGukLei-/view?usp=drivesdk

FAIL - can't get pic to show up. Tinypic is no longer supported. What app should I use to convert and post pics on TexAgs?
http://linkedin.com/in/chadjhudson
wilhunting
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 9 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.