Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Just got a Peloton bike

463,155 Views | 4208 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by txags92
txaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to Matt's post about the rides, Christian's leaderboard name is ChristianVV
Nitro Power
AG
Is that really him...looking at the numbers, they are certainly not what you would expect to see from a former professional.
txags92
AG
I would guess alot of those he either was just using for recovery or he has a wife or kids riding using his account. There are enough rides where he is putting out a 250+ w avg for 45-60 mins that I would assume it is him. Keep in mind that pros worry more about watts/kg than watts. Assuming he is probably 160-170 lbs, at 250w, that is 3.3 w/kg. At just under 250 lbs, i would have to average 375w to keep up with him on a climb.
Nitro Power
AG
We will see tomorrow for sure.
AgFB
AG
Anyone doing the current PZ pack challenge? Denis' ride today was pretty brutal. 9 minutes in zone 4 to close out a ride killed.
Nitro Power
AG
I am and I did that ride Wednesday...sucked utter ass

Team -> AddictedToZones
singer10
AG
I was hoping he was kidding with the last 9 minute Zone 4 callout. He most definitely was not.
dave99ag
AG
So are these live rides or just a workout written down?
singer10
AG
Everything is done off of on demand rides. Check out powerzonepack.com and look at the current challenge. You can join a 3, 4 or 5 ride team or do it all solo. It's my first challenge and I've really enjoyed the structure of it with them planning the rides for me.
dave99ag
AG
Ah, that makes more sense using the on-demand rides as a library to chose from. I'll check it out!
Nitro Power
AG
This is my second one. She is getting better and better at laying them out. I just wish she had a way of tracking it on her site instead of Facebook. I don't have it, but this go around my team leader is on top of things and keeps me informed.
singer10
AG
Oh for sure. Keeping it track of it in the Facebook group is pretty annoying especially with everyone on the team asking the same questions and whining about the same stuff over and over again. I've muted all notifications from the team page and just log my rides on Sunday when I've got them all done.
YellAg2004
AG
I just joined the PZ Pack and selected 3 rides/week (1st PZP Challenge). Can someone explain what the Accelerator Ride is? I searched but couldn't find an explanation. Also, are y'all free members or subscribers?
singer10
AG
The accelerator rides are just extra rides you can do for your team to earn more points. I am doing the 3 ride challenge and do the scheduled rides Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I then do the accelerator rides on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday when I lift weights as well because they are generally just 30 minute PZE rides and I use them as a recovery ride.

I ended up just paying the $60 a year. I like the additional data they have on the site when you subscribe and the graph previews of every Powerzone Ride.
YellAg2004
AG
Thanks, next question - how do you go about joining a team?
singer10
AG
When they announce the challenge on the PZP website they offer an option to join a team. You'll have to wait till they start the next challenge to get on a team.
YellAg2004
AG
Thanks!
Nitro Power
AG
singer10 said:

The accelerator rides are just extra rides you can do for your team to earn more points. I am doing the 3 ride challenge and do the scheduled rides Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I then do the accelerator rides on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday when I lift weights as well because they are generally just 30 minute PZE rides and I use them as a recovery ride.

I ended up just paying the $60 a year. I like the additional data they have on the site when you subscribe and the graph previews of every Powerzone Ride.

Same here, plus I like helping out with some of the operating expenses.
singer10
AG
For sure. The least I can do is give them $60/year for all the work they put into it. It's definitely a good product they put out and worth the money.
AgFB
AG
Im on Floriders and this is I think my 5th or 6th challenge.

I'm on a 5 ride a week team but it usually turns out to be a 7 or 8 ride a week. Getting a little tougher to keep up and still have an off day.
bthotugigem05
AG
Just redid my FTP test and my score increased 50 points...everything hurts and I'm dying
StringerBell
AG
Did my first two quick workouts using the app. Just a 20 minute interval run and a 10 minute core thing. Really excited to get the bike Tuesday.

I'm in decent enough shape. How much of a beginners track do I need to take? I know there's a 6 week program but that seems like overkill.
mrsbeer05
AG
Do your FTP test and start from there.
dodger02
AG
I did a few beginner rides for a week and then tried out some 20 min for the second week. Then I jumped into a few 30 and 45 min when I was pretty confident that I wouldn't die.

I didn't do an FTP test for 60 days or so because I didn't know what they were. Doing an FTP test helps with power zone rides. Knowing my zones after having taken an FTP test doesn't do a thing for me when I'm in regular (non-PZ) class.

For the first 75 rides or so, I never took a PZ ride. Now I'm 50/50 PZ and the regular spin classes.

My wife took her FTP test last week and she couldn't have cared less. She just bangs out spin classes.

There's no reason to start with an FTP test right out of the box, IMO, unless you plan to run powerzone classes on day 1.
The Pilot
AG
Even if you want to do power zone training, I'd do a few power zone classes first before doing the test.
dave99ag
AG
Unless you've been riding for awhile, I'd suggest the Power Zone Endurance rides or low impact from the various instructors. Key is to find the instructors you like. For me, i can't stand spin classes, so I stick with the more structured PZ rides that are truly interval based. No need to do an FTP test right away. You'll know if you're pushing hard on perceived effort alone.
StringerBell
AG
Thanks all
txaggie05
AG
Agree with most of the above. I love Power Zone classes and they make up about 90% of my rides. I'd definitely try the Discover Your Power Zones program, but I'd get a couple 20-30 minute beginner rides or low impact/power zone endurance rides under your belt first just to get used to everything.
txags92
AG
If you have done spin classes before or ride outside, there is no need to do a full six week beginner program. In that case, I would do a few of the beginner or low impact rides just to get a feel for things and then do the program to learn your power zones. If you are a stone cold beginner to the bike and all your cardio has been running or elliptical type work, I would consider doing a week or so of the beginner classes then branch out. If you have no cardio base, start slow in the beginner program and grow from there.
AgFB
AG
I use the power zones even when not in PZ classes. I know that I need to be in the top of zone 1 to recover and then I feel like I'm recovered I try to hit the bottom of zone 2 for the rest of the recovery.
txaggie05
AG
Yeah, this is a double-edged sword for me. Definitely helps me make sure i'm recovering when it's time to recover, but i feel like i'm probably more cautious than i need to be about when i go beyond Zone 4-5 unless it's a HIIT or Tabata ride.
Ragoo
AG
After kicking the idea around my wife has decided she wants to join the cult. Before dropping money on a new bike is anyone looking to offload a gen2?

Thanks
bthotugigem05
AG
Ragoo said:

After licking the idea around my wife has decided she wants to join the cult. Before dropping money on a new bike is anyone looking to offload a gen2?

Thanks

That ended differently than it started
Ragoo
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Ragoo said:

After licking the idea around my wife has decided she wants to join the cult. Before dropping money on a new bike is anyone looking to offload a gen2?

Thanks

That ended differently than it started
oh man. One letter really changes the connotation of the verb and cult being joined.
AggieOO
FYI - follow-up on my post from a couple pages ago regarding keo vs delta cleats. I went ahead and install the new keos on my shoes since i'm riding outside more than i'm on the peloton. Turns out, the keos will clip into the delta pedals on the peloton. Its not a perfect fit, but good enough to not have to deal with multiple pairs of shoes.
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 121

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.