Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Houston Marathon

12,671 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tamuags08
Big Cat `93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was definitely the most I've seen EMTs have to do at a race.
exp
lp01
AG
This was my first marathon. Time was nowhere near what I thought could run, but that was brutal. Congrats to everyone.
wangus12
AG
I decided to back my pace off at 14 miles. Still just missed the 4 hr mark. The humidity just started to build on me. I PR'ed by 15 minutes, but its comparing a crap weather race vs. a bad injury race. One of these days lol.

I did get "detained" at the finished because I lost nearly 10 lbs of fluids. They wanted me to consider an IV and all I wanted was some electrolyte water and food.

Now I'm sitting here in Dallas with a pizza trying to coach my gf through the storms making tornadoes on her way back from SA
Rudyjax
AG
Congrats to everyone!
Smokedraw01
I've heard there were a few CPR events but all ended up being okay.

I personally backed off my pace, walked through each hydration station and enjoyed the run. PR wasn't going to happen so I just ran to run.
Jim01
AG
Wife completed her first full.

Congrats to all!
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Completed my first full yesterday. Glad I took today off to recover. Congrats to everyone!
lp01
AG
I saw a lot of people at the back of the pack with me fall out. The only emergency I saw though was picking up my shirt at the end. Guy right in front of me had to help a guy to the ground, and the medical team rushed him out.
montegobay
My half was slow but not as slow as Nutrabolt. I just registered for next year.

I didn't see any real emergencies, but I have always thought races should provide a place to sit for a minute past the finish line. Particularly at Houston, you finish and then walk and walk and walk before there is ever a chance to sit down. A few benches near the water and bananas would give people a minute to catch their breath before shirts, food, etc.
94chem
Awful weather - congrats to everyone who gave it a go!
htxag09
AG
I don't know how y'all do these on a somewhat regular basis....I'm miserable right now....
The Pilot
AG
It gets easier. To this day, my first marathon was my worst time and recovery-wise.
Motot
AG
The first is the worst usually. After that they seem to be shorter and usually easier to recover from. Congrats to everyone who ran on a day with poor conditions.
Rudyjax
AG
The Pilot said:

It gets easier. To this day, my first marathon was my worst time and recovery-wise.

Good?
wangus12
AG
Have to agree. Although I didn't feel great yesterday because of the weather, it went by faster mentally and I've felt fine since finishing. I'm a little sore, but I'll go cycle to work it out tonight
monarch
S
When can you register for 2018 Half?
Motot
AG
Early registration opened yesterday.
NoahAg
htxag09 said:

I don't know how y'all do these on a somewhat regular basis....I'm miserable right now....
Mentally, they certainly get easier. I'm still sore today, but I've been in worse post-race shape.

My TLDR report:

-This was my 9th Houston overall (including 1 half).

-I live west of Houston, but for the first time I stayed at the Hilton with some buddies. We road the elevator up with Meb on Saturday, and I felt like Chris Farley talking with Paul McCartney.

-I had a goal of a BQ (3:10), so I used my most ambitious training plan to date. It was a 20 week plan, including 2 longer runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays (12-14 miles each), plus the typical long weekend run (like 7 20 milers).

-Training was going pretty well, and I stayed close to schedule. I was a long shot to BQ when my knee started hurting real bad on December 10th. I know exactly what caused it: Don't do back to back intense runs.

-I did some Airosti sessions, and some therapy, ice, etc, but never got back on track; my knee would always have some level of pain at some point in my recent runs, so I've been pretty discouraged. I did have several 18-20 milers in the bank before getting hurt though.

-Going into the race I really didn't know what to expect. And with the weather forecast, I could see anything from a 3:45 to a DNF.

-Cardio-wise I felt great the whole time. Training plan - even cut short - helped a lot. Ran 1:48 through the first half, and my knee was still ok. Thought I might be below 3:40, but Allen Pkwy hills slowed me down. Finished pretty strong at 3:41, which was my fastest in my last 4 or 5 races.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, so my wife was at mile 22, she asked me how I was feeling and I said "This is the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life." Immediately after the race I said never again.

As I posted yesterday, I felt miserable, maybe worse today....

But I've already decided I want to do another one. Maybe not this year, but don't think I'll be a one and done.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
This was #21 for me. I was looking up dates for #22 on the drive home from Houston. Welcome to the dark side.
The Pilot
AG
I'm giving serious thoughts and actually probably will run the USA Fit Marathon in Sugar Land next week. Positive to dropping out after 13, I'm pretty much ready to roll for another marathon.
The Pilot
AG
You're in. I thought for sure I was one and done after my first during the race and for about a week after. I walked quite a bit and knew I could do much better. I didn't want my first marathon to be my best.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
Get it!
chico
AG
NoahAg said:

We road the elevator up with Meb on Saturday, and I felt like Chris Farley talking with Paul McCartney.
wangus12
AG
Who all is in for this year?
rao11010
AG
Running the half with my sister, it will be her first.
gcracker13
AG
Running my first half!
The Pilot
AG
Hope you guys get better weather this upcoming year.
Big Cat `93
AG
Full.

Amen, Pilot. It was bru-tal.
gd28
AG
In for the full, praying for cold weather and a BQ
wangus12
AG
I feel like almost anything could be better than last year. So we'll probably run in a blizzard.

My plan for Houston was to run well at Marine Corps, recover and then push for Houston.

Instead, I've been pretty iffy with training. Spent a decent amount of time in the gym working on rehabbing my knee and my long runs have only been 13-17 miles long. Just want to survive now.
The Pilot
AG
Injuries suck. hopefully your knee is feeling better.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I'm in for full #22. Hoping for a big PR.
Motot
AG
In for the full. This will be my third full in Houston. I've worked hard for my goal this year. Hoping for a nice ~42f day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.