Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Houston Marathon

12,654 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tamuags08
The Pilot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guaranteed Entry Registration opens tomorrow. Anyone else running it?
Jim01
AG
My wife is thinking hard about doing her first. I am trying to convince her to do it.
Frozen Concoction
I'm in unless Austin reveals a compelling course for 2017 within the next couple of weeks.
Big Cat `93
AG
I got in right after this year's race.
AggieOO
quote:
I'm in unless Austin reveals a compelling course for 2017 within the next couple of weeks.

Is Austin re-tooling the course?
Frozen Concoction
Yep. Nothing public, yet. Here's a snip from Texas Running Post:

O A new Austin Marathon course has been designed. It hasn't been approved yet by the city so High Five Eventsowner and operators of the raceunderstandably won't reveal it quite yet. But I have seen the elevation chart for the proposed course and it looks promising (i.e., much less hilly). Another change: The proposed course will include sections of east Austin which I'm pretty sure hasn't been utilized since the '03 race. Much more on this later, but it's a virtual certainty that there will be a new course in place for next February's race.
AggieOO
interesting. thanks.

i ran the old course and the current course. not much for road races these days, but i guess if they change it, maybe I'll give it a go.
wangus12
AG
I'll be there.
Rudyjax
AG
Just signed up!
The Pilot
AG
signed up
wangus12
AG
Anyone gonna run the 5k the day before. I've always done a few miles the day before anyways and hopefully the gf will run it with me.
The Pilot
AG
I've ran it the last 2 years (really fast course) but this year will pass since I'm running the full Sunday.
htxag09
AG
For the Houston, what are the odds of getting in on June 1 if you aren't a guaranteed entry?
DANG
AG
Considering it as my first. It would hinge on 1 - Getting an open registration (I don't think that was as difficult last year, as in the past?) 2 - determining that 14 weeks is enough time to train between my first Olympic Tri and First Marathon
Jim01
AG
It should be pretty easy to get into the full on June 1st. It doesn't fill up in minutes like the half does.
Frozen Concoction
I just checked my old emails. The marathon didn't sell out until early September last year.
htxag09
AG
Sorry for the lack of detail. I'd be signing up for the half.
Frozen Concoction
The half sells out in the first day. However, you CAN register for the full, then switch to the half later for an additional fee.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Jut registered for the half. Looking forward to finally running this one.
Rudyjax
AG
5 days before my 45th. Perfect time to qualify for Boston.
The Pilot
AG
And unless they change the 2018 qualifying times, by turning 45, you get an extra 10 minutes.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
And unless they change the 2018 qualifying times, by turning 45, you get an extra 10 minutes.

I know! But they'll probably change it on me.

And by running this one I can probably do the trail race that AggieOO runs.
Frozen Concoction
I went ahead and registered as well. I can always run Austin for free if I change my mind.
We need some kind of Texags H&F Bat-signal so we can recognize each other. Can someone create a logo - maybe a stylized drawing of AggieOO covered in mud or Hoosegow bench pressing a Yugo.
UK - race you to Hopkinton!
wangus12
AG
Old *******!
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
Old *******!

I may be old but I am faster than most.

And you will be old one day too.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Nah I'll go climb some peak in the Himalaya. Sit down and make it a couple feet taller when I freeze my ass there.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
Nah I'll go climb some peak in the Himalaya. Sit down and make it a couple feet taller when I freeze my ass there.
Good strategy?
montegobay
Regular registration started this morning for us slow runners. I'm in for the half!
htxag09
AG
Me too! First half, pretty excited.

I have my training planned out from three months prior. But what do y'all recommend for training now? Currently just doing Hal higdons intermediate 5k, and almost done with it. So long runs up to 8 miles right now and some interval and tempo work.....
Rudyjax
AG
Higdon's beginner 1 or 2 have lead 1000s to good times.
DANG
AG
Registered this morning. Goal of 4;30 for my first which may be optimistic. We'll see. Should be fun!
htxag09
AG
Yeah. That's what I'll be doing. Just more curious what to do between now and October, or whenever I'll be starting his half beginner program.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
Registered this morning. Goal of 4;30 for my first which may be optimistic. We'll see. Should be fun!
My goal for my first was making it to the race uninjured! Congrats and good luck!
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
My goal for my first was making it to the race uninjured! Congrats and good luck!
I"m starting Higdon's personal best Marathon next week. It's 30 weeks.

His Spring Training might not be bad if you modify it. I don't recommend running 6 days a week for a beginner.

But I think 9-15 miles per week would be fine to start with his Begnner 1 or 2.
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I"m starting Higdon's personal best Marathon next week. It's 30 weeks.

His Spring Training might not be bad if you modify it. I don't recommend running 6 days a week for a beginner.

But I think 9-15 miles per week would be fine to start with his Begnner 1 or 2.
Nice. I'm going to be using HH's Advanced 1 for Houston. Gonna be a interesting switch in training going from mountaineering stuff back into marathon training. Goal is to again make it injured through training. Had some small things pop up from over-training (had prior HM commitments to pace people) and my IT Band went out about mile 16 of the marathon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.