just noticed this - estimate the fix cost

1,659 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by AmC_OldSarge
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG



Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, that sucks.

$2500
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would they fix the body and not fender plastic if I requested?

I don't really mind if the fender is scratched like that it's just the body that I'm worried about
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
just noticed this...then use some touch up paint and move on. It's a truck.
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
****'ll buff out
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had something similar...maybe a little worse.

I cleaned up the scratch, and got their paint off. Took it to a pop-a-dent place I trust, and had them straighten out the metal for less than $200. Then I used some touch up paint. It' s not perfect, but you dont notice it unless you know it's there.
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I just don't want to risk rust or anything since it's a fairly deep gash. It's that midnight rush titanium color so I'd need to locate that as a touch up paint.

I'm okay with it having some character. But I am pretty bummed
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NWE said:

Yeah I just don't want to risk rust or anything since it's a fairly deep gash. It's that midnight rush titanium color so I'd need to locate that as a touch up paint.

I'm okay with it having some character. But I am pretty bummed

not sure if GMC does the same...but thru Ford you can buy little touch up paint. It's like a pen. It works great for quickly covering up chips on the hood from rocks and such. I'd be surprised if GM doesn't do the same.

I'd look at getting that and then like others said...get it cleaned up...maybe see if can cheaply get it flattened back a little bit. Then touch up.
JamesPShelley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hear you... it is a bummer.

Just take it to a body shop and pay the price. You don't want to have to look at that every day. Just pay the piper. It's your truck.

Buy once. Cry once.
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-paint
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Man, that sucks.

$2500


The estimate is $2,249. You're good!

If my deductible is $500, should I use insurance? The guy at the shop had the mindset "that's what they're there for. Use it"
jsc8116
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was it a "hit and run"? If so your UMPD deductible(uninsured motorist property damage) should be $250 if in TX, but I think you have to file a police report to send to insurance
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NWE said:

Yeah I just don't want to risk rust or anything since it's a fairly deep gash. It's that midnight rush titanium color so I'd need to locate that as a touch up paint.

I'm okay with it having some character. But I am pretty bummed


There's some pretty good touch up paint kits on Amazon. If you decide to go that route, watch some YouTube tutorials if you want a good outcome.
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NWE said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

Man, that sucks.

$2500


The estimate is $2,249. You're good!

If my deductible is $500, should I use insurance? The guy at the shop had the mindset "that's what they're there for. Use it"


Not sure the Carfax hit would be worth it when you go to trade in. If you're going to keep it forever, it might be worth it.
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NWE said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

Man, that sucks.

$2500


The estimate is $2,249. You're good!

If my deductible is $500, should I use insurance? The guy at the shop had the mindset "that's what they're there for. Use it"


Yes. Well, maybe. Do you care about carfax hits? I often have my body shops do my work on the side for cash so it's not logged and pinged anywhere. I'll never sell my trucks but if I do, I don't want it to show up on a car fax. Make sure their management software doesn't report it. If you have a police report already then it's already too late. See if you can avoid giving a VIN, etc. My independent shops do it all the time.

But for big ticket items, I'd probably send it through insurance. It will be better than it came from the factory. If you go this route, find the best most expensive shop you can and check their work.

I disagree with the "it's a truck" folks. You don't have to look like you can't afford to fix your stuff and you're overextended on your bills. You don't have to look like your truck is a piece of crap and you don't care about anything it life. It's ok to keep your truck looking like new and be proud of a well cared for vehicle. It's yours. You worked for it.
Howdy Dammit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a bummer for a day or two. But then the pressure is off on keeping the truck pristine and that becomes suck a relief.
AmC_OldSarge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you live near Houston, I can get you in contact with my body man.

He painted my entire car for less than your estimate.



He also repaired my truck after hitting a light pole that I forgot I parked next to and was hidden by my A-pillar.

Before:


After:
apoglo12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd be interested to learn who your guy is
AmC_OldSarge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Txt me at (REMOVED, let me know if you need it again) and I will forward his contact info.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.