Advice on mid size 3 row suv

4,722 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by 94chem
btalking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to purchase new 3 row mid size suv. Currently have a 2020 telluride in the family. Considering a new version of that, a palisade, or maybe an atlas (rented one in January on a trip). Currently drive an F150 with 3.5 boost and looking to downsize for a bit. Interested in cabin space, a little better gas mileage because I drive a lot and latest tech (auto start/stop, auto hold, wireless CarPlay, etc). I do enjoy the peppy torque of the boost. Curious on anyone's feedback that owns a new model of the mid size SUV's.
Mas89
AG
You are the first person I have ever seen state that they want auto start/ stop. Do you like engine problems?

I assume you can still order a ford with the auto start/ stop delete. I happened to find one in January.
malenurse
AG
You currently drive what I consider to be the best midsize three row vehicle currently made.

I bought a 2021 Pilot because I like Honda's reputation, but, their 10 speed gearbox drives me crazy.

I looked at GM's versions. Rented Buick Enclave during a vacation and really liked the drive and the interior. But, I have no faith in GM.

I was warned off the Atlas by a nephew that has worked on them.

If I bought one today, my ranking would be
1A - Telluride
1B- Pallisade
2 - Mazda CX9
3 - Explorer
4 - Enclave
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
btalking
AG
Guess what I meant was auto hold. Like when coming to a complete stop at a light and being able to take your foot off the brake until you hit the gas to accelerate again.
btalking
AG
The 2020 telluride is actually a family members. Not my dd.
fire09
AG
For some stupid reason, the 2024 telluride doesn't have wireless car play/android auto. That was the only thing I didn't like about it.
ElephantRider
AG
Kia Carnival
Dill-Ag13
AG
Mas89 said:

You are the first person I have ever seen state that they want auto start/ stop. Do you like engine problems?

Stop start is definitely a gimmick, but I wouldn't say at least engine problems. Definitely requires a more complex electrical/charging system, but it is also relatively easy to delete/disable on most vehicles.

Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Grand Highlander/ high lander
drumboy
AG
btalking said:

Guess what I meant was auto hold. Like when coming to a complete stop at a light and being able to take your foot off the brake until you hit the gas to accelerate again.

This and only using one pedal for normal driving was a biggest surprise bonus in the Tesla
zooguy96
AG
ElephantRider said:

Kia Carnival

SUV?!?!
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
dodger02
AG
I own a loaded Telluride. We really like it. But it's not a powerhouse and the gas mileage isn't something that's going to knock your socks off.

But, I'd recommend one to anybody. Loaded, the price is very competitive. Ditto the Palisade.

Mazda doesn't make a CX-9 anymore. It has been replaced with the CX-90. That's a sharp ride and the inline-6 is interesting, especially with the added oomph of the higher spec turbo models.
Mas89
AG
Yes, the auto start/ stop contributes to engine problems. Delete May affect your factory warranty.
Ogre09
AG
GX
sornman
fire09 said:

For some stupid reason, the 2024 telluride doesn't have wireless car play/android auto. That was the only thing I didn't like about it.
I agree. Hopefully it gets added to newer models soon. We got a 2024 in May, and have added the AAWireless dongle (https://www.aawireless.io/) and it seems to handle the wireless aspect pretty good. It has beta support for CarPlay, but as we have android phones we haven't tried it.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Mas89 said:

Yes, the auto start/ stop contributes to engine problems. Delete May affect your factory warranty.
Don't even know where to start with either of those!
Burdizzo
AG
No love for the Pathfinder?
malenurse
AG
Two vehicles that I ruled out during my search were the Pathfinder (didn't like the interior) And Subaru Ascent (rough ride)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
texags08
AG
Ford Explorer ST is the only answer here...

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3480951

Check this post for a recent 2025 purchase...
Dill-Ag13
AG
malenurse said:

Two vehicles that I ruled out during my search were the Pathfinder (didn't like the interior) And Subaru Ascent (rough ride)

Both also happen to have CVTs. Good riddance
reproag
AG
texags08 said:

Ford Explorer ST is the only answer here...

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3480951

Check this post for a recent 2025 purchase...
Couldn't agree more. I delivered a 25 Platinum Explorer to Wharton yesterday. First time I got to play with the tech and drive one. Man it was nice.

OP If you are interested in a Ford or Hyundai my contact info is in my profile.
Burdizzo
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

malenurse said:

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Volvo XC90
300 horses when the turbos kick.
ElephantRider
AG
zooguy96 said:

ElephantRider said:

Kia Carnival

SUV?!?!

It's better than an SUV. We went from an Explorer to a Carnival for my wife's car, and it was the best vehicle decision I've ever made
The Pilot
AG
I would rather take public transit than buy a minivan.
TRIDENT
AG
My mom just bought a Mazda CX-70 with the 340 HP turbo inline 6. Her car is identical to the new CX-90, minus the third row which she didn't need. I drove it, and was very impressed with the power, tech and comfort. I would recommend that you take one for a spin before you decide.

https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-90

GL whatever you decide!
zooguy96
AG
The Pilot said:

I would rather take public transit than buy a minivan.

This. My wife hated one of the old Pathfinder models… cause it looked like a minivan (I hated it because of the transmission). Sometimes she thinks her Highlander looks like a minivan.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
texags08
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Volvo XC90
300 horses when the turbos kick.
Explorer ST has 400 hrsprs and 415 twerks
Dill-Ag13
AG
Burdizzo said:

Dill-Ag13 said:

malenurse said:

Oh wow!
Moral High Horse
Still happy with our 23 Pilot. It was that or a Telluride. Would have been good with either.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Explorer ST is not the best choice if fuel economy is a primary criteria. You will enjoy the 400hp AWD acceleration. But if you want a fun to drive sporty SUV that gets decent but not great gas mileage you can't beat it. There are definitely more potent options out there like Durango Hellcat, Cayenne, X5M... But you'll pay another $20-30K on those options.

You didn't mention towing so maybe that's not a consideration but the ST has a Class IV hitch with 7-pin and 4-pin connectors and a tow/haul mode. It's pre-wired for a brake controller. I don't think there's anything else in it's class that comes better equipped for towing. And it tows quite well. We recently did about 2000 miles with our 18' teardrop through the Arkansas and Missouri hills.

Flaith
AG
HumpitPuryear said:

Explorer ST is not the best choice if fuel economy is a primary criteria. You will enjoy the 400hp AWD acceleration. But if you want a fun to drive sporty SUV that gets decent but not great gas mileage you can't beat it. There are definitely more potent options out there like Durango Hellcat, Cayenne, X5M... But you'll pay another $20-30K on those options.

You didn't mention towing so maybe that's not a consideration but the ST has a Class IV hitch with 7-pin and 4-pin connectors and a tow/haul mode. It's pre-wired for a brake controller. I don't think there's anything else in it's class that comes better equipped for towing. And it tows quite well. We recently did about 2000 miles with our 18' teardrop through the Arkansas and Missouri hills.
"Equipped" may be true, as the brake controller pre-wiring and 7 and 4-pin connector is a nice feature, but the Nissan Pathfinder tows 6,000lbs and also has a Class IV hitch (Explorer listed capacity is 5,600lbs). I believe that is best in class.

I have no idea how they came up with that number, and it's been consistent since the previous generation with CVT. I can tell you that my wife's 2018 Pathfinder has plenty of power, but the rear suspension is super soft, and the brakes are undersized. I doubt I would attempt to pull up to its rated capacity very far.
HumpitPuryear
AG
Flaith said:

HumpitPuryear said:

"Equipped" may be true, as the brake controller pre-wiring and 7 and 4-pin connector is a nice feature, but the Nissan Pathfinder tows 6,000lbs and also has a Class IV hitch (Explorer listed capacity is 5,600lbs). I believe that is best in class.

I have no idea how they came up with that number, and it's been consistent since the previous generation with CVT. I can tell you that my wife's 2018 Pathfinder has plenty of power, but the rear suspension is super soft, and the brakes are undersized. I doubt I would attempt to pull up to its rated capacity very far.
The ST's big brakes are a big help as is the stiffer sport suspension. Our camper is less than 4000lbs so it is well below the rated capacity. Tongue weight limit is also really important with these SUVs and is often exceeded before the gross weight limit. The ST spec is 560lbs. Both specs got revised upward a little from the previous front-wheel biased chassis.

Yesterday
AG
I rode in a friends Telluride from Branson MO back to DFW with four adult males after a golf trip. It was awesome. We had four of us in there with four golf bags and four carry on luggage and we were very comfortable.
Pac1698
AG
I just got my wife an Infiniti QX60 autograph. It's really nice and has a true V6. The only downside is the third row only seats 2 people. But other than that it's really nice. I'm actually at a dealership now waiting on a truck, and that's because she wouldn't let me get the same vehicle like hers.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.