Advice on mid size 3 row suv

4,711 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by 94chem
TRIDENT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well at least get it loaded out, lifted, and banging ASAP.
Redstone
AG
I daily a 2016 4Runner Limited
austinag1997
AG
Mas89 said:

Yes, the auto start/ stop contributes to engine problems. Delete May affect your factory warranty.

Engine problems or starter problems?
agracer
AG
btalking said:

Guess what I meant was auto hold. Like when coming to a complete stop at a light and being able to take your foot off the brake until you hit the gas to accelerate again.
because it's so much work to hold the brake?

Someone please explain to me the purpose of the auto hold. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, take the Telluride and buy the wife a minivan.
lazuras_dc
AG
Dont sleep on the subaru ascent. We're really liking ours.
texags08
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Dont sleep on the subaru ascent. We're really liking ours.

Did it come with free Chacos?
mefoghorn
AG
Why has no one mentioned the Highlander? They have one of the best reputations for reliability.
zooguy96
AG
mefoghorn said:

Why has no one mentioned the Highlander? They have one of the best reputations for reliability.

We've had no issues with our Highlander. It's been extremely reliable - only regular oil changes, tires, and brakes - regular maintenance. Wife eventually wants a 4Runner.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
The Pilot
AG
mefoghorn said:

Twice on the front page.
aggiepublius
AG
I always start with thes questions:

• Do you have a preference if it is a truck-based or car-based SUV platform?

• Do you plan to tow?

• Do you need AWD or 4WD?

• Do you live where it snows or need to go off pavement

• Do adults or adult sized humans ever need to sit in 3rd row?

btalking
AG
Don't care if truck based or car based platform
I don't really tow much. If I do it's a small trailer with yard equipment or 4 wheelers
Don't need AWD or 4WD. I have 4WD now on truck and sparingly have used it. I think AWD would be nice though
Don't live where it snows or would I tend on doing off-roading, most of my miles are on hwy traffic
Don't plan on having to use the third row a lot, but am interested in having it for the every once in a while need.
Fuel efficiency with a little pep are of interest
Bob Kelso
AG
I can't get into the look of the telluride. I just don't get the appeal.
mefoghorn
AG
Or Palisade, If you like that cheese grater look…
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Drove a '22 Telluride SX Prestige for the past 5 days in Estes Park. It looks great inside and out. Plenty of power and decent MPG considering we were up and down mountains every day. Good handling. Rides a bit rough on road. Room was a little tight with 3x car seats. Not a lot of storage space with the 3rd row up.

Think we'll stick with a minivan or larger SUV for daily driver. I see it working best for a family of 4 who may occasionally need the capacity to carry a couple more kids in a pinch.
94chem
Flaith said:

HumpitPuryear said:

Explorer ST is not the best choice if fuel economy is a primary criteria. You will enjoy the 400hp AWD acceleration. But if you want a fun to drive sporty SUV that gets decent but not great gas mileage you can't beat it. There are definitely more potent options out there like Durango Hellcat, Cayenne, X5M... But you'll pay another $20-30K on those options.

You didn't mention towing so maybe that's not a consideration but the ST has a Class IV hitch with 7-pin and 4-pin connectors and a tow/haul mode. It's pre-wired for a brake controller. I don't think there's anything else in it's class that comes better equipped for towing. And it tows quite well. We recently did about 2000 miles with our 18' teardrop through the Arkansas and Missouri hills.
"Equipped" may be true, as the brake controller pre-wiring and 7 and 4-pin connector is a nice feature, but the Nissan Pathfinder tows 6,000lbs and also has a Class IV hitch (Explorer listed capacity is 5,600lbs). I believe that is best in class.

I have no idea how they came up with that number, and it's been consistent since the previous generation with CVT. I can tell you that my wife's 2018 Pathfinder has plenty of power, but the rear suspension is super soft, and the brakes are undersized. I doubt I would attempt to pull up to its rated capacity very far.
This. The Pathfinder is the best 3rd row mid-size SUV for towing. The Infiniti can also do it, I presume. If you want to pull a pop-up or a dual axle utility trailer, should be GTG. I wouldn't pull anything over 4000 across country - I don't care what they say it's rated to pull.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
...and minivans and SUV's look the same these days. I don't even notice the difference until the back doors open. Car is car.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.