Doomsday Vehicle

4,079 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by wxguy95
Trinity Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Get something that can run on E85/alcohol -- that would be the most easily accessible post-armageddon fuel.

Because you know damn well that producing hootch will be a universal priority.
Garrelli 5000
AG
water turkey
3rd Platoon said:

ac04 said:

Why the Hilux isn't sold in the US is beyond me. That thing is an absolute BEAST of a vehicle.

Al Quaida has the market cornered.
Chef Elko
AG
A Honda XR200
Dr. Nefario
The Deez!

“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
BlueSmoke
There's a white Rhino driving around Frisco. See it from time to time - hard to miss.

Nobody cares. Work Harder
Gator92
AG
Can't believe didn't make page juan...

water turkey
Complete Idiot said:

Diesel Hilux

There's a 1998 for sale in Montgomery right now on Facebook marketplace for $21,000.
LOYAL AG
AG
cav14 said:

LOYAL AG said:

What fuel is going to be available in this doomsday scenario and how much of it will you have? My answer to the OP is probably an old Land Cruiser or Jeep, YJ or older. I'm just curious how useful a vehicle is in a doomsday scenario. Guess it depends on your definition of doomsday.
Exactly what I always say whenever this thought experiment comes up. All gas would quickly get used up within weeks if not days from widespread panic and hoarding, and any gas you happen to hoard for yourself would all go bad within 6 months to a year. Also good luck on obtaining any motor oil for your required oil change after a few months.

Wall-E had it completely right. The only machinery that will actually be worth a damn are ones that run purely on electrical power (ie. EVs), not dead dinosaurs. So something like the Hummer EV or a converted Hummer H1 would be an ideal doomsday vehicle.

See even then we have different definitions of doomsday. Unless you have solar panels on your home electricity isn't going to be there for very long. To me doomsday means a general breakdown of civilization and that's going to come with a cessation of public services. I can't see a scenario that we call doomsday where we have electricity in our homes. That feels like the glamping version of doomsday where it's not really all that rough.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
ATL Aggie
AG
Gator92 said:

Can't believe didn't make page juan...

Came here to post this.
fixer
My doomsday vehicle will have pedals and 29" tires.

Gasoline stock will run out in weeks.

If there is electrical issues pumps won't run.

And manually pumping from a station's stock tanks is a vapor cloud explosion nightmare. And tactically unsound to put yourself in a position to be robbed by a large group.
cav14
Yes doomsday does also mean no electricity from regular government entities anymore for me. That's why you'll need solar as you mentioned and also why I said the movie Wall-E had it correct since he uses solar to charge himself up in his doomsday world. You as a regular individual person needs to sustain yourself and that is much much more doable today to produce your own electricity through solar or any other means (hydro, wind, human, gravity, etc.) than trying to produce your own gasoline.
cav14
fixer said:

My doomsday vehicle will have pedals and 29" tires.

Gasoline stock will run out in weeks.

If there is electrical issues pumps won't run.

And manually pumping from a station's stock tanks is a vapor cloud explosion nightmare. And tactically unsound to put yourself in a position to be robbed by a large group.
Stick a battery and electric motor that has regen capabilities on there and you'll have the perfect vehicle to get around no matter your resource situation. Use the battery power whenever you do have it from regenerative braking and other charging means, and use leg power whenever you run out of battery.
tk for tu juan
Guess a mountain bike becomes the most realistic doomsday vehicle when there is no gas or electricity
wxguy95
AG
Miata is always the answer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.