Doomsday Vehicle

4,077 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by wxguy95
Conroe_Ag_8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You are gearing up a new rig from scratch. What Make/model/year are you starting with?

(Posting to Outdoor board to compare notes)
Complete Idiot
Diesel Hilux
vmiaptetr
AG
Toyota Mega Cruiser.
JB
AG
Something simple and easy to repair.

Thinking old Toyota

Or TBI Chevy. Only a few sensors and replacement parts could be found

Or a 99-06 Chevy. Also easy to find parts.

Or a 4.0 Jeep

I guess you got to define what we are doing on doomsday

I think the easy answer is some sort of military vehicle. The Humvees have the 6.5, so I'd say no on that

Maybe a 2.5 ton truck, but not very maneuverable

Dr. Nefario
12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride!

Canyonero!
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
ReloadAg
AG
Earth roamer

vmiaptetr
AG
I thought about that, but I thought, "Dang. Even if it was doomsday, I'd rather die than spend a million bucks on one of those."
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Nothing with electronics
Buck Turgidson
Nothing that was rare and hard to source replacement parts for. Nothing with turbos and lots of modern electronics. Probably an old school, simple truck or SUV with low miles on a V8 engine or maybe diesel before the DEF fluid mandate. 4wd would be mandatory.

Some SHTF books from years gone by recommended old Dodge Power Wagons from the 70's as a starting platform.
ac04
dubi
AG
My '05 Tundra fits the criteria very nicely!
Naveronski
AG
ReloadAg said:

Earth roamer

Heavy, eats bearings as quickly as fuel.
Naveronski
AG
dubi said:

Yeah, probably something like this. Double cab would be nice though.
tk for tu juan
tk for tu juan
dubi
AG
Naveronski said:

dubi said:

Yeah, probably something like this. Double cab would be nice though.
It is a double cab SR5. 70k miles
LOYAL AG
AG
What fuel is going to be available in this doomsday scenario and how much of it will you have? My answer to the OP is probably an old Land Cruiser or Jeep, YJ or older. I'm just curious how useful a vehicle is in a doomsday scenario. Guess it depends on your definition of doomsday.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
TecRecAg
AG
Probably H1 Hummer with a 6.6 Duramax. Cause Hell, why not?
Complete Idiot
LOYAL AG said:

What fuel is going to be available in this doomsday scenario and how much of it will you have? My answer to the OP is probably an old Land Cruiser or Jeep, YJ or older. I'm just curious how useful a vehicle is in a doomsday scenario. Guess it depends on your definition of doomsday.
I chose DIESEL Hilux because diesel stores much better than gasoline, doesn't degrade as fast.

An old military deuce and a half can run on motor oil, cooking oil - maybe that's an even better choice.

I guess an EV can be charged, slowly, with some solar panel arrays so from a fueling standpoint maybe that's a good choice.
dubi
AG
Those with enough guns and ammo can acquire whatever they might need in a doomsday scenario.
PMD03
AG
I imagine that a world without industry would revert back to animals. Or we just don't travel.
akaggie05
AG
Yep, older diesel with minimal electronics is the way to go. As mentioned, diesel stores better and you can run on diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, etc etc.
GrapevineAg
AG
Yep, old Dodge PowerWagon would be on my list. Maybe I'd include an old IH Scout turbo diesel.

Would echo the bit about minimal electronics, and I'd keep spares of electronics in a faraday box or similar. Diesel is a good point.
MGS
Enviroag02
AG
Toyota Troopy
Tim Weaver
You guys all got it wrong. Look at how many beat to crap and barely running Dodge Chargers there are in Houston. Those things are like cockroaches.
Naveronski
AG
Oh! Then a 6 year old Nissan Altima should be on everyone's list!
lb3
AG
'87 F-150 with the 4.9 inline 6 was carbureted, no ECU, has a mechanical fuel pump on the engine, and front disc brakes. Pretty solid place to start.
Aggie Dad 26
Give me back the Army Buffalo truck and let me watch the world go to hell
cav14
LOYAL AG said:

Exactly what I always say whenever this thought experiment comes up. All gas would quickly get used up within weeks if not days from widespread panic and hoarding, and any gas you happen to hoard for yourself would all go bad within 6 months to a year. Also good luck on obtaining any motor oil for your required oil change after a few months.

Wall-E had it completely right. The only machinery that will actually be worth a damn are ones that run purely on electrical power (ie. EVs), not dead dinosaurs. So something like the Hummer EV or a converted Hummer H1 would be an ideal doomsday vehicle.

Aggie Dad 26
Tires would be worth their weight in gold.
3rd Platoon
AG
ac04 said:

Why the Hilux isn't sold in the US is beyond me. That thing is an absolute BEAST of a vehicle.
vmiaptetr
AG
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KmJ8MN60/1996-toyota-hilux-4x4

I bought an imported Land Cruiser from this site.
lb3
AG
cav14 said:

LOYAL AG said:

Exactly what I always say whenever this thought experiment comes up. All gas would quickly get used up within weeks if not days from widespread panic and hoarding, and any gas you happen to hoard for yourself would all go bad within 6 months to a year. Also good luck on obtaining any motor oil for your required oil change after a few months.

Wall-E had it completely right. The only machinery that will actually be worth a damn are ones that run purely on electrical power (ie. EVs), not dead dinosaurs. So something like the Hummer EV or a converted Hummer H1 would be an ideal doomsday vehicle.

Do we consider an EMP as a possible cause of this dooms day scenario or are we just starting in season 3 of The Walking Dead?
tk for tu juan
If fuel was unlimited, I would choose a Carbon Cub or another short takeoff/landing plane. Land just about anywhere, hunt/fish, cook/camp/sleep, and then fly to next spot. Might as well enjoy some aerial scenery before eventually getting taken out by another survivor with better weapons

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.