Cybertruck initial pricing

15,936 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by The Fife
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree it looks better in some of the colored wraps I've seen on,one so far. It's starting to grow on me. It'd be a fun toy.
tk for tu juan
The Out of Spec Review range test at 70 mph only went 254 miles before hitting 0% on a dual motor version.
aggieforester05
AG
tk for tu juan said:

The Out of Spec Review range test at 70 mph only went 254 miles before hitting 0% on a dual motor version.

Again, $80K is beyond ridiculous for the base 4WD version with no options.
Guitarsoup
AG
aggieforester05 said:

tk for tu juan said:

LOL, ok. All those options you can get? For the Cybertruck, they just include it. So you won't show up for it and the dealer is trying to force you to buy bull**** theft protection or UV coating or undercoat protection or their stupid floor mats. The only option is dual motor or triple motor.

With Tesla for 80k, you get the bigger battery (optional on the Lightning) the electric bed cover (optional on the lightning) the max tow (optional on the lightning), the bed liner (optional on the lighning), the big plug in the bed (optional on the lightning) , etc.

Add all the options to a XLT lightning that come standard on the Cybertruck and you are still paying $80k.
tk for tu juan
Ford just announced price increases for most of the Lightning lineup, and eliminated the XLT extended range for 2024. There is a new trim level called Flash to replace the XLT extended range

The F-150 Lightning cost breakdown from 2023 to 2024:
  • Pro (240 mile EPA-estimated range) from $49,995 to $54,995
  • XLT 311 A (240 mile EPA-estimated range) from $54,995 to $64,995
  • XLT 312 A (320 mile EPA-estimated range) from $69,995 to eliminated in 2024
  • Flash (320 mile EPA-estimated range) is a new offering for $73,495
  • Lariat (240 mile EPA-estimated range) from $69,995 to eliminated in 2024
  • Lariat (320 mile EPA-estimated range) from $77,495 to $79,495
  • Platinum (300 mile EPA-estimated range) from $91,995 to $84,995
  • Platinum Black (300 mile EPA-estimated range) from $97,995 to $92,995
Ag for Life
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Ford just announced price increases for most of the Lightning lineup, and eliminated the XLT extended range for 2024. There is a new trim level called Flash to replace the XLT extended range

Brilliant plan Ford! Can't sell the current ones, cut production by 50%.... Let's increase prices for 2024!!!!!
aggieforester05
AG
Guitarsoup said:

aggieforester05 said:

tk for tu juan said:

LOL, ok. All those options you can get? For the Cybertruck, they just include it. So you won't show up for it and the dealer is trying to force you to buy bull**** theft protection or UV coating or undercoat protection or their stupid floor mats. The only option is dual motor or triple motor.

With Tesla for 80k, you get the bigger battery (optional on the Lightning) the electric bed cover (optional on the lightning) the max tow (optional on the lightning), the bed liner (optional on the lighning), the big plug in the bed (optional on the lightning) , etc.

Add all the options to a XLT lightning that come standard on the Cybertruck and you are still paying $80k.

Being priced competitively with another overpriced product doesn't make it a good deal.
Guitarsoup
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Guitarsoup said:

aggieforester05 said:

tk for tu juan said:

Being priced competitively with another overpriced product doesn't make it a good deal.

Over priced compared to what? I'm comparing it to the only real comparable thing on the market.

It's definitely more than a Mazda B2000. So what.
aggieforester05
AG
Guitarsoup said:

aggieforester05 said:

Guitarsoup said:

aggieforester05 said:

tk for tu juan said:

Over priced compared to what? I'm comparing it to the only real comparable thing on the market.

It's definitely more than a Mazda B2000. So what.

Firstly it's overpriced from a functional standpoint. Pickups shouldn't cost $80K, that's beyond ridiculous and it's sad that consumers have accepted this. These electric trucks are what the fed is forcing us into and they're way too expensive for what they are and resultantly will kill the market for new and used trucks in the future.

It's overpriced compared to the Lighting with a similar range and that truck is also over priced (see above), doesn't sell well and is sold at a loss.

It's grossly overpriced compared to ICE 4x4 1/2 ton counterparts.

It's overpriced compared to the Model 3 and Model Y which are have proven that electric cars can be produced economicaly and profitably. The Cybertruck doesn't follow that trend.

It's overpriced compared to the initial estimates and not so little as to be dismissed by inflation alone.

IMO you should be able to get into a bare bones 4x4 for $65K. That would have been a reasonable increase.

The $65K 2wd version is a joke.

Maybe they'll drop the price like they've done with other models and are just sticking it to the early adopters. If they stick with $80k or go higher after the preorders dry up, then I hope it fails spectacularly. The automotive industry needs a correction.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Firstly it's overpriced from a functional standpoint. Pickups shouldn't cost $80K, that's beyond ridiculous and it's sad that consumers have accepted this.
Go buy an XL with vinyl bench seat and quit crying then if you care about value and function. This and the Lariat don't intent to compete with that level of buyer.

Quote:

These electric trucks are what the fed is forcing us into and they're way too expensive for what they are and resultantly will kill the market for new and used trucks in the future.

No they aren't. Cybertrucks aren't included in that. They aren't passenger cars or light trucks.

Quote:

It's overpriced compared to the Lighting with a similar range and that truck is also over priced (see above), doesn't sell well and is sold at a loss.

If they are selling at a loss and they sell at comparable prices, they aren't overpriced. You are arguing against yourself. Is it more expensive than a work duty truck? Sure. That isn't the intention of the vehicle.

Quote:

It's grossly overpriced compared to ICE 4x4 1/2 ton counterparts.

Compare apples to apples. Different vehicles and different markets with some cross over. Do you think a lot of people are searching for a regular old XLT then deciding to go with the Delorean pickup?

In any event, if you build out a XLT with cloth seats, 3.5L Ecoboost, 4x4, max tow, retractable cover, navigation, spray bedliner to match it up as close as you can to the Cybertruck... you are at $68k. So It is $12k more, but you get a tax credit (i think) and will pay less for gas, maintenance, etc.

Quote:

It's overpriced compared to the Model 3 and Model Y which are have proven that electric cars can be produced economicaly and profitably. The Cybertruck doesn't follow that trend.

You are comparing a mid-sized 4-door sedan to a heavy duty to 6600lb pickup so you can call the pickup overpriced? GTFO.

Quote:

It's overpriced compared to the initial estimates and not so little as to be dismissed by inflation alone.

Addressed on previous pages. The difference is pretty much the increase in steel and inflation over 4 years.

Quote:

IMO you should be able to get into a bare bones 4x4 for $65K. That would have been a reasonable increase.

Tesla doesn't really do bare bones for something like this. They aren't competing in that market. Nothing they ever make will try to compete with the XL or XLT. That isn't their target.

Quote:

The $65K 2wd version is a joke.

k

Quote:

Maybe they'll drop the price like they've done with other models and are just sticking it to the early adopters. If they stick with $80k or go higher after the preorders dry up, then I hope it fails spectacularly. The automotive industry needs a correction.

If it drops in price, it likely wont be much and likely wont be for a long time. When Tesla dropped the price on the M3, it was after the Fed's 7500 credit expired. Then when Biden brought it back, they brought the price back up.

The other trucks that would compete with it on specs are not far off in price. Hear me out, but I bet these multi-billion dollar companies have done a better job figuring out their costs to make something than Aggieforester05 has and they probably have a better idea of what they need to sell it at and what the market is than you do.

But cool that your opinion is that it is way too overpriced and cool that you are trying to compare things that aren't at all similar. Hey, an Audi S7 is $100k and a Kia hatchback is $30k. Man, Audi IS WAY OVERPRICED! I JUST WANT A CHEAP HATCHBACK!
drumboy
AG
I also like fast hatchbacks.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
OasisMan
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

The AWD version is priced right around an F150 Platinum. What does the F150 have that this doesn't?
the F150 comes white and the cybertruck doesnt!!!
htxag09
AG
These arguments are funny to me.

To me, I'd never even consider buying it at that price. But doesn't mean it's overpriced.

Demand is obviously there, so they can charge whatever the hell they want.

But, same goes for the people defending the price as anything other than supply and demand. They jacked up the price from initial ordering because they could. Good for them. It's not a coincidence that this thing comes on a couple bucks under the tax credit threshold. Which, in itself is a joke. Taxpayers absolutely should not be subsidizing someone buying an $80k vehicle.
JSKolache
AG
They got over 2m reservations for the truck, they can charge whatever TF they want and still have buyers.
Sea Speed
AG
JSKolache said:

They got over 2m reservations for the truck, they can charge whatever TF they want and still have buyers.

ktownag08
AG
Saw one in real life for the first time today. It was a really dark green color which looked good.

It's definitely unlike anything else on the road. Not very big either which was probably the most shocking part to me. Expected it to be much bigger.

Not a car I'd buy though...
Sazerac
AG
Just saw my first on Memorial in Houston.
Looked like a modern el Camino.
Complete Idiot
Finally had my first sighting yesterday, NW of Austin. Very, very odd looking vehicle - which I am sure is the appeal to some and repellant to others.

Owner parked in a spot and then moved to a different more open spot. I don't think it's any wider than a normal truck, but I wouldn't be surprised if some Cybertruck purchasers have never driven a truck before.
The Fife
tk for tu juan said:

Just under 6 figures, but with less range than my mom's '87 2 door Sentra.
tk for tu juan
70 hp
94 lb-ft
0-60mph 12.5 secs
Only got 32 mpg highway with those weak stats

Sounds great.
AgGrad99
AG
there are a couple in my area/neighborhood. Some parent at my kid's school has one. It is the stupidest looking thing on the street.
The Fife
I'd rather keep the 6 figures and put however much of it into my F-100. With EFI and better gearing I bet I could get it to break 15mpg and equal the range of the Cybertruck, while still looking a hell of a lot better.

Probably enough left over afterwords to find a Sentra SE and do a SR20 engine swap too.
tk for tu juan
Put the SR20 in a Datsun 620 and you get a combo of a lightweight vehicle and a truck
Stat Monitor Repairman
What texags poster will be the first to take delivery of a cybertruck?
The Fife
Those and the next gen were their best looking trucks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.