22 Ford Maverick

6,923 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Green2Maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like this. My dad has a Ridgeline and it reminds me a lot of that.
Waterski02
AG
I'd drive one of these for work. Especially when you can almost get two WT spec built XLs for the price of one 3/4 ton that we keep buying. 24k. 4wd. Crew cab. I see these making a killing with fleet managers given increasing pressure on fossil fuels.
drummer0415
AG
I like everything about this except for the fact that you can't get 4x4 (actually AWD) with the hybrid motor. You have to go for the full gas ecoboost.
ReloadAg
AG
I saw Doug Demuro's review on the Maverick yesterday and it looks pretty cool I think. They're gonna sell a crap load of them.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
drummer0415 said:

I like everything about this except for the fact that you can't get 4x4 (actually AWD) with the hybrid motor. You have to go for the full gas ecoboost.

I think they will offer it eventually.
Sea Speed
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Why didn't they call it the Ranchero

Should have called the ranger the F-50 and this the F-5
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Sea Speed said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Should have called the ranger the F-50 and this the F-5

F100 and f 50
scd88
AG
Looks better than a Ranger. I can't get past the "Maverick" label. I mean, what's the next iteration of the Pinto?
Picard
AG
scd88 said:

Looks better than a Ranger. I can't get past the "Maverick" label. I mean, what's the next iteration of the Pinto?

Another type of bean. The "Soybean" would be a great car name for today's millennials.
chimpanzee
scd88 said:

The old Maverick is remembered by few, not sure why OEM's feel the need to recycle old names, but trademarking anything is a PITA, I know that. It's probably just easier to go back to the filing cabinet and pull out something that you maintained the rights on from the 70's.

I like the F100 idea, but something as innocuous as calling it the F50 to get in to the F-series nomenclature trips over Ferrari's trademarks.
WildcatAg
AG
Picard said:

scd88 said:

Another type of bean. The "Soybean" would be a great car name for today's millennials.

I recall a display in our local Ford dealer that showed all the soybean material that is used in newer interiors. So it would be doubly appropriate.
chimpanzee
WildcatAg said:

Picard said:

scd88 said:

I recall a display in our local Ford dealer that showed all the soybean material that is used in newer interiors. So it would be doubly appropriate.
Rodents everywhere eagerly await the degradation of weather stripping.
HollywoodBQ
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Love the Pontiac grille on the chevy version
They did try to sell the HSV Holden Ute as a Pontiac in the USA.

In Australia many enthusiasts will put Chevy badges on their Holden and HSV Utes.
YouBet
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

I'm guessing it would be considered racist.

Shockingly, I like this little guy. Potentially moving to a truck if we move, but I would absolutly get made fun of down here on the coast with that. Not that I care. The number of trucks that are jacked up with crazy neon sh^t down here are unreal.
YouBet
AG
BBRex said:

I like everything about that except the dial-a-gear transmission knob. I just can't get on board with that.
I'm in a loaner GMV Traverse(?) right now and instead of a stick or dial there are four individual buttons that you flick to change the gear. It works fine but it's such a emasculating experience to change your gear by flicking a button.

Would rather at least have the knob to turn.
vansprinkle
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

That new Maverick looks like they took a Jeep Renegade and turned it into a pickup.

In Australia, they had a Maverick Ute. They never had the Ranchero but were still building Ford Falcon Utes up until a couple years ago.

Here's a Maverick commercial

Here's a Ford versus Chevy Ute battle

I wish ours had a third pedal option. I wish the 2.7 Bronco had a third pedal option. I wish more vehicles had a third pedal option
chilidogfood
AG
I dont understand the motivation for FWD. It has to be cost/clearance related. The battery is probably located in the belly and they would have to have minimal clearance to get a driveshaft to the rear.

I don't see that being a good option for a truck though, unless you didnt plan on having anything heavy in the bed or hooked up to the rear bumper.
vansprinkle
AG
chilidogfood said:

I dont understand the motivation for FWD. It has to be cost/clearance related. The battery is probably located in the belly and they would have to have minimal clearance to get a driveshaft to the rear.

I don't see that being a good option for a truck though, unless you didnt plan on having anything heavy in the bed or hooked up to the rear bumper.

FWD is cheaper than RWD, especially when it's based on an existing FWD platform.

I'd also make an argument about not being able to turn the engine longitudinal in that engine bay, but I'm sure someone will eventually Ls swap one of these and I'll look like a moron with my limited space argument.
YouBet
AG
chilidogfood said:

Dumb comment as I'm not a truck expert but maybe they thought FWD is fine for this particular truck because you can't put too much heavy in the bed anyway? And maybe towing capability is subsequently limited as well due to its size?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG

n_touch
Doesn't look that much smaller than a Ranger
YouBet
AG
I just priced out a loaded Lariat for around $36K. That's pretty damn incredible considering the cost of cars these days.

This one is very intriguing. Sharing alot of the same DNA as the Bronco Sport I actually like this way better than the Bronco Sport.
tfunk02
AG
Looks a good bit smaller when it is side by side...

BreNayPop
AG
Why didn't they name it the new El Camino? Shorter nose and higher bed, but same principle vehicle
halibut sinclair
BreNayPop said:

Why didn't they name it the new El Camino? Shorter nose and higher bed, but same principle vehicle
Maybe Ranchero.

El Camino was a Chevy.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not the prettiest girl at the dance
reproag
AG
Here are some pictures of the Lariat that came by our dealership.

scd88
AG
I still say it's a better looking set of wheels than the Ranger. If you live in a tight parking spot city like Austin and have the need for a honey-do truck, this isn't a bad option.
Flaith
AG
I figured it would be dimensionally similar to the old Explorer Sport-Trac, but it is smaller and less powerful than even the 1st gen Sport Trac. sheesh
YouBet
AG
I've never even seen a Ranger. Is this brand new as well? Last one I remember was from years and years ago.
helgs
AG
Flaith said:

I figured it would be dimensionally similar to the old Explorer Sport-Trac, but it is smaller and less powerful than even the 1st gen Sport Trac. sheesh
But twice the MPG and looks like a truck vs. a bed slapped on an SUV (even if this is exactly what it is today).

I'm seriously considering picking up one. I want a truck, but I want to be able to park it in my garage. I don't haul anything, but the occasional Home Depot run. Looking to upgrade from my 2015 Cherokee.
Waterski02
AG
Our fleet manager is still specing them out. At almost 2:1 for a 3/4 or 1 ton they look like a bargain for management that just drives around hardly using the bed.
YouBet
AG
If pride and ego weren't a factor, this truck would totally cannibalize their existing fleet and they would regret ever having made it.

However, humans, so they should be good here.
katy91
AG
I ordered a Maverick XL this past Monday. Got an email today stating it will go into production Oct 11. I am not a car/truck enthusiast but looking around at the going rates for vehicles these days I couldn't find a better deal. I gave my car-Altima-to my daughter so she would have a reliable vehicle. Then bought my son,15yo, his dream car-used Miata. I have been driving the Miata since February. So I am eagerly waiting on delivery.
Flaith
AG
helgs said:

Flaith said:

But twice the MPG and looks like a truck vs. a bed slapped on an SUV (even if this is exactly what it is today).

I'm seriously considering picking up one. I want a truck, but I want to be able to park it in my garage. I don't haul anything, but the occasional Home Depot run. Looking to upgrade from my 2015 Cherokee.
I mean, sure they integrated the bed in to the cab better, but it still looks like a Bronco Sport with a bed (which it is)

It's super practical, and I hope they sell a ton of them

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.