Cybertruck

12,374 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Furlock Bones
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

Hope this is legit

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2021/03/tesla-fast-tracking-cybertruck-which-is-prioritized-over-semi.html
In his last JRE show, he noted that he thought they would have limited production this year with scaled production in 2022.
The Kraken
AG
Wonder how many people who placed deposits down will end up actually ordering and taking delivery. What were the figures for the Model 3?
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
MC Clap Yo Handz
AG
If this is true, I'm 7,284!
bam02
AG
Damn I want one, but I'm hopefully gonna put at least another 100k on the tundra first. This thing would be perfect for my truck needs.
dragons06
AG
1,076, I ordered before the launch event ended. Went with single motor which at the time was planned for delivery first. Hope to be able to switch to dual or tri.
Buck Turgidson
What is the attraction?

Pros:
-electric cars have better acceleration than gas vehicles.

Cons:
-ugly
-likely to have major production issues an poor quality based on earlier Tesla experience
-limited range

Questions:
-Does it have any utility as an actual pickup?
-Does it have all of the cool features that newer Ford, Dodge & GMC trucks have in the bed area?
-Are they going to stop lying about the glass being unbreakable?

Even if I could stand the appearance, no way would I be an early adapter of this truck. The first buyers are practically guaranteed to get trucks full of defects and bugs.
AggieKatie2
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

What is the attraction?

Pros:

Cons:
-ugly
-likely to have major production issues an poor quality based on earlier Tesla experience
-limited range

Questions:
-Does it have all of the cool features that newer Ford, Dodge & GMC trucks have in the bed area?

Even if I could stand the appearance, no way would I be an early adapter of this truck. The first buyers are practically guaranteed to get trucks full of defects and bugs.

The Tesla quality thing is largely BS. Yes there were some alignment issues on some vehicles, but not near as many as message boards and media make it seem. Through first 8 months it is easily the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Limited range? 500+ miles isn't enough for you? (more like 380 the way I drive). Then it only cost $12-15 to fully recharge vs $60-100 in gas and diesel. No oil changes.
PMD03
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

What is the attraction?

Pros:

Cons:
-ugly
-limited range

Questions:

For me, personally:

Pros:

-electric cars have better acceleration than gas vehicles. I'm not a bro. I don't buy trucks based on how fast they accelerate
-quiet
-stainless body means no pin stripes from mesquite
-Less routine maintenance

Cons:
-ugly I like the looks. It looks like a chonker Delorean
-likely to have major production issues an poor quality based on earlier Tesla experience. This is my biggest hesitation for the purchase. Can be said for every truck that isn't a Toyota.
-limited range. Should be fine for my needs. I have multiple vehicles and prefer cars for road trips over trucks.
-Heavy. I don't think weight has been posted yet, but I imagine this thing will be heavy as hell, meaning it will just rut up roads and paths in soft mud very easily.

Questions:
-Does it have any utility as an actual pickup? Yes

-Does it have all of the cool features that newer Ford, Dodge & GMC trucks have in the bed area? Yes. I am really interested in the built-in ramp and rear lowering air suspension. It will really help with loading up smaller vehicles such as four wheelers and motorcycles.

-Are they going to stop lying about the glass being unbreakable? Doubtful.
cav14
Buck Turgidson said:

What is the attraction?

Pros:

Cons:
-ugly
-limited range

Questions:

You obviously have a limited view on EVs in general, so here's a quick list of pros that actually matter for truck owners:

• Cheaper to maintain - EVs have a lot less moving parts
  • Cheaper fuel - home electricity (at least in Texas) is much cheaper than gas. This is even more important compared to powerful pickup trucks that get horrible gas mileage
  • Heavy batteries provide more weight for tires to gain better traction for towing or tug-of-war contests
  • No Catalytic converters for thieves to steal
  • A 240V output power supply can easily be added
  • Much better and quicker traction control through the use of software and multiple motors as opposed to differentials.
  • Use power while camping without having to worry about noise or carbon monoxide.
AGHouston11
AG
New World Ag said:

Wonder how many people who placed deposits down will end up actually ordering and taking delivery. What were the figures for the Model 3?
m

Model 3 was marketed as a very low cost option only to come in much higher cost wise than was told at the time of pre ordering.
K Bo
AG
I don't agree that that's a "limited view". I think that's the general skepticism for the move from ICE to EV in the near term (0-10 years). For a truck owner I think the biggest, and most valid, concerns are range, idle power output, and charging access. What if I want to take a trip to Big Bend for a week? Is that possible, in the next few years, with an EV? Is it possible to leave the truck "running" for hours to use that 240V power supply, or do I need to ensure I'm near a charging station? Would portable solar panels be enough to allow those two scenarios? (Serious questions)
EMY92
AG
I did see plenty of Teslas at Yellowstone last September. That is a good road trip from just about anywhere. Also, just driving in the park can eat some range. I didn't see any stranded on the side of the road.
K Bo
AG
That's cool. I guess they have already installed some charging infrastructure in Yellowstone?
Silvy
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

Limited range? 500+ miles isn't enough for you?
AgGrad99
AG
silverado_lover said:

AggieKatie2 said:

Im with you.

If you can re-charge in 2 minutes (ie, the amount of time it takes to fill up), these become a lot more appealing. Until then, I dont want the the hassle of trying to plan my driving/charging (much less multiple cars at my house).
EMY92
AG
The max flow on a regular fuel dispenser is 10 GPM. However, you will almost never find one close to that unless that are not running filters on their dispensers.

Diesel pumps at the truck islands pump faster.

Also, for the 500 miles, my last road trip I would have exceeded that on at least 4 different days.
Guitarsoup
AG
AgGrad99 said:

silverado_lover said:

AggieKatie2 said:

Im with you.

If you can re-charge in 2 minutes (ie, the amount of time it takes to fill up), these become a lot more appealing. Until then, I dont want the the hassle of trying to plan my driving/charging (much less multiple cars at my house).

When was the last time you stopped at Bucees for 120 seconds.
YouBet
AG
You folks quoting cheaper fuel as a pro for these are going to be sorely disappointed with this current administration.

This truck is horrific looking, but I applaud the effort.
AgGrad99
AG
EMY92 said:

The max flow on a regular fuel dispenser is 10 GPM. However, you will almost never find one close to that unless that are not running filters on their dispensers.

Also, for the 500 miles, my last road trip I would have exceeded that on at least 4 different days.
So....three minutes instead of two, maybe?

Still not comparable to the time to charge.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

When was the last time you stopped at Bucees for 120 seconds.
With my family, or by myself?

Those are drastically different stop times
Aggietaco
AG
AgGrad99 said:

EMY92 said:

So....three minutes instead of two, maybe?

Still not comparable to the time to charge.
No one is arguing that it is, and it probably never will be. But for the same reason you don't have a 100 gallon tank on your current vehicle, you will probably not see many EVs with a range much longer than 500 miles. Not many people get in their car and drive 8 hours straight very often. And when you do decide you want to drive more than 8 hours straight, a nice hour or so break after being in the seat for 6+ hours isn't the worst thing in the world. If the percent of the driving population that this affects isn't minuscule, maybe you should look into towable battery packs to extend the range of all of the EVs currently on the road so they won't be landlocked by their battery capacity.
javajaws
AG
K Bo said:

That's cool. I guess they have already installed some charging infrastructure in Yellowstone?
Static electricity from the buffalo and sage brush sliding off the sides of the stainless steel?
K Bo
AG
another pro for EVs! keep that static electricity away from my gasoline!
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

No one is arguing that it is, and it probably never will be. But for the same reason you don't have a 100 gallon tank on your current vehicle, you will probably not see many EVs with a range much longer than 500 miles. Not many people get in their car and drive 8 hours straight very often. And when you do decide you want to drive more than 8 hours straight, a nice hour or so break after being in the seat for 6+ hours isn't the worst thing in the world. If the percent of the driving population that this affects isn't minuscule, maybe you should look into towable battery packs to extend the range of all of the EVs currently on the road so they won't be landlocked by their battery capacity.
i understnad and agree with all that. I'm not really concerned about the range on a single trip.

but for a daily driver, I dont want to think about filling up. I dont really care if my truck has a 200 mile range or 800 mile range...because it takes me 2 minutes to fill up, and continue on my way. I dont have to think about it. I'm losing that convenience with an EV.

And for people like my wife, who runs her tank to near empty all the dang time, this would be a massive pain. She'd inevitably forget to charge, when she has 10 minutes before she has to be somewhere.

Im just saying, some people might not care about this. I'd hate the inconvenience for very little return. When you can quickly charge in the future, this will be a lot more attractive to me.
PMD03
AG
AgGrad99 said:

but for a daily driver, I dont want to think about filling up. I dont really care if my truck has a 200 mile range or 800 mile range...because it takes me 2 minutes to fill up, and continue on my way. I dont have to think about it. I'm losing that convenience with an EV.
What you are writing as a con is one of the main pros of an EV. Not having to think about filling up a daily driver.
AgGrad99
AG
Both have to 'fill up'. One with gas, one with electricity. One takes a lot longer than the other.
AggieFrog
AG
PMD03 said:

AgGrad99 said:

What you are writing as a con is one of the main pros of an EV. Not having to think about filling up a daily driver.

Unless you have some sort of auto Qi charger are you not plugging in that EV about every day or few days? Seems like you'd have to think about that more (can't just top it off in 5 minutes at any number of stations if you forget).
AggieKatie2
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

i understnad and agree with all that. I'm not really concerned about the range on a single trip.

And for people like my wife, who runs her tank to near empty all the dang time, this would be a massive pain. She'd inevitably forget to charge, when she has 10 minutes before she has to be somewhere.

Im just saying, some people might not care about this. I'd hate the inconvenience for very little return. When you can quickly charge in the future, this will be a lot more attractive to me.

As a daily driver, just charge at night and you don't even notice. Never impacts your day unless you are driving more than 250 miles.

Living in BCS, I daily drive a Y and only charge once or twice a week....always at night so it never impacts me during the day.

Also, gas is creeping back up under a Dem president again. My last truck had a 33 gal tank. On a good day that's at least $65, but more likely 75+ to go 500-550 miles. Where as I pay $9 to go 250, and the Cybertruck is supposed to have almost double the range and it'll probably be $18-25 to charge to full. Saving $50 per fill-up sounds pretty damn good to me.
Guitarsoup
AG
Quote:

You don't lose that as a daily driver. You leave your house charged every day or two and never have to worry about stopping at all. It is significantly more convenient for a daily driver and it isn't even close.

You park at home, put the charger in and go inside. Takes about a second to put the charger in.

This is one of the strongest points of an EV and a huge negative of a gas car, comparatively.
Aggietaco
AG
He's arguing against the added responsibility of having to remember to "fill up" every night or every other night at home and wants the freedom to forget and be able to stop on the way to drop the kids off at the nearest Exxon.

I get the argument, but after any experience with an EV most would find it to be a moot point, charging at home is easy.
Guitarsoup
AG
Aggietaco said:

He's arguing against the added responsibility of having to remember to "fill up" every night or every other night at home and wants the freedom to forget and be able to stop on the way to drop the kids off at the nearest Exxon.

I get the argument, but after any experience with an EV most would find it to be a moot point, charging at home is easy.
Exactly. It is a dumb argument by someone that hasn't done it. It's like saying "I would never carry a briefcase or a backpack, because I have to take it out of my car." Same amount of effort.

An Apple watch is more of a pain to take make sure it is charged than an EV.
03_Aggie
Guitarsoup said:

Aggietaco said:

Exactly. It is a dumb argument by someone that hasn't done it. It's like saying "I would never carry a briefcase or a backpack, because I have to take it out of my car." Same amount of effort.

An Apple watch is more of a pain to take make sure it is charged than an EV.

Lol. You make a comparison to a briefcase/backpack and then say remembering to plug something in everyday is more of a pain than remembering to plug something else in everyday.

Nice work.
AgGrad99
AG
It's not a dumb argument. It is a consideration, whether you think it's a big one or not. If you have to charge any time other than night, it's something you have to work around. Have multiple cars that need to charge at the house at night?...even more so.

It's ok to recognize the pros and cons, without taking it personally
YouBet
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

As a daily driver, just charge at night and you don't even notice. Never impacts your day unless you are driving more than 250 miles.

Living in BCS, I daily drive a Y and only charge once or twice a week....always at night so it never impacts me during the day.

Also, gas is creeping back up under a Dem president again. My last truck had a 33 gal tank. On a good day that's at least $65, but more likely 75+ to go 500-550 miles. Where as I pay $9 to go 250, and the Cybertruck is supposed to have almost double the range and it'll probably be $18-25 to charge to full. Saving $50 per fill-up sounds pretty damn good to me.

So, here in possibly a year or so you won't be saving that $50 anymore. You realize that right?

I'm not saying it's a deal killer but it removes a major selling point of EV.
Guitarsoup
AG
AgGrad99 said:

It's not a dumb argument. It is a consideration, whether you think it's a big one or not. If you have to charge any time other than night, it's something you have to work around. Have multiple cars that need to charge at the house at night?...even more so.

It's ok to recognize the pros and cons, without taking it personally
I'm not taking it personally, but I've actually dealt with this since I have two plug in cars. I do have two 50amp plugs, but it is easier to use the same plug for both.

Anyone pretending like it is a big deal for a daily driver hasn't done it.

The only real consideration is where to put the plugs and how many to install. I already had both 50 amps for power tools, so that made it even easier.

I can see how it may seem like a con to someone who hasn't done it, but it just isn't one for anyone that has. If you live somewhere you can't can a 30 or 50 amp plug, that would be a different story, but we clearly aren't talking about that.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.