Cybertruck

12,209 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Furlock Bones
AggieKatie2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been watching a lot of TRX videos recently. All they do is make me more pumped about the Cybertruck.

It's cheaper, faster, better mileage, more ground clearance than the TRX which is insane.

Can't wait for Tesla to finish Austin factory and for TX legislature to get rid of the middle man car sales law.
Furlock Bones
AG
easttexasaggie04
AG
The announcement of the CyberTruck seems like 5 years ago. Are we sure it's still going to happen?
AggieKatie2
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

The announcement of the CyberTruck seems like 5 years ago. Are we sure it's still going to happen?

2020 will do that....supposedly a few out this year and full production starts in 2022.
PMD03
AG
I would be surprised to see any this year. 1st Qtr 2021 almost done. You can drive past the site on 130 and while a lot of work is getting done, it looks like there is still a ways to go. I also believe that I read awhile back that the Model Y line will be the first line to be started at the Austin factory.
Aggietaco
AG
PMD03 said:

I would be surprised to see any this year. 1st Qtr 2021 almost done. You can drive past the site on 130 and while a lot of work is getting done, it looks like there is still a ways to go. I also believe that I read awhile back that the Model Y line will be the first line to be started at the Austin factory.
I think you'll be surprised. Production in Sparks started in tents, GFTX will be slightly better than that.
FIDO*98*
AG
Listening to Musk on the most recent JRE appearance has me fired up about my Cybertruck. I'm like 200K on the list so I've still got a long ass wait.
tk for tu juan
AggieKatie2 said:

faster
There are speeds above 60mph
Flaith
AG
I still don't get it. The cybertruck metal triangle thing isn't a joke?

It has to be a joke.
CyclingAg82
AG
They are a little less than half way (my guess) through building the manufacturing plant in East Austin.

It is a massive building, if you drive on SH130, at exit 446 is the site.

It is impressive to the least, the amount of progress since they broke ground, the number of cranes and equipment at the site is eye popping.

I am very interested in the Cybertruck and may place an order soon.
PMD03
AG
RN112854908 is my number. Not sure where that puts me.
Cromagnum
AG
Here's to hoping people buy things like this and outfit them for full-scale battlebots.
04.arch.ag
AG
I am RN114587667 so not sure if it's sequential but I just did the confirmation knowing I will need a new company truck in 2 years
FIDO*98*
AG
PMD03 said:

RN112854908 is my number. Not sure where that puts me.

112854908-112744100 (This is the first reservation #) =110,808

Actual number will depend on configuration and how many people follow through, but, you could be rolling in mid '22 with some luck
AggieKatie2
AG
I'm hoping proximity to factory and ability to pick up on site helps move those in the area up the list.

Aggietaco
AG
CyclingAg82 said:

They are a little less than half way (my guess) through building the manufacturing plant in East Austin.

It is impressive to the least, the amount of progress since they broke ground, the number of cranes and equipment at the site is eye popping.

You don't need a full building to start manufacturing vehicles.
CrottyKid
AG
I thought there had to be redesigns because the frame didn't pass crumple zone safety standards.
Teslag
AG
An electric Ridgeline....

Yay I guess
Mookie
AG
I am 97031 in line
PMD03
AG
Thanks. If I remember correctly, I ordered one the morning after the presentation after sleeping on the decision. Over 100k people ahead of me is wild.
CyclingAg82
AG
Aggietaco said:

CyclingAg82 said:

You don't need a full building to start manufacturing vehicles.

Not sure about that, you need a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, all life safety systems complete and operational, which in my experience means the building is complete.

Also, once you start a assembly line....materials come in one end and finished vehicles come out the other. I think I see a vehicle holding area to the south end of project, where complete vehicles would be queued for shipping.

If you ever have a chance to visit the Toyota Tundra plant in San Antonio, it is one heck of an operation.
Aggietaco
AG
I'm in the industry, so I'm aware of what's necessary to occupy. Just trust me that things work differently in Elon-land. There will still be steel being erected and concrete being placed with people and robots in the building.
aggieforester05
AG
413,294 in line
lb sand
AG
According to your vin # . I'm 1,134,000 in line.

How many reservations has Tesla taken?

According to the google, Ford only makes around 900k f-150's per year.
DeWrecking Crew
A literal bulletproofed vehicle capable of pulling 14,000 pounds, 3500 pound payload, with a 500 mile range, seats 6, with a 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds and 100 cubic feet of exterior lockable storage is intriguing...but Jesus is it ugly, and I'm a function over form guy.
CyclingAg82
AG
Aggietaco said:

I'm in the industry, so I'm aware of what's necessary to occupy. Just trust me that things work differently in Elon-land. There will still be steel being erected and concrete being placed with people and robots in the building.
Interesting....I am in the Construction Industry and that is surprising.

Thanks for the information, had no idea.
Fairview
AG
Looks like I'm 85992 but I went for the tri-motor which comes out later.
CactusThomas
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

A literal bulletproofed vehicle

Should we tell him?
AggieKatie2
AG
Fairview said:

Looks like I'm 85992 but I went for the tri-motor which comes out later.

Tri-motor is first. It's the single motor that is later (if at all knowing Elon).
DeWrecking Crew
CactusThomas said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

A literal bulletproofed vehicle

Should we tell him?

Please tell me, what am I missing

[Url] [/url]

Quote:

In the above video, we see the Cybertruck's 3-mm cold rolled 304 stainless steel is actually bulletproof. The test is conducted with a 9 mm pistol and various large and small rifle rounds. The test starts with a 0.22LR Hypervelocity round. After the shot is fired there is barely a mark on the metal panel being used. The next round is a 9-mm full metal jacket. The impact this time is much harder and clearly makes a dent in the steel, but does not penetrate. The next round is also a 9 mm but from a closer distance of 20 feet. It still does not penetrate.
jbeaman88
AG
I think it's doubtful this makes it into production due to the need for crumple zones for crash protection. Similar for the armored glass due to emergency egress/ingress needs.

I'm betting the production version is smaller and looks different from the original in several ways.
chimpanzee
jbeaman88 said:

I think it's doubtful this makes it into production due to the need for crumple zones for crash protection. Similar for the armored glass due to emergency egress/ingress needs.

I'm betting the production version is smaller and looks different from the original in several ways.
Elon was on with Jay Leno saying he's trying to make it virtually identical to the show car but they have to scale everything down 5% to get it to fit in garages.

I like the electric Ridgeline comparison, that is, it makes me want one more. Not that I'm going to buy one, but it seems more interesting when you look at it like that.
Duncan Idaho
The stainless panels was a big problem for the DeLorean. Basically you couldn't fix a any dent meant a new panel. Maybe PDR has improved enough that this wont be the case
HalifaxAg
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

A literal bulletproofed vehicle capable of pulling 14,000 pounds, 3500 pound payload, with a 500 mile range, seats 6, with a 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds and 100 cubic feet of exterior lockable storage is intriguing...but Jesus is it ugly, and I'm a function over form guy.
until there a Mr Fusion option, I'm out

and the person shooting that video is a terrible shot, where'd they get them from South Chicago?
AggieKatie2
AG
Hope this is legit

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2021/03/tesla-fast-tracking-cybertruck-which-is-prioritized-over-semi.html
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.