Cybertruck

12,210 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Furlock Bones
PMD03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Both have to 'fill up'. One with gas, one with electricity. One requires driving miles to a station, the other is delivered to my house 24/7.

I am willing to agree that an EV in a single vehicle household in Texas, especially South or West Texas, is probably not the best idea. However as a daily driver, in a household with another vehicle for road trips, the EV is hard to beat.
drumboy
AG
I don't get this hang up thinking charging an EV is such a big deal. There are charging stations all over the place and you don't have to get a 100% charge to be on your way. I could easily plug in at the WalMart by my house if I needed to and have plenty of charge for the rest of my day until getting home for an overnight charge. There are charging stations all over the place and at lots of workplaces as well. Now if only my Tundra was an EV.

500+ road trips would require planned meal stops but those are few & far between...and I opted to rent a car for my recent trip to CO anyway.

Guitarsoup
AG
03_Aggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

Aggietaco said:

He's arguing against the added responsibility of having to remember to "fill up" every night or every other night at home and wants the freedom to forget and be able to stop on the way to drop the kids off at the nearest Exxon.

I get the argument, but after any experience with an EV most would find it to be a moot point, charging at home is easy.
Exactly. It is a dumb argument by someone that hasn't done it. It's like saying "I would never carry a briefcase or a backpack, because I have to take it out of my car." Same amount of effort.

An Apple watch is more of a pain to take make sure it is charged than an EV.

Lol. You make a comparison to a briefcase/backpack and then say remembering to plug something in everyday is more of a pain than remembering to plug something else in everyday.

Nice work.
Sorry you can't connect the dots and I have to spell it out for you.

Charging an EV when you have chargers set up at your house takes about the same amount of effort as getting a backpack out of the backseat and taking it inside.

It is more cumbersome to deal with charging a wearable like an Apple Watch than plugging in your car. Both are obviously related as they need regular charging, but the watch is way more of a pain to deal with by far, and many tech-minded people that would consider an EV wear a watch like that.

Throughout the year, I will spend significantly less time charging my EV than I would getting gas in the car it replaced. A couple seconds to plug it in when I get home, and my time and effort is done on it.
03_Aggie
Guitarsoup said:

03_Aggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

Aggietaco said:

He's arguing against the added responsibility of having to remember to "fill up" every night or every other night at home and wants the freedom to forget and be able to stop on the way to drop the kids off at the nearest Exxon.

I get the argument, but after any experience with an EV most would find it to be a moot point, charging at home is easy.
Exactly. It is a dumb argument by someone that hasn't done it. It's like saying "I would never carry a briefcase or a backpack, because I have to take it out of my car." Same amount of effort.

Lol. You make a comparison to a briefcase/backpack and then say remembering to plug something in everyday is more of a pain than remembering to plug something else in everyday.

Nice work.

Charging an EV when you have chargers set up at your house takes about the same amount of effort as getting a backpack out of the backseat and taking it inside.

It is more cumbersome to deal with charging a wearable like an Apple Watch than plugging in your car. Both are obviously related as they need regular charging, but the watch is way more of a pain to deal with by far, and many tech-minded people that would consider an EV wear a watch like that.

Throughout the year, I will spend significantly less time charging my EV than I would getting gas in the car it replaced. A couple seconds to plug it in when I get home, and my time and effort is done on it.

I connected the dots just fine, thanks. Please keep us in the loop on what you do with the extra 5 minutes a week.
meggy09
AG
I don't believe you when you said you're not taking it personally.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Have y'all really never run into a time crunch because you needed to be somewhere at a certain time and you had to stop to fill up? If you are consistent with plugging in your EV I definitely see it as an upside. I get battery anxiety so I'm sure if/when I own one I will be good about plugging it in, but there is the downside of range anxiety if I am driving around a lot in a day or away from home.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
drumboy
AG
AgGrad99 said:

And for people like my wife, who runs her tank to near empty all the dang time, this would be a massive pain. She'd inevitably forget to charge, when she has 10 minutes before she has to be somewhere.

There are app reminders that tell you to plug your ride in at night if the battery has hit a certain threshold and if that's not enough, find a charging station, which are all over the place in cities, plug it in for 30 minutes while you enjoy a break at Starbucks, and you'll get 15 miles of range.
snowaggie
03_Aggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

03_Aggie said:

Guitarsoup said:

Aggietaco said:

Nice work.

I connected the dots just fine, thanks. Please keep us in the loop on what you do with the extra 5 minutes a week.
Boys, boys...don't argue over this, it makes me uncomfortable. It's inconsequential. The elephant in the room is really the state of recharge technology when you're out in the world. When it becomes more or less the equivalent of gassing up your vehicle, anywhere, anytime, and takes 10 minutes, we'll be there.
Duncan Idaho
If this makes you uncomfortable, I highly recommend you leave the internet for good
AggieKatie2
AG
Soooo...how much hail damage do you think that 30x steel would have this morning?

AgGrad99
AG
Definitely would have broken the windows....

AggieKatie2
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Definitely would have broken the windows....

Aggietaco
AG
Saw the CT in person today. It's very surreal looking. I'll be interested to see a production version.
AggieKatie2
AG
Aggietaco said:

Saw the CT in person today. It's very surreal looking. I'll be interested to see a production version.

Surreal as in....awesome or different? Could you imagine driving it?
Aggietaco
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

Aggietaco said:

Surreal as in....awesome or different? Could you imagine driving it?

Just different. Despite seeing it online and in videos it's still odd to see. It grew on me in just the time I spent walking around it, but it's still an odd duck. Watching it drive around was equally a weird experience - it looks like a movie prop.
SquanchyAg
This thread has been a good read. It's really an interesting argument to see the gas/diesel folks trying to convince the EV folks of who is right and the EV folks saying gas/diesel is inconvenient.

the way I figure it, just let the nerds and hipsters drive the EV's and the rest of us will drive gas/diesel vehicles. and we'll say both groups are right.

tk for tu juan
Have they said if all three versions will be in GVWR Class 2a?

Edit: nvm, early reporting mentioned it is possibly a Class 2b or 3 truck

https://tfltruck.com/2019/12/report-tesla-cybertruck-will-be-a-heavy-duty-truck-here-is-what-it-means-in-terms-of-efficiency-safety-and-weight/
AggieKatie2
AG
https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/tesla-cybertruck-could-have-an-incredible-610-mile-range

A bunch of patents were filed by Tesla and hit the news today....

Biggest one in my opinion is UI images showing 610 miles of range. Would be HUGE!!!!
lb3
AG
610 mile range with 0-60 times of 2.8 for $70k is enticing. Even if it looks like a CyberTruck.
GAC06
AG
Nope, every truck owner here drives 800 miles with a horse trailer as a daily commute. Won't work.
JobSecurity
AG
Elon's supposed to be giving a Cybertruck update today on Tesla's earnings call

And a walk-around of the new prototype or whatever you want to call it leaked yesterday
FIDO*98*
AG
Hope those guys didn't like their jobs. Adios mofos.

The CT looks better with mirrors and normal wheels
Aggietaco
AG
It's pretty accessible in the plant right now, but the dude with a tattoo is likely gone. Pictures are frowned upon, but sharing online is the only real no-no.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Yeah, I kinda feel like leaking a project of, while cracking on, the world's richest man is a poor life decision.
Furlock Bones
AG
that is truly one ugly piece of crap.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.