Trail Boss or AT4

16,029 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by NTXAggie14
Enviroag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
07fta07 said:

I have a '19 AT4 with the 6.2. Love the truck. The only issues I've had with it was the rear window leak (It was small and they resealed it and it's been good since) and then the leaf spring inserts had to be replaced. Lots of power and a very good ride and surprisingly decent fuel economy.

My window was resealed as well and no problems since. I love my truck as well. Just got a Truxedo Sentry CT tonneau on it, and I'm diggin it.
mm98
AG
Bwp1140 said:

Why is 5.3 so bad? Sorry once again I don't know much.

I've got it and with the 8sp it's really nice. I'm sure the 6.2 is more fun but I've never felt I needed more power with the 5.3
Silvy
AG
You're really missing out
Woods Ag
AG
I must have a lead foot. I get 17ish with the 2020 AT4 6.2

Love it though. Premium fuel is the only downside. And with the new administration that may start to hurt
crowman2010
AG
I'm buying a 2021 Sierra 1500 AT4 6.2L today!
Bwp1140
AG
Congrats! What color did you go with?
crowman2010
AG
Bwp1140 said:

Congrats! What color did you go with?
Black of course. Its 2021, I'm not racist.
crowman2010
AG
I also have a black Navigator and a black Sonata...
Bwp1140
aggieforester05
AG
T&P for you every time it rains. I dealt with that **** for 21 years now and I'm done with purchasing black vehicles.
crowman2010
AG
aggieforester05 said:

T&P for you every time it rains. I dealt with that **** for 21 years now and I'm done with purchasing black vehicles.
Bro...do you even graphene coat?

Black cars + Graphene + JJ's carwash membership = prettiest vehicles on the road
BNM20
I bought a black at4 3 weeks ago. Tell me more about graphene!
crowman2010
AG
BNM20 said:

I bought a black at4 3 weeks ago. Tell me more about graphene!
AgGrad99
AG
Anyone have a recommendation for someone good in Austin that'll polish out swirls and do coating? I don't have the patience to do it right myself.
el_scorcho
AG
After reading this thread I'm hearing:

5.3 in a 1/2 ton is underpowered and gutless
** 5.3-liter V8 with 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque paired to 8 speed transmission

How is this underpowered and gutless? I get that shift points and transmission programming can be less than ideal, but come on. Sure, the 6.2 with the 10 speed is awesome, but making it sound like the 6.2 and diesel are the only worthwhile choices is stupid.

Also, the bragging about fuel economy on here is dumb. You don't get 30 mpg in your diesel.
tk for tu juan
You can get the 10 speed with the 5.3L.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
I vote AT4 with a 3.0 diesel.

I have a 2020 Chevy Z71 with the 3.0. Best tank hand calculated was 27.8mpg. Lifetime avg is 25.5mpg. I have an app to calculate all of this data. Absolutely love the 10 speed with the 3.0....but next time will buy an AT4 with the 3.0

Silvy
AG
el_scorcho said:

How is this underpowered and gutless? I get that shift points and transmission programming can be less than ideal

I'd say the transmission programming is what makes it so gutless or are you just going to go WOT everywhere? If you want to make the driving experience less miserable, it's about $1400 to get a ECM that can be recalibrated then the $500-600 to pay a shop for the tune itself.
txagfisher
AG
el_scorcho said:

** 5.3-liter V8 with 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque paired to 8 speed transmission

How is this underpowered and gutless? I get that shift points and transmission programming can be less than ideal, but come on. Sure, the 6.2 with the 10 speed is awesome, but making it sound like the 6.2 and diesel are the only worthwhile choices is stupid.

Also, the bragging about fuel economy on here is dumb. You don't get 30 mpg in your diesel.

I just bought a 21 AT4 with the 5.3/10 speed. its perfectly fine for what I do with it. Didnt want to pay for premium fuel.
crowman2010
AG
txagfisher said:

el_scorcho said:

I just bought a 21 AT4 with the 5.3/10 speed. its perfectly fine for what I do with it. Didnt want to pay for premium fuel.
You don't have to pay for premium fuel...HTH
aggieforester05
AG
My old man runs regular in his 6.2L and I run premium in mine, but his seems fine. Premium is worth it to me for the full power and efficiency of the 6.2L, but everyone's priorities are different.
07fta07
AG
I run premium in mine. Don't see why you'd get the 6.2 then shortchange it.
crowman2010
AG
I just meant you don't have to...its not required
Bob Lee
AG
AggieChemist said:

Wouldn't that gif be more appropriate for the guys in lifted 3/4 ton diesel brodozers that don't haul anything heavier than their fat girlfriends?

Leave me out of this. I haven't done anything to you!
SCHTICK00
AG
We have the 6.2l in our boat and run premium. It sure likes the gas.
ILikeTacos
AG
aggieforester05 said:

My old man runs regular in his 6.2L and I run premium in mine, but his seems fine. Premium is worth it to me for the full power and efficiency of the 6.2L, but everyone's priorities are different.

Honest question, since when can engines determine octane content to achieve "full power" out of a change in gasoline? Are you stating that the engine can read that you have put premium in the motor and can adjust timing based on that?
Bob Lee
AG
ILikeTacos said:

aggieforester05 said:

Honest question, since when can engines determine octane content to achieve "full power" out of a change in gasoline? Are you stating that the engine can read that you have put premium in the motor and can adjust timing based on that?

I don't know the answer to your question, but if the owner's manual says to run 91 octane or higher, imma run 91 octane or higher.
Bwp1140
AG
Especially in a 60k truck ha
aggieforester05
AG
ILikeTacos said:

aggieforester05 said:

The knock sensors adjust timing to compensate for lower quality fuel when they detect knock. I'm not crazy about that but supposedly they're designed for it and can handle it. Not worth it to me. GM claims that you only get full power with premium fuel. I like power more than I like fuel, but it should get better fuel economy with premium since it can burn the fuel more efficiently.
Enviroag02
AG
If the 6.2 wasn't available the 5.3 wouldn't be called gutless. It's a proven perfectly fine engine.
SCHTICK00
AG
ILikeTacos said:

aggieforester05 said:

Octane = knock or detonation resistance. There are multiple, 3 I think, versions of the 6.2, all with different compression ratios. The higher the compression ratio the more likely you'll get detonation. Knock sensors will adjust timing to eliminate detonation caused by low octane fuel and thus put out less power.
Silvy
AG
Enviroag02 said:

If the 6.2 wasn't available the 5.3 wouldn't be called gutless. It's a proven perfectly fine engine.
In stock form, I'd still call it gutless. It pains me to say that any 5.0 or boooooost will curb stomp a 5.3.
Mookie
AG
Sorry, you all lost me when you mentioned premium fuel in a pick up truck.
Silvy
AG
Flagged for hyper negativity
Mookie
AG
Flagged for False Information
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.