Trail Boss or AT4

15,926 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by NTXAggie14
Bwp1140
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have a trail boss or at4? If so what are your thoughts? Would you recommend the 3.0 diesel or 5.3 V8? Also are they both worth the price?
TecRecAg
AG
You won't notice a ton of difference driving them

AT4 looks sharper to me. 5.3 is proven. Still unsure of these small diesels.
Silvy
AG
6.2 or nothing
SCHTICK00
AG
5.3 is anemic
Bwp1140
AG
If I want to keep the truck 10 years do y'all think 5.3 or 6.2? How much better is 6.2?
f2foxes2001
AG
6.2L or diesel. Avoid the 5.3l
End Of Message
AG
Very interested in Yukon XL AT4. If anyone has any comments or contacts, it would be appreciated. TIA.
14TheRoad
AG
Have a 2021 AT4. Similar to the trail boss but the front end looks way better on the GMC. The 5.3L is a turd so definitely either go with the 6.2 or the 3.0. Both the 6.2 and 3.0 produce 460 ft-lbs of torque. The 6.2 generates it up around 5k rpm whereas the 3.0 generates it at 1500 rpm.

I drove both and decided to go with the 3.0 but I don't think either is a bad choice. Averaging 23.5 mpg in mixed driving which is nice considering it's not exactly a small or aerodynamic truck.
Bwp1140
AG
Why is 5.3 so bad? Sorry once again I don't know much.
Bwp1140
AG
23.5 is great! Up where I am the diesel is a lot cheaper than the 6.2
Crazy Ag 97
AG
I have the 6.2 and love it. Gets way better mileage than I expected and the extra power is great. Regular highway driving I easily get 20+ mpg. Stop and go sucks the gas a little bit it's not that bad. Overall I'm at 18 mpg at 12,000 miles of probably 65% city driving. Gas costs a little more (premium), but the mileage is better than the 5.3 so it's basically a wash. You won't be disappointed with the 6.2.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Bwp1140 said:

Why is 5.3 so bad? Sorry once again I don't know much.

My personal guess, it's just not enough engine for the weight of the truck. I had the 5.3 on my previous truck and it just always seemed a touch sluggish to me, especially when compared to the 6.2 I have now.
aggieforester05
AG
I have the 6.2L in a 2020 Z71 and I really like it. Good power everywhere. I used to drive a 2008 5.3L for work and it always seemed gutless to me. Only seemed to make torque when you hooked a trailer up to it. Some of that I think was a tall second gear in the four speed.
GBMont3
AG
21 AT4 with the 3.0 too. Love the engine so far. I round trip FW/Midland 2-3x month for work so the efficiency + range is appreciated.

Fuel tank much smaller than my old f-150 but the improved mileage almost compensates.
bigjordo
AG
I have the 3.0 and love it. The 30mpg on the highway is ridiculous. And I found the 5.3 really underpowered

Change in circumstances mean I'm looking to potentially sell it though. Let me know if you're interested in a black 2021 with extremely low miles
AggieChemist
AG
I have a 19 5.3 trail boss. I love it. I don't know what you guys are trying to do with your trucks but mine has all the power I need. I drive off road a lot, I pull a heavy Ranger bass boat, and I live in the freakin mountains. And when I put my foot in it on the interstate it will peg the governor quickly. Sure a 6.2 would be fun, but I don't need it.
VictoriaAg01
AG
I have 2021 AT4 as well with the Duramax. Mileage is good but once you get over 75 mph it drops to low 20's which is still good on a lifted truck I guess. I only hit 27+ going under 70. Avg for me is around 21-22 mpg. At 4500 miles now and about 1/3 def tank still left.
TxAg20
AG
AggieChemist said:

I drive off road a lot, I pull a heavy Ranger bass boat, and I live in the freakin mountains.
AustinCountyAg
I got a 20' at4 with the 6.2.....love it. like others have said great power and decent mileage for what it is...

in terms of the truck it drives freaking great and smooth. You don't even realize that your going 90. I used to drive a gmc with the 5.3 and to me it always seemed sluggish when entering the freeway, or having to speed up. The 6.2 feel like a car to me when driving it. its awesome.

Personally when shopping for mine at the time I went with the at4 because I wanted cooled seats and leather, which the trail boss didnt have (it might now?).
AggieChemist
AG
Wouldn't that gif be more appropriate for the guys in lifted 3/4 ton diesel brodozers that don't haul anything heavier than their fat girlfriends?
Bwp1140
AG
Yeah send me a pm!
Bwp1140
AG
Yeah I'm gonna need to test drive some too. AT4 is definitely on the high end of my budget so would be very nice if I didn't have to pay a lot more for that upgraded 6.2
bigjordo
AG
No stars

Email me at ***removed
Flaith
AG
If you get the 5.3L instead of the 6.2L, you can only put the little truck nutz on your hitch

TxAg20
AG
AggieChemist said:

Wouldn't that gif be more appropriate for the guys in lifted 3/4 ton diesel brodozers that don't haul anything heavier than their fat girlfriends?

I wouldn't know. I drive a Toyota.
MouthBQ98
AG
AggieChemist said:

I have a 19 5.3 trail boss. I love it. I don't know what you guys are trying to do with your trucks but mine has all the power I need. I drive off road a lot, I pull a heavy Ranger bass boat, and I live in the freakin mountains. And when I put my foot in it on the interstate it will peg the governor quickly. Sure a 6.2 would be fun, but I don't need it.

Yeah, I have a whole different perspective of underpowered than most people. Probably comes from driving old vehicles most of my life. I don't like trucks that drive like sports cars, possibly because I have seen how recklessly some people drive in them.
aggieforester05
AG
It's all about perspective. My 6.2L is the slowest daily driver I've had since college. I still recognize that it has excellent torque compared to most other 1/2 ton pick up trucks I've driven over the years. I like to have really good acceleration, that doesn't mean you have to haul ass in traffic or on curvy roads where big brakes and tight suspension are necessary.
John Francis Donaghy
AggieChemist said:

That's all well and good. But what about real truck stuff? Like peeling out from red light in the far left lane so you can cut all the way to right lane in front of everyone before slamming the brakes to make your turn, or hitting 100mph by the end of an on ramp to I-10 and cutting all the way to the far left lane to cruise?
Enviroag02
AG
I have a 19 RST 5.3 with a 6" lift and 35" tires. It's more than enough power. I wouldn't have any hesitation buying the 5.3 at all.

Now watch out for the rear window leak though. When you go look at trucks make sure you look at the headliner above the rear window for water stains.
AgCPA95
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

AggieChemist said:

That's all well and good. But what about real truck stuff? Like peeling out from red light in the far left lane so you can cut all the way to right lane in front of everyone before slamming the brakes to make your turn, or hitting 100mph by the end of an on ramp to I-10 and cutting all the way to the far left lane to cruise?
Are you following me to work?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I think you can equip an AT4 with much more Lux than the Trailboss, right?

Trailboss is Custom and LT from my understanding.
AustinCountyAg
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I think you can equip an AT4 with much more Lux than the Trailboss, right?

Trailboss is Custom and LT from my understanding.
yes, at4 essentially a denali
BlueSmoke
Bwp1140 said:

If I want to keep the truck 10 years do y'all think 5.3 or 6.2? How much better is 6.2?
"Going with Chevy is actually a good idea....."
ttha_aggie_09
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

AggieChemist said:

this is hilarious!!!
07fta07
AG
I have a '19 AT4 with the 6.2. Love the truck. The only issues I've had with it was the rear window leak (It was small and they resealed it and it's been good since) and then the leaf spring inserts had to be replaced. Lots of power and a very good ride and surprisingly decent fuel economy.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.