Trail Boss or AT4

15,908 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by NTXAggie14
TravelAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

I vote AT4 with a 3.0 diesel.

I have a 2020 Chevy Z71 with the 3.0. Best tank hand calculated was 27.8mpg. Lifetime avg is 25.5mpg. I have an app to calculate all of this data. Absolutely love the 10 speed with the 3.0....but next time will buy an AT4 with the 3.0

What app are you using to track MPG data?
ILikeTacos
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

ILikeTacos said:

aggieforester05 said:

My old man runs regular in his 6.2L and I run premium in mine, but his seems fine. Premium is worth it to me for the full power and efficiency of the 6.2L, but everyone's priorities are different.

Honest question, since when can engines determine octane content to achieve "full power" out of a change in gasoline? Are you stating that the engine can read that you have put premium in the motor and can adjust timing based on that?

Octane = knock or detonation resistance. There are multiple, 3 I think, versions of the 6.2, all with different compression ratios. The higher the compression ratio the more likely you'll get detonation. Knock sensors will adjust timing to eliminate detonation caused by low octane fuel and thus put out less power.

I need to admit something, I was an ass, it wasn't really an honest question, I just wanted you guys to better explain your points for the "non-premium truthers" in the thread.

Like I stated it can't actually detect octane rating. It can detect knock and ****** timing, which at that point in time the "damage" is already done and "full power" was already delivered.

I just wanted to clarify for the posters in this thread that a vehicle cannot detect octane like it could detect ethanol content with an alcohol sensor, and is why they most likely won't ever feel a difference in the performance of their vehicle when filling up with 87, but will prematurely wear their motor. The knowledgeable all agree, if it asks for premium, put it in.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

GentrysMillTX10 said:

I vote AT4 with a 3.0 diesel.

I have a 2020 Chevy Z71 with the 3.0. Best tank hand calculated was 27.8mpg. Lifetime avg is 25.5mpg. I have an app to calculate all of this data. Absolutely love the 10 speed with the 3.0....but next time will buy an AT4 with the 3.0

What app are you using to track MPG data?

AgsMnn
AG
bigjordo said:

I have the 3.0 and love it. The 30mpg on the highway is ridiculous. And I found the 5.3 really underpowered

Change in circumstances mean I'm looking to potentially sell it though. Let me know if you're interested in a black 2021 with extremely low miles

Is it a standard or short box?
bigjordo
AG
Short
El Chupacabra
How disappointed would I be going from a gutless 5.3 2018 LTZ w/8spd to a gutless 5.3 2021 Trail Boss Custom w/6spd?
El Chupacabra
Rendered Fat said:

El Chupacabra said:

How disappointed would I be going from a gutless 5.3 2018 LTZ w/8spd to a gutless 5.3 2021 Trail Boss Custom w/6spd?

I have had the 5.3 in several Chevys over the years and I currently have an AT4 with the 3.0 diesel. There's not a noticeable difference in either truck. The 3.0 actually feels a little sluggish to me but when I pointed that out in a different thread I got yelled at :-(
Just worried about the 6spd transmission...5.3 is fine for me.
Silvy
AG
I'd get the deepest axle ratio you can.
El Chupacabra
someone more knowledgeable about the Trail Boss and packages available...

The 'Custom' is very basic, right?

It looks like the Custom TB w/6.2L has a few more bells and whistles, is that correct?

I currently have an 18 LTZ, I don't use all the bells and whistles...the heated steering wheel is nice when I remember to turn it on, the wireless charger isn't compatible with my current phone (nor my wife's), the parking sensors are my biggest help...that being said, a few modern conveniences would be nice. I had a vinyl floor, vinyl seats, crank window truck when I was 18...not sure I want to go back that far.
John Francis Donaghy
Ha, I wish I could still find a truck with vinyl floors. Carpet in a truck is stupid. It's just a pain to keep clean. And what's the point if you have to keep it all up covered with plastic mats anyway? May as well just have the plastic floors and be done with it.

But that assumes a truck is used for truck things, and not just an oversized commuter car.
Bwp1140
AG
What floor mats has everyone gotten for their at4/trail boss? Or have you kept the ones that come with the truck?
14TheRoad
AG
I kept the ones that came with it, they are rubber liners with snap in/out carpet panels. Kind of a weird design and I Didn't really care for them at first and thought I'd replace them but turns out they work fine and I don't really care enough to spend money on replacing floor mats. I've got them pretty muddy already and cleaning them wasn't too bad, snapped out the carpet. Washed the carpet and rubber tubs separately and let dry in the sun. No real issue.

I'm also in the 3.0 fanboy club. Really like that engine, especially since I'm getting hand calculated mixed driving mileage in the 24.8-25.2 mpg range consistently.
Bwp1140
AG
Im picking up the 3.0 on Saturday!
Post removed:
by user
Bwp1140
AG
I got 3,200 off sticker plus the rebate so about 7,500 off the sticker
Post removed:
by user
Bwp1140
AG
I got the deal about a month ago but they could have easily changed because of demand, but luckily they kept their word. The new agreements they have are going at MSRP or higher
14TheRoad
AG
Bwp1140 said:

I got 3,200 off sticker plus the rebate so about 7,500 off the sticker

That seems like a pretty good deal in these times.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Not too bad. I got 9,300 off with supplier discount honored last month up in Denton.

Edit 1: This was on an AT4.
El Chupacabra
New 2021 TrailBoss owner checking in

5.3 w/10 spd, LT package, and short box

My groceries will now be retrieved with a slightly taller truck than my previous truck.

Black inside, outside, and rim side....same as my other truck.
TikkaShooter
Bump

How are folks liking the 3.0 trail boss?
NTXAggie14
AG
Picked this up before the new year. It has the 5.3 with the 10spd. Best pickup I have owned thus far.
TikkaShooter
Thanks. Trail boss LT? Happy with that trim line?

I remain undecided on the black piece center of hood. But love the rest of the truck
NTXAggie14
AG
Thanks, this one is the Custom Trail Boss. Wasn't looking for a truck with all the features in it. Plus the wife didn't like the look of the LT version. We love it so far, has under 500 miles on it since we got it Dec. 30th.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.