3.5 Boost Clankety Clank on Startup Round 2

32,417 Views | 185 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cochrum
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jrrhouston98 said:

I picked my truck up from the same dealer as Drummer on Friday and my ticket showed $3400. I was only liable for my deductible on my warranty, however.

Like Drummer stated previously, my truck is silent on start up. It's quite nice.

Glad the warranty covered it
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TMfrisco said:

I guess I've been blessed with 2 unicorns. '13 with 190K - never a problem. '19 with 100K - no problems.

I'm knocking on wood right now!

All of mine have been rattle free except for the ecoboost flex I bought used. The last 3.5L was my 14 with 178K. Just maintenance and the vacuum pump started seeping oil at 130K, but that truck was lots of highway miles.

Main thing is to use a good synthetic oil, don't go over 5000,
And do not lug the engine, the theory for more frequent failure oil pressure doesn't get enough to properly lubricate the vct solenoid. So folks that drive the kids to school, rush hour traffic etc seem to suffer more. Of course there are people that do this and have failure anyway. The updated part fixes this once and for all, so I'm hoping this starts to trickle down.

I've been running the 2.7L in my F150s and they are excellent engines, I have had zero issues and they eat up the highway. Averaging 4000-5000 miles a month, so the 2.7 for the long trips and the Lightning for in city/ short out of town trips.
TMfrisco
AG
I guess my highway miles are what saves me. My truck goes to the dealer for their semi-synthetic oil change and only when my Oil-life monitor tells me to - every 8 - 9000 miles.

New parts - are you talking about a different cam phaser or a different solenoid?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TMfrisco said:

I guess my highway miles are what saves me. My truck goes to the dealer for their semi-synthetic oil change and only when my Oil-life monitor tells me to - every 8 - 9000 miles.

New parts - are you talking about a different cam phaser or a different solenoid?

It's an updated phaser. They'll start with ML3Z.
Sea Speed
AG
When did they come out? I'm going to be so mad if my repair done late last year doesn't have them.
jrrhouston98
AG
My understanding is it was a new upgraded part for the 21s. I am not sure when they started using them for the repairs, but your paperwork should have the part number on it and that will tell you if you got the new part. But I was told that dealers have been instructed for a while to use the new part number and get rid of the old.

When was yours done? If in the last 4-5 months you should be ok.
Sea Speed
AG
I think it was like last October or something like that. I will look at the documents when I get home.
jrrhouston98
AG
I think Drummer listed the new part number above in one of his recent posts.
Sea Speed
AG
Roger that
livinthedream
AG
Is there a way to look up deletions from VIN specific service and recall history? Here is my saga...

2019 Ford Expedition w/ 60,055 miles
- In 2021 I received the cam phaser recall notice. Took it to AutoNation in Katy but was told that F150's were the priority at the time due to truck v. SUV volume and supply chain shortages. I was told they would be in contact when it was my turn. No issues beyond the annoying rattle during start up.
- Followed up with a few phone calls to the dealership over the next year and a half but then noticed that around the end of 2022 the recall notice on the Ford app was no longer listed.
- January 13th, 2023 was driving to Dallas when all of a sudden my check engine light came on and oil pressure went to zero. Limped in from Wilmer and took the vehicle to Planet Ford in Dallas. Code ran and was told the oil pressure sensor needed replaced but would be 7-10 days to get done. Picked up the part and changed it in the hotel parking lot with assistance from a mobile mechanic much to the chagrin of the Anatole security staff.
- Made it back to Houston on Jan 16th. Vehicle worked without issue for about a week to a week and a half then, same issue.
- Took it back in to AutoNation Katy where I was told that I needed new cam phasers to the tune of $2152.00 but they would advocate with Ford since I am only 55 miles over warranty.
- I asked about the recall which neither the service advisor or Ford corporate agent could find. I found NHTSA 10209366 recall within 30 seconds of Googling. My VIN matches those manufactured at the KY Truck Plant. That recall specifically states that it covered 100% of repairs up to 69,999 miles.
- With that info provided to AutoNation and Ford, they offered a "Good Will Adjustment" of 45% but that is the best they can do as a "Loyal Ford Customer" since I do not have a copy of the recall notice.
- They show no service history of my vehicle ever being at Planet Ford in Dallas when it was still 1-2K miles under PT warranty.
- The Ford app shows no previous visits to AutoNation specifically for the recall that I took it in for on 7/24/2021. It only says 30K mile service and "unknown" in the dealer service notes. The message center no longer shows the recall notice.
-The vehicle has been sitting on their lot since February 14th but the offer expires at the end of this month.

It seems the recall may have expired on the first of this year but Ford is stating that they would fix it at their cost if I can provide a copy of the recall I received. They NHTSA recall notice is apparently not sufficient. I am no conspiracy theorist but it doesn't seem to be a coincidence that, a) My previous visit for the recall only says "Unknown", b) the recall notice itself has been removed from the system and c) there is no entry of ever visiting a dealership on the 13th (that would have been under warranty at the time) for the exact issue I am dealing with now.

Any recourse or am I stuck with footing part of the bill one way or another?
cochrum
AG
Dang, my ecoboost has been making that noise for years. Its a 2014 with 175K miles. No other major issues so far. I cant afford another truck with these crazy prices so Im keeping it until the engine blows lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.