What POS did you drive in college?

7,071 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by hatchback
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Duncan Idaho said:

Complete Idiot said:

c/o 1994, stayed until 1995

Lived in Law Hall for first two years, first 1.75 years I had a 60" white Peugot 12 speed that allowed me to wake up at 7:55 for an 8 AM class and zip to Zachary on time

Jesus how ****ing tall are you? A 5ft tall frame!

I was what you'd call an eccentric back then.

You caught a huge brain fart, not editing so that username continues to check out.
brownbrick
AG
CO 06

1990 Toyota Camry. Power windows and locks baby, plus a bad distributor that had me running on 2 cylinders for a couple weeks in there. AC quit by junior year, thing kept on trucking other than that. Bought it for $750 and donated it 6 years later after grad school for an $800 tax deduction.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Jack Cheese said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

1980 Oldsmobile Omega Brougham

What a POS

What does "brougham" signify? A buddy of mine drove a Bonneville Brougham POS back in the 80s that we called "the bro-ham".

GM's version of "Limited."
Goose
AG

Didn't have a car my first two years, '88 and '89. But in '90 or '91 I inherited, from my older sister, our deceased grandmother's '76 Plymouth Volare. It hadn't ever been wrecked, and the interior was in near perfect condition other than the lingering odor of my grandmother's pack-a-day+ Merit habit. Those were the only two non-negative qualities to the car. The white paint had long lost its luster and looked more like the entire vehicle had been painted with a roller and a couple gallons of matte white Sherwin Williams. The half vinyl top was of course peeling away. The 100hp 225ci slant 6 was usually pretty dependable, but was no match for the car's 4,400 lb curb weight. And there was a short in the horn circuit somewhere, so periodically it would just sound the horn for however long it so desired - sometimes you'd come out of the grocery store and it would be blaring for who knows how long - sometimes you'd be sitting in traffic and it would start going...all I could do was smile and wave while everyone around would give me the stink eye for laying on the horn incessantly for no reason. It was genuinely an unpleasant car experience all the way around.
coolerguy12
AG

Got around two years on this, then on a tandem bike.
Old Sarge
AG
Goose said:

Didn't have a car my first two years, '88 and '89. But in '90 or '91 I inherited, from my older sister, our deceased grandmother's '76 Plymouth Volare. It hadn't ever been wrecked, and the interior was in near perfect condition other than the lingering odor of my grandmother's pack-a-day+ Merit habit. Those were the only two non-negative qualities to the car. The white paint had long lost its luster and looked more like the entire vehicle had been painted with a roller and a couple gallons of matte white Sherwin Williams. The half vinyl top was of course peeling away. The 100hp 225ci slant 6 was usually pretty dependable, but was no match for the car's 4,400 lb curb weight. And there was a short in the horn circuit somewhere, so periodically it would just sound the horn for however long it so desired - sometimes you'd come out of the grocery store and it would be blaring for who knows how long - sometimes you'd be sitting in traffic and it would start going...all I could do was smile and wave while everyone around would give me the stink eye for laying on the horn incessantly for no reason. It was genuinely an unpleasant car experience all the way around.
Your grandmother should have bought the Corrrrrdoba (Ricardo's pronunciation) You could have ridden around on "Rich Corinthian Leather" while your horn caught all the chicks attention. Instant harem.
88Warrior
1977 Chevy Luv...
zooguy96
C/O '96

First year at Blinndergarten, an '81 Datsun 200SX with no muffler and a hole in the floorboard. Loved getting exhaust fumes and having to keep the windows opened. No AC - alternator went out, so I charged another battery and connected it to the battery in the car via jumper cables out the window to get home at night.

A Walmart 10 speed bike from down Wellborn road to campus and back and also to work (Wally World in S College Station). 20 miles a day. It sucked. But, I could run all day playing FB with friends on campus.

Later, bought a scooter with my remaining loan money that died after 3 weeks. Bad investment. Had to go back to the bike.

Bought my sister's '89 Toyota Truck from her that my dad had owned. Bent in tailgate, great AC. Eventually died from a head gasket, but it had emigrated back to my dad.

Finally, '92 Eclipse Turbo my last semester at A&M. Totaled it a year later leaving work. Sucked - I loved that car.

I never lived on campus.

I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
GrapevineAg
AG
1980 Mercury Capri with the 2.3L I4. It was slow, but at least it got bad gas mileage. Looked very similar to this one (maroon with orange stripes):

Punked Shank
AG
Class of '12.

Drove around in a 96 Camry with a primer hood and passenger door that didnt work with no AC.
Betoisafurry
C/O '11.

A hand me down '92 cutlass for a few years and then a '91 2-tone suburban. Can't complain I didn't pay a cent for em.
The Kraken
AG
'90. Didn't have a vehicle for my first 4 years (this seems to have been more common back in the day). Had the use of K Car (Dodge Aries) for my 5th year and I was living off campus. It sucked but I was happy to have any car.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
'95 s 10 4 banger standard
Side mirrors and rear view mirrors rotated as the fell off and I found replacements, ac worked 1 out of the 4 years. Never broke down though.
Flaith
AG
Class of '07

Hand me down '99 Jeep GC Laredo 4x4

Junior year upgraded to an '03 Mini Cooper S
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Flaith said:

Class of '07

Think I would have rather had the Laredo and bro it out
TulsAg
AG
'77 Olds Starfire
MouthBQ98
AG
As middle class parents have become more prosperous and relatively wealthy, it looks like the students have been equipped with relatively newer, better cars. The kids on campus today drive nicer cars than mine. If the parents have the money, why not take one worry away by providing a nicer more reliable ride, I guess? Also, used or older cars these days are just better quality than they would have been 20 or 30 years back.

Still, I think lots of them are missing out on the experience of nursing along a POS.
sodycracker
AG
A 1983 Nissan Sentra station wagon. What a peach.
ac04
95 jeep wrangler. pathetic 4 cylinder engine, no AC, no antilock brakes, no air bags. lots of suspension/tires/speakers. i loved it.
Flaith
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Flaith said:

Class of '07

Think I would have rather had the Laredo and bro it out
In hindsight, that sounds awesome. I now have a 2-door XJ that I am injecting with broserum

However, after driving that and a '88 Trooper before that in highschool, I was itching for a fun little car. It was between the Cooper S or an EP3 Civic Si.
dubi
AG
Class of '86

1977 Pacer with 3 on the tree!

Jack Cheese
AG
dubi said:

Class of '86

1977 Pacer with 3 on the tree!

So ugly it's beautiful.
GrapevineAg
AG
Passenger's door is longer than the driver's door, right? Weird cars, but I have a friend who has restored 1 or 2 of them.
rheolag1
CO / 70
1958 Ford Fairlane 352 interceptor 3 on column , no AC . Many generators replaced and always ran hot . 13mpg but gas was <0.32 cents per gallon .Purchase price $350.00 . I drove it ~ 100,000 miles sold it for $300.00.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
For a while, I had a very, very, very used 1963 Ford F100 Shortbed Flareside P/U, like this (much nicer) one:

It had a 262 cu in straight 6 and an oil-bath air cleaner, plus a "Back Bellard's Bunch" bumper sticker on the rear window.

It didn't last too long 'cause it was already beat to hell by the time I got it.

But, I'll tell you what. That thing had the best-sounding AM-only radio I've ever heard in my life. It was a vacuum-tube type unit (not solid-state) and it took a few minutes to warm up every time I turned it on.

I've never matched that AM radio sound in any vehicle I've had since. Crazy.
AggieChemist
AG
78 cutlass salon. My girlfriend/wife called it the "great pumpkin"

Win At Life
AG
1984-1989
1st year: no car at all. Brother dropped my off at Hart Hall with a few trash bags full of my stuff. Wallked to Sabisa, Cow Hop and Skags when needed.

2rd & 4th years (Co-Oped my 3rd year):
Fixed and drove my deceased grandmothers 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 88.

5th year: Dad took pity on me and gave me $3200 to buy a 74 Corvette and fix it up.
Trinity Ag
S
1981 Volkswagen Scirocco with a salvage title, bad transmission, no A/C, and dodgy wiring.

Then a 1984 Saab 900 Turbo Sedan.

Also with non-functional A/C. Only had 40k on it when I got it in 1988, but that was the point where a significant number of component began to crap out....

Pepper Brooks
AG
2000 Pontiac GTP

Loved it until the repairs became > the hassle around 95k miles. Borla + Hi flo cat sounded sweet.
ElephantRider
AG
'13

Drove an '06 Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 Crew. Not a POS and I wish I hadn't traded it in. But like a dumb kid, I traded it in on a new '14 Silverado when I started making money. That truck was a POS. I'd take that '06 back in a heartbeat.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
35 Dodge (in 1949 ) 50,000 miles family car ( GPaw bought it new in 1935 for $ 750 ).

No heat, no a/c ( except when the windows were open), no trunk . Battery was under the front seat

( straw insulation) - caught fire once - used coke cases for seat ( couldn't get a replacement ) .

Neighbor's little girl painted the headlights green .

Hauled 6 guys to and back from Austin many times - no problems although after one trip went

out the next day 2 tires flat ( Probably original tires ). Survived a flood about 3 feet high on engine

in San Antonio at summer camp . At 75,000 miles traded it in - $ 77 value .

Best car ever owned !

BigJim49AustinnowDallas
woodyhayes
72 Pinto. Married in 82 and we bought a new AMC Eagle.
Martin Cash
AG
'68 Mustang
GCRanger
AG
Class of 99 rollin' in a '78 Volvo wagon.

I also had a '65 Mustang that in drove when it worked. That single barrel carb and straight 6 was finicky.
CDUB98
AG
Except in red. Same wheels too. '83 Celica GT

It wasn't pretty or fast, but that thing hauled me all over and never left me stranded. 22R-E engine.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.