What POS did you drive in college?

6,979 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by hatchback
JSKolache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Freshman year i drove rollerblades and a mountain bike. Then an 84 buick til i grenaded the timing, then 77 honda motorcycle and a 94 taurus.
TxSquarebody
82 short bed GMC...not a POS though!
Dill-Ag13
AG
I was spoiled. C/o '13 drove my dads old 5.4l F150
theGoodAg94
AG
C/O '17

1999 Ford Explorer Sport, 4.0L V6 that ran great but looked like a POS.
Driver door was the only door that worked, busted and dented in lift gate and back glass latch was broken so the glass flew open at every dip. Dented in front bumper.
Parents bought it for me and sisters in HS for $750. My dad still says it's one of his highest ROR investments because it was only supposed to survive 2 years...ended up driving it for 6 with nothing more than routine maintenance. The body damage from sister wrecking front and rear wasn't worth the fix as it was all cosmetic.
AggieDruggist89
AG
1980 Oldsmobile Omega Brougham

What a POS

Jack Cheese
AG
84 S-10 Blazer, 4WD with standard transmission. Was really sweet at the time, but also kind of a POS because it had 100k+ miles which was beyond the useful life of a chevy in those days.
AgTech88
AG
1982 Ford EXP

Massive POS but that thing took me all over the country. Took a year off school and lived in Crested Butte CO - slapped a pair of studded snow tires on the front and it would go through anything. Was great until it threw the timing belt half way between CS and Lubbock - interference engine so it was done.....
OCEN99
AG
The mighty, mighty 1989 Nissan Stanza:

Wasn't really a POS until I rear-ended someone on a rainy day and had to live without a/c from then on.
IslandAg76
AG
1961 Chevy station wagon.
Traded a washing machine for it.
"Suppose you were an idiot.
And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself." Mark Twain
EMY92
AG
c/o '92

1982 Audi 4000S Diesel

52 HP engine, mopeds would pull up at the light and new they could take me.

The fly wheel lost some teeth, so the starter wouldn't always engage.

With the headlights on, the other lights would blink like a Christmas tree if you hit the turn signal or brakes. Anyone watching wouldn't know what was going to happen, but would know that something was about to happen.

The only good thing about it was the awesome fuel efficiency. I would get almost 50 MPG in a 4 door sedan.

Something like that would be terrifying to drive today with the highway speed limits of 75 MPH. That car would take a few minutes to get to that, then wouldn't be able to hold it going up an incline.

HollywoodBQ remembers it. He will also know Bosque Blvd, I couldn't top the hill at more than 20 MPH regardless of the speed I achieved before starting the climb.
LOYAL AG
AG
'95

1991 Mazda B2200. I was coming from the Army and my parents had given me mom's 1985 Buick Skylark when I was in the service. It had a problem where the alternator was too close to the block and out overheat and fail. Dad bought the first replacement alternator from Sears and after three warranty replacements in three years Sears said they would no longer honor the warranty and would refund my money instead the next time one failed. I got out about a month after #3 and dad and I agreed it was best to get rid of the car before it failed so we traded it in on the Mazda truck. It was actually pretty stinkin' nice for a $12,000 truck.
WheelinAg
AG
1987 GMC Safari and a 1989 Ford Tempo
Jack Cheese
AG
WheelinAg said:

1987 GMC Safari and a 1989 Ford Tempo

You had 2 in your fleet during college? Pimpin'!

Also, username checks out.
Aston 91
AG
'79 Trans Am. Gold with the 6.6 Liter (unfortunately the 403 and not the 400). Dad paid $1800, drove it for several years, put a $200 Earl Scheib paint job on it and sold it for $1600. Now it's probably worth 10 times that much.
The Fife
Fish and soph year: various bikes cobbled together from combining abandoned bikes on campus into something that worked
Junior year: This sat for at least 10 years and had tires that were about 20 years old. Got on ford-trucks.com and made it run reliably a few days before the fall semester started. I still have the truck BTW. (1970 F-100)

Senior year onward: bought a new Celica. Still have it, the car still looks like new. This picture is from a couple months ago. (2000 Celica GT-S)

cledus6150
AG
'10

Not a POS but drove a Maroon 2000 F-250 lariet FX4, it was my dads truck and his gift to me for getting into A&M. He thought I needed a more reliable vehicle than the '01 lightning I was driving. Drive that F-250 from May of 2006 until July of 2014 putting a little over 300k miles on it. That was a damn reliable vehicle and I wished I had never sold it!
Jack Cheese
AG
Aston 91 said:

'79 Trans Am. Gold with the 6.6 Liter (unfortunately the 403 and not the 400). Dad paid $1800, drove it for several years, put a $200 Earl Scheib paint job on it and sold it for $1600. Now it's probably worth 10 times that much.

I take it from your username that you were living in Aston hall in the late 80s, driving this panty-dropper. Wow, just awesome.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
'00

Drove a new 96 F250 Supercab Powerstroke, then Jr. year a 99 F150 4x4 Single cab, Senior year, 95 Explorer V8 AWD, and Victory lap, 01 Z71 and an 88 Ford Crown Vic.....
sts7049
AG
i had a 1985 s10 for the first few years. then i upgraded to a 96 camry.

senior year i also had a 70s puch maxi moped that i rode to/from campus.
Silvy
AG
'14

Freshman: racetrok (pre-LS)
Sophomore & Junior: racetrok & '01 Camry. Camry was the whip during the LS swap and other times truck was inoperable.
Senior: Fall semester was the '84 S10 and spring semester was mostly racetrok.

Post grad (bonus round): Not long after graduation, racetrok's 2nd transmission blew and I pimped DA PUBLICAN to job interviews around Houston and then commuted to Houston from Galveston for about 3 months in it. There towards the end, I'd hold it at WOT all the way down 225 to keep up with traffic.
Complete Idiot
c/o 1994, stayed until 1995

Lived in Law Hall for first two years, first 1.75 years I had a 60" white Peugot 12 speed that allowed me to wake up at 7:55 for an 8 AM class and zip to Zachary on time

When at parents house in North Carolina during spring break of Sophomore year I found a 1974 Jeep CJ-5 renegade, 304 V8 and 3 speed manual transmission, for sale. Floor boards rusted through in front but bought it one day and the next day I jumped in it, no baselining (no idea what that was at the time) or mechanical checkout at all, and drove it the 1250 miles back to College Station. Oil pressure gauge went out and showed zero pressure maybe a 100 miles in, I shrugged and kept driving. Made it to CS but less than 2 weeks after that, when trying to show off and take off fast from a light, I blew a U-Joint. Not sure how it made that whole drive to Texas, I got lucky. Kept that thing until I graduated, fun college vehicle for sure.
tmas
AG
OCEN99 said:

The mighty, mighty 1989 Nissan Stanza:

Wasn't really a POS until I rear-ended someone on a rainy day and had to live without a/c from then on.
I had the same car in high school through sophomore year.

Other cars while at A&M:
1992 Honda Accord - 2 door
1996 Nissan Maxima
1982 Yamaha Virgo 750
AgEng06
AG
'02 Silverado, single cab, short bed, 2wd
'08 Sierra, Ext cab, short bed, Z71

Both were new when I bought them though, so not POS's.
Duncan Idaho
Complete Idiot said:

c/o 1994, stayed until 1995

Lived in Law Hall for first two years, first 1.75 years I had a 60" white Peugot 12 speed that allowed me to wake up at 7:55 for an 8 AM class and zip to Zachary on time

Jesus how ****ing tall are you? A 5ft tall frame!
MouthBQ98
AG
'83 S10 blazer 4x4 auto, with the mighty 125hp 2.8 v6. It was actually pretty reliable and reasonably useful off-road. It was a rust bucket however and I had to do quite a bit of body work on it. My first experience with Bondo.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Co 2000

1992 s-10 with the mighty 2.8L

*eta this is not mine, just a google image search. Mine was white with chrome American Racing rims. Yeah boy!
Jack Cheese
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

What a POS

What does "brougham" signify? A buddy of mine drove a Bonneville Brougham POS back in the 80s that we called "the bro-ham".
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Jack Cheese said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

What a POS

What does "brougham" signify? A buddy of mine drove a Bonneville Brougham POS back in the 80s that we called "the bro-ham".
In the early 1900s it was a car with an open drivers area when people were driven around.

Later, in the 70s and onward, it was an upper trim level used by the big 3.
aTm2004
AG
1991 Pontiac Grand am. Yep. Cruised around College Station in a chick car.
Bought a 2002 GSX-R600 after my sophomore year and that was my primary MOT for the rest of college.
Dad bought me a 1994 Vette in '03 to replace the Grand Am he was giving to my cousin for her 16th. Still have that car.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aTm2004 said:

Bought a 2002 GSX-R600 after my sophomore year and that was my primary MOT for the rest of college.
Dad bought me a 1994 Vette in '03 to replace the Grand Am he was giving to my cousin for her 16th. Still have that car.
Pontiac really had some nice commercials back then....

txags92
AG
1978 Chevy Camaro for 2 years

Then a 1986 GMC truck for the last 3.
An Ag in CO
AG
The first year I had a smaller Yamaha and then I bought this off someone who graduated.

[url=?1516660857000][/url]
aTm2004
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

aTm2004 said:

Pontiac really had some nice commercials back then....

That was my exact car (red coupe) minus the red wheels. Have to admit, it was reliable as hell.
'03ag
something just like this. A/C but no power steering.

Aggietaco
AG
'88 Jeep Wagoneer (XJ) - became unreliable for my cross country trips home, parted out and donated
'98 Toyota Tacoma
'82 Yamaha Virago XV920J
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.