Getting a new truck today

7,953 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Drip99
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
saltydog13 said:

I was thinking about that the other day in my truck. Wish they would have kept the sliding rear bench seat

When did they kill the sliding rear seat? My 2012 has them and I always stash my work laptop behind the seat cause I live in Houston.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
coolerguy12
AG
I'll be honest I like the seats that lift for storage better. The sliding/reclining seats are great for passengers but what does it do for me? I would rather have the option for more floor storage in the rear.

To the OP, great looking truck. You won't regret it.
saltydog13
AG
Did the sliding seats not lift up at all? I'd rather have storage behind the seat than the 3" of space under the seat that is essentially no storage.

Any mods planned for the truck op?
Post removed:
by user
78669AG
Rendered Fat said:

Don't mean to be nosy, but all I've ever had is Fords and Chevys. What does something like that cost? More than a Lariat?

It was on par with the 18 lariats i was looking at. The 19 lariats would have been 55k-60k out the door. Truck has a lot of cool features like lane departure sensors Cruise control distance radar. Its loaded outside of the leather and vented seats
If you can't handle the stress, log off until August. If you can handle the stress, be supportive and donate to United. No more buildings and concrete. Gotta channel funds to the collective for now.
dbtexasag05
Look man...the Tundra is the Camry of trucks. The bells and whistles are minimum.

I own a 16 Tundra and a 17 Land Cruiser and both are miles behind other comparable vehicles in the electronics and amenities.

But that Tundra will pull and I feel safe. The land cruiser is a tank and just felt solid. In my opinion if you are going to buy a Toyota you are buying the reliability (knock on wood). You have to be prepare to NOT be blown away by the electronics or doodads other manufacturers throw at you.

My wife summed it up best in my opinion. The tundra was the old mans truck and the others were for bachelors. Unfortunately I was no longer a bachelor
Owlagdad
If I go Tundra instead of 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy gas models, which package is best for towing (I figure mpg will be about same)? Is there a max towing option on Tundra so I would not buy without and have low towing? If Tundra has the built in electric brakes in dash, is that sign it has good tow package? It is confusing when it does not spell it out while shopping on internet. Thanks
DeWrecking Crew
Are we talking new? For new, if it's got a 5.7 engine it has the tow packager. I'm not sure if that has always been the case. They only have one towing package, if you're looking for a truck that tows heavy stuff a lot, I'm not sure Tundra would make my list
Owlagdad
DeWrecking Crew said:

Are we talking new? For new, if it's got a 5.7 engine it has the tow packager. I'm not sure if that has always been the case. They only have one towing package, if you're looking for a truck that tows heavy stuff a lot, I'm not sure Tundra would make my list

Probably a 7000 lb number pull travel trailer, mostly flat land towing , maybe up around Hot Springs occasionly- if I go to big mountains, will get a hotel. Guess the more info I get the more confusion- do not like all the bells and whistles- a truck is a truck, just want something I do not have trouble with- my mechanic says my 03 Silverado HD is better than anything out there, but wife wants something newer as we retire and go more places.
78669AG
Owlagdad said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

Probably a 7000 lb number pull travel trailer, mostly flat land towing , maybe up around Hot Springs occasionly- if I go to big mountains, will get a hotel. Guess the more info I get the more confusion- do not like all the bells and whistles- a truck is a truck, just want something I do not have trouble with- my mechanic says my 03 Silverado HD is better than anything out there, but wife wants something newer as we retire and go more places.

Tundras pull well over 7000 lbs with the big v8
If you can't handle the stress, log off until August. If you can handle the stress, be supportive and donate to United. No more buildings and concrete. Gotta channel funds to the collective for now.
dbtexasag05
I have the 5.7 crew max.

I pull a 27foot 6000 pound dry weight trailer. My MAIN complaint is the pulling and passing power in the mountains. It also had some sway in the rear end with high winds and slowing around turns. I installed the TRD rear sway bar and that went away.

The supercharger is sitting in my online cart just waiting for me to pull the trigger.

I absolutely love the truck. The salesman tried to convince me when I bought that it was like buying a 3/4 ton because of the engine. I call BS. It's a massive engine but the truck sags when you load the rear end and it has a soft ride when pulling that can be fixed with air bags or a tighter leaf spring set up.

There is no doubt there are better work trucks out there. But I make a couple of these trips a year and I want the power.

I have decided that a 3/4 ton diesel would be overdoing it, and I still want to be able to get the truck in the garage. I have thought a lot about it over the last several weeks and i wouldn't do it any different. Love the tundra.
Drip99
AG
78669AG said:

Owlagdad said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

Tundras pull well over 7000 lbs with the big v8

It has the power to pull it but likely not the payload capacity. Tundras have low max paylods. Check the sticker on the door jam before purchasing. If ur getting a tss type with 4x4 that eats into the payload as well. I have a 2018 tss off road 4x4 crewmax and the max Payload is 1175. Add ur tongue weight and passengers and blow by that fast. Get a 3/4 ton it u towing 7k dry trailer is my advice.
Kurt Gowdy
AG
Quote:

Truck has a lot of cool features like lane departure sensors Cruise control distance radar.
You'll be turning both of these "features" off by the 500th mile.
PFG
AG
After reading this thread, im trying to figure out why Tundra owners buy Tundras.

Compared to a similarly equipped 3/4 ton gas truck, the Tundra:

1) Gets fewer MPG
2) Tows less
3) Less payload

So why buy a tundra?

It can't be all for dependability. The Chevy 6.0 and the Ford 6.2 (the gas engines in each brands HD 3/4 ton trucks) have a long history of longevity.

Is this just for looks?
Drip99
AG
LiveOak said:

After reading this thread, im trying to figure out why Tundra owners buy Tundras.

Compared to a similarly equipped 3/4 ton gas truck, the Tundra:

1) Gets fewer MPG
2) Tows less
3) Less payload

So why buy a tundra?

It can't be all for dependability. The Chevy 6.0 and the Ford 6.2 (the gas engines in each brands HD 3/4 ton trucks) have a long history of longevity.

Is this just for looks?

I had a 2015 f150. It was in the shop 8-10 times in the first 35k and none of it had to do with the powertrain. It was a poorly built vehicle and I wasn't about to trade it in for a 250 gasser. I now own a tundra that's been in my driveway every morning when I wake up for a whole year which is wonderful! Toyota has a reputation for building quality products. They don't add every bell and whistle yearly to keep up with the arms race. They build a functional product that works. It's not for everybody but I'm happy with my decision.
AG
The last two trucks I've had have been an f150 and a Silverado 1500 (still have) and they have both been very reliable and had minimal issues. People on this site just love Japanese makes (especially Toyota) and really love to bash GM products because their daddy's '93 Chevy was a POS. Reliability is about the same for all makes these days, get what you like not the brand that you have been told is the best.
saltydog13
AG
You must not visit this board much. Yes tundras/Toyota's are recommended, but otherwise it's a Ford love fest. Oh and reliability is definitely not the same across the board
Drip99
AG
Ugh no 1939 u must be stuck in 1939 still. There is no way reliability is the same acroas the board.
Mr. Dubi
78669AG said:

Bringing it home

Nice. I think they forgot to paint it though...
bco2003
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

78669AG said:

Bringing it home

Nice. I think they forgot to paint it though...
Shiniest primer I've ever seen!
coolerguy12
AG
JesusQuintana said:

Ugh no 1939 u must be stuck in 1939 still. There is no way reliability is the same acroas the board.

Just ask Chevy, they will tell you all about how they are better than Honda and Toyota.
dubi
AG
Great choice!
dubi
AG
Quote:

I now own a tundra that's been in my driveway every morning when I wake up for a whole year which is wonderful!

Ours Tundra has been in the driveway every morning for 15 years!
reproag
AG
drumboy said:

saltydog13 said:

I was thinking about that the other day in my truck. Wish they would have kept the sliding rear bench seat

When did they kill the sliding rear seat? My 2012 has them and I always stash my work laptop behind the seat cause I live in Houston.
2013 was the last year.
reproag
AG
Owlagdad said:

If I go Tundra instead of 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy gas models, which package is best for towing (I figure mpg will be about same)? Is there a max towing option on Tundra so I would not buy without and have low towing? If Tundra has the built in electric brakes in dash, is that sign it has good tow package? It is confusing when it does not spell it out while shopping on internet. Thanks
call me and I'll explain. # in profile
AG
JesusQuintana said:

Maybe not for the luxury small volume European brands but the major mainstream brands are pretty close. Most of the Toyota/Honda lovers on this site haven't owned a domestic is decades yet love to trash them. The domestics have made great strides in quality since the 80's and 90's.
Drip99
AG
1939 said:

JesusQuintana said:

Maybe not for the luxury small volume European brands but the major mainstream brands are pretty close. Most of the Toyota/Honda lovers on this site haven't owned a domestic is decades yet love to trash them. The domestics have made great strides in quality since the 80's and 90's.

Yes, the impala is on par with the Camry, the Durango is up there with the highlander and the Jeep Compass is neck and neck with the 4 runner in terms of reliability.
AG
I would argue that the Impala and Durango is on par with the Camry and Highlander. It may not be as good of a vehicle but reliability of those two is just fine. The compass and 4runner are not in the same class, better example would be a Jeep Wrangler. What makes you think the Impala is such a crappy car?
drumboy
AG
I had a coworker 10 years ago that swore that the only difference in reliability between domestics & Japanese cars was because the Japanese car owners took their cars to the dealer for expensive regular maintenance.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Drip99
AG
1939 said:

I would argue that the Impala and Durango is on par with the Camry and Highlander. It may not be as good of a vehicle but reliability of those two is just fine. The compass and 4runner are not in the same class, better example would be a Jeep Wrangler. What makes you think the Impala is such a crappy car?

2013 and older were listed #2 by us news as cars to avoid. The Durango was 10ish
Drip99
AG
drumboy said:

I had a coworker 10 years ago that swore that the only difference in reliability between domestics & Japanese cars was because the Japanese car owners took their cars to the dealer for expensive regular maintenance.

I take my tundra to the dealer every 5k Miles for free oil change and tire rotation (for first 25k miles).
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
JesusQuintana said:

1939 said:

JesusQuintana said:

Yes, the impala is on par with the Camry, the Durango is up there with the highlander and the Jeep Compass is neck and neck with the 4 runner in terms of reliability.
AG
I'm not talking about a 2004-2013 model. I also never claimed its a better car all around than a Camry.
Reload8098
AG
I'll stick with my 98 F250 4WD extended cab with the full bed and 137,500 miles on my IH turbo dsl. Interior looks brand new.
RCR06
AG
I think sometimes you just get a bad vehicle. I've heard every major brand cussed for one reason or another on this board and in my daily interactions.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.