Getting a new truck today

7,920 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Drip99
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RCR06 said:

I think sometimes you just get a bad vehicle. I've heard every major brand cussed for one reason or another on this board and in my daily interactions.

Agree with this until you get to Dodge. They have more problems than any other brand and it isn't close.
AG
If we are gonna cite website rankings here is one. Lots of domestics on this list.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/02/13/j-d-power-2019-lexus-toyota-porsche-most-reliable-dependable-cars/2846324002/

Bottom line is that the Japanese makes are not leaps and bounds ahead of the American makes like alot of people on this board act like. Pointing out single models or a single car that you or a friend owned that was problematic is not indicative of the entire market.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I owned a 2012 Ford F-150 5.0L V8 - It gave me quite a bit of problems and always felt underpowered. At the end the dealer said it was going to cost me $9,000 to replace the engine. Obviously they recommended I get a new Ford. I told them I would be getting a new truck, just not a Ford.

I now own a 2018 Toyota Tundra - It feels to have much more power, more legroom, and is supposed to be more reliable. Time will tell.

I'm only sharing this information because my 2012 to 2018 Ford F-150 experience was not a good one during the 125,000 miles I drove it. 2/10 would not recommend.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Reliability is about the same for all makes these days

Ahhh, no. Not even close.
Ag In Ok
AG
If only they would stiffen the rear suspension and drop in a diesel. And improve the turning radius.
The Wonderer
AG
78669AG said:

Owlagdad said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

Are we talking new? For new, if it's got a 5.7 engine it has the tow packager. I'm not sure if that has always been the case. They only have one towing package, if you're looking for a truck that tows heavy stuff a lot, I'm not sure Tundra would make my list

Probably a 7000 lb number pull travel trailer, mostly flat land towing , maybe up around Hot Springs occasionly- if I go to big mountains, will get a hotel. Guess the more info I get the more confusion- do not like all the bells and whistles- a truck is a truck, just want something I do not have trouble with- my mechanic says my 03 Silverado HD is better than anything out there, but wife wants something newer as we retire and go more places.

Tundras pull well over 7000 lbs with the big v8
They can pull the space shuttle. What can they tow though?
aggie_fan13
AG
lol fords suck, toyota >. good choice op
aggieforester05
AG
The first gen coyote in the F150 was pretty underwhelming. Garbage intake cams and restrictive log exhaust manifolds. Gen 2 was a big improvement and Gen 3 is an even bigger improvement.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I know folks will think I'm crazy but by 2008 Tacoma pulled my ski boat better than my 2012 F-150.
aggie_fan13
AG
i believe it
bam02
AG
LiveOak said:

After reading this thread, im trying to figure out why Tundra owners buy Tundras.

Compared to a similarly equipped 3/4 ton gas truck, the Tundra:

1) Gets fewer MPG
2) Tows less
3) Less payload

So why buy a tundra?

It can't be all for dependability. The Chevy 6.0 and the Ford 6.2 (the gas engines in each brands HD 3/4 ton trucks) have a long history of longevity.

Is this just for looks?

Because they want a half-ton? You're comparing a Tundra to a Super Duty or Chevy HD. Tundra holds its own in towing among half-tons. One post mentioned a truck salesman who said it towed like a 3/4 ton. Everyone knows you take something a car salesman with a grain of salt.
saltydog13
AG
LiveOak said:

After reading this thread, im trying to figure out why Tundra owners buy Tundras.

Compared to a similarly equipped 3/4 ton gas truck, the Tundra:

1) Gets fewer MPG
2) Tows less
3) Less payload

So why buy a tundra?

It can't be all for dependability. The Chevy 6.0 and the Ford 6.2 (the gas engines in each brands HD 3/4 ton trucks) have a long history of longevity.

Is this just for looks?
After reading this post, I'm trying to figure out why you're comparing a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton?
Mr. Dubi
bam02 said:

LiveOak said:

Because they want a half-ton? You're comparing a Tundra to a Super Duty or Chevy HD. Tundra holds its own in towing among half-tons. One post mentioned a truck salesman who said it towed like a 3/4 ton. Everyone knows you take something a car salesman with a grain of salt.

How can you tell a car salesman is lying?

His lips are moving...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kurt Gowdy said:

Quote:

Truck has a lot of cool features like lane departure sensors Cruise control distance radar.
You'll be turning both of these "features" off by the 500th mile.
Yeah, I've got a 4Runner (had a Tacoma for 14 years previous) and one of the knocks is the same as the tundra - lacking bells and whistles, but I'm a simple man and constantly finding that I prefer the simplicity. Between my wife's Lexus, driving my in-laws vehicles a fair amount for various reasons (BMW's, loaded out Ford F150), some nice rentals I've driven, etc,, I've had the chance to drive some nice cars with some awesome features. But I really do keep finding that I prefer the more simple setup.
Drip99
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Kurt Gowdy said:

Quote:

Truck has a lot of cool features like lane departure sensors Cruise control distance radar.
You'll be turning both of these "features" off by the 500th mile.
Yeah, I've got a 4Runner (had a Tacoma for 14 years previous) and one of the knocks is the same as the tundra - lacking bells and whistles, but I'm a simple man and constantly finding that I prefer the simplicity. Between my wife's Lexus, driving my in-laws vehicles a fair amount for various reasons (BMW's, loaded out Ford F150), some nice rentals I've driven, etc,, I've had the chance to drive some nice cars with some awesome features. But I really do keep finding that I prefer the more simple setup.

I agree. Hear a lot of hype about the big screen in the ram but it looks like an airplane cockpit with buttons and crap everywhere. Maybe I'm just getting old but if I want to turn the ac on I like just turning the nob.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.