truck prices

16,472 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggieforester05
tailgatetimer10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a sight guess that there was a trade involved in this deal
Cassius
ElephantRider said:

Picard said:

Broba Fett said:

Picard said:

Broba Fett said:

Have a 2013 Lariat with every option you could imagine on it and still walked out for $30k. Surely they haven't gone up $20k in just 5 years.

That is not possible. Assuming you're talking new, a fully loaded XLT clocked in at no better than ~$34k in 2013.

Absolutely possible. 30k walkout. Caught it during truck month back then and Helfman Ford in Stafford area was all too happy to make a deal .

Post your new vehicle sales paperwork here for proof. You can cover up your name, address, etc.
This. I still don't believe you

Not gonna say I don't believe the poster, but yeah post it up for the board. You will win the internet for your fantastic deal!
Broba Fett
tailgatetimer10 said:

No trade. I will have to find the paperwork and edit it up. I've seen what heathens on the OB can do with practically zero info.
aggieforester05
AG
Broba Fett said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

No trade. I will have to find the paperwork and edit it up. I've seen what heathens on the OB can do with practically zero info.
My brother bought his crew cab platinum 4x4 ecoboost for $37K as a 2013 year end deal, so that doesn't seem that far off, especially if yours was 2wd and/or 5.0L.

Truck prices have definitely gone up a lot since then. You now get an XLT for what you could get a Lariat for back then.
Broba Fett
aggieforester05 said:

Broba Fett said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

My brother bought his crew cab platinum 4x4 ecoboost for $37K as a 2013 year end deal, so that doesn't seem that far off, especially if yours was 2wd and/or 5.0L.

Truck prices have definitely gone up a lot since then. You now get an XLT for what you could get a Lariat for back then.

My lariat was a 2wd 5.0L fwiw.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Tumble Weed
Profits on trucks

Quote:

There's a reason the Detroit Big 3 automakers are in a arms race when it comes to big pickups. These are among the most profitable models the automakers sell.

"Pickup trucks, the full-size and then the heavy duty, combined account for well over 100 percent of global auto profit," said Adam Jonas, auto analyst with Morgan Stanley. "We like to joke sometimes the Ford F-150 is called the F-150 because it accounts for 150 percent of Ford's global profit."

Jonas estimates some of the newest full-size pickups each bring in $10,000 to $15,000 in profits for automakers, depending on the model. He calls the profit margins "Ferrari like."

Yes, they do cost too much. I personally blame country music for making them popular.
Cassius
Tumble Weed said:

Profits on trucks

Quote:

There's a reason the Detroit Big 3 automakers are in a arms race when it comes to big pickups. These are among the most profitable models the automakers sell.

"Pickup trucks, the full-size and then the heavy duty, combined account for well over 100 percent of global auto profit," said Adam Jonas, auto analyst with Morgan Stanley. "We like to joke sometimes the Ford F-150 is called the F-150 because it accounts for 150 percent of Ford's global profit."

Jonas estimates some of the newest full-size pickups each bring in $10,000 to $15,000 in profits for automakers, depending on the model. He calls the profit margins "Ferrari like."

Yes, they do cost too much. I personally blame country music for making them popular.

Part of the reason they cost so much is protectionism. We have a 25% tariff on light duty trucks. So the domestics can charge a lot more.

Quote:

The Chicken Tax is a 25 percent tariff on light trucks (and originally on potato starch, dextrin, and brandy) imposed in 1964 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson...

Regular auto tariffs are 2.5%, and other items average 1%.
Mucho austin
AG
I just picked up a 2008 F150 Lariat supercrew with 75k miles for $15k
el_scorcho
AG
Should we start a thread where you post your:
1. YMM
2. Trim level
3. Options
4. Actual price before TT&L

or

1. VIN
2. Information available online via the VIN
3. Suggested MSRP

Picard
AG
el_scorcho said:

1. YMM
2. Trim level
3. Options

or

1. VIN
3. Suggested MSRP

Neither. Enough BS has been posted already.

el_scorcho
AG
Just poking fun at the questionable posts on here.
Tumble Weed
el_scorcho said:

1. YMM
2. Trim level
3. Options

or

1. VIN
3. Suggested MSRP

Because we have never had a deeek measuring thread on the automotive board before?
tailgatetimer10
AG
The ones that go on around here are odd though.

Such as: minivan vs SUV
Tumble Weed
tailgatetimer10 said:

Those minivan threads are just weird. I shield my eyes as I can feel my testosterone being sucked out of my body. Very disapointed in the automotive board for letting a bunch of soccer moms take over what should be an octane-fueled donut in the parking lot.
John Francis Donaghy
Tumble Weed said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Those minivan threads are just weird. I shield my eyes as I can feel my testosterone being sucked out of my body. Very disapointed in the automotive board for letting a bunch of soccer moms take over what should be an octane-fueled donut in the parking lot.

I dont know if youve been to a soccer field recently, but there aren't many soccer moms driving minivans these days. Tahoe is the new Caravan.
The Fife
John Francis Donaghy said:

I dont know if youve been to a soccer field recently, but there aren't many soccer moms driving minivans these days. Tahoe is the new Caravan.

It's been like that for longer than people realize. A fish I knew in 2000 wanted nothing more than to find someone to have 3 kids with, and her dream car to haul them around in... a Tahoe. Same thing with all the kid haulers the other parents we know have.
htxag09
AG
Has the auto board found a way to turn a thread specifically on trucks into their tradition minivan pissing match?
The Fife
htxag09 said:

Has the auto board found a way to turn a thread specifically on trucks into their tradition minivan pissing match?

Is a thread on manual transmissions destined to become Miata talk?

I will say if I ever had to replace my F-100 I'd probably hit up some of the ace of base articles on thetruthaboutcars.com. Prices actually seem reasonable on some of those trucks.
Cassius

Tumble Weed said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Or smaller SUVs. The SUV is king (and queen) now.
ILikeTacos
AG
Senator Cassius said:

Tumble Weed said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

"zOMG is that the NEW RX350?!!?"

Or in our old little suburb of dallas, it was a white infinity QX56/80 whatever the eph they were. I didn't even know they were made in other colors until 2 years after we had lived there...
drumboy
AG
ILikeTacos said:

Senator Cassius said:

Tumble Weed said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

"zOMG is that the NEW RX350?!!?"

Or in our old little suburb of dallas, it was a white infinity QX56/80 whatever the eph they were. I didn't even know they were made in other colors until 2 years after we had lived there...
Well the RX350 does come in a third row configuration now (RX350L)....
Goodest Poster
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

Think the 1/2 tons are expensive - take a look at a 3/4 ton diesel! Even striped down versions (if you can find one) are out of site.

The wife and I were needing a bigger camper and leaning toward a travel trailer or 5th wheel, but would need to move up to a 3/4 ton. By the time you get a 3/4 ton and a camper you are in Motorhome territory. We went with a MH and hooked her Jeep to the back.

I would love to get back in a 3/4 ton diesel, but don't ever see spending that kind of cash again.....
Just go with Earthroamer
Picard
AG
Broba Fett said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

Duncan Idaho
The Fife said:

It's been like that for longer than people realize. A fish I knew in 2000 wanted nothing more than to find someone to have 3 kids with, and her dream car to haul them around in... a Tahoe. Same thing with all the kid haulers the other parents we know have.

Yeah I've always associated any four-door SUV with a chick. Especially if it was 2wd.
If I saw a dude driving a four-door 2 wheel drive SUV I just assumed that he had his wife's car for the day.
MouthBQ98
AG
Tahoe's are so pointless. For practically the same price you get a suburban a mere 20" longer with easier entry rear doors, more cargo space, a smoother ride and better towing from a longer wheelbase, etc. it's not any harder to park. It really isn't.

I think the moms think "shorter is cuter"
AgEng06
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I think the moms think "shorter is cuter"
And thank God for that.
Silky Johnston
Drove a 4-door two wheel drive Tahoe the last part of College and Graduate School and slayed some mad poontang because of it.
aggieforester05
AG
User name checks out
mAgnoliAg
AG
Broba Fett said:

Have a 2013 Lariat with every option you could imagine on it and still walked out for $30k. Surely they haven't gone up $20k in just 5 years.

Flagged
AG
Cassius said:

Tumble Weed said:

Profits on trucks

Quote:

Part of the reason they cost so much is protectionism. We have a 25% tariff on light duty trucks. So the domestics can charge a lot more.

Quote:

The Chicken Tax is a 25 percent tariff on light trucks (and originally on potato starch, dextrin, and brandy) imposed in 1964 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson...

The chicken tax is not why trucks are expensive.
Cassius
1939 said:

Cassius said:

Tumble Weed said:

Profits on trucks

Quote:

Quote:

The chicken tax is not why trucks are expensive.

Its part of the reason, yes.
AG
How so? What Trucks would be imported here if if the tariff didn't exist? There is no tariff on imports from Mexico. There are no tariffs on domestic made trucks and every major manufacturer has American manufacturing plants that they could build trucks at if they wanted too. The full size truck market outside of the United States is basically non existent.
Cassius
1939 said:

How so? What Trucks would be imported here if if the tariff didn't exist? There is no tariff on imports from Mexico. There are no tariffs on domestic made trucks and every major manufacturer has American manufacturing plants that they could build trucks at if they wanted too. The full size truck market outside of the United States is basically non existent.

Why would any foreigner get into the US truck business in the first place with a 25% protective tariff? If that did not exist, you might see trucks manufactured cheaper abroad and imported, which would drive down cost.

If you don't think it contributes to higher prices, try taking it away and watch the domestics scream.
lotsofhp
AG
I think available financing has a lot to do with the high prices of trucks. They keep running the price up and we keep buying the hell out of them. How much more a month is a $50k truck than a $35k truck?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.