truck prices

16,391 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggieforester05
Cassius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How can folks afford a new truck these days without breaking the bank?

My SIL - who is as fiscally irresponsible as they come - leased a new F150 with the ecoboost v6.

I drove it and the thing is a rocket ship.

I have a 2012 v8 XLT that I bought used. Even used at that time, the price made me a bit queasy.

I kind of got the fever a little bit driving his, so I looked some up and the things are 50k+ for a no feature XLT with cloth.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
They aren't 50 k

Xlt 4x4 34.5k
Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/726413228/overview?aff=share_other

V-8 4x4 xlt 35.5k
Hey, check out this car I found on Cars.com: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/746065897/overview?aff=share_other
Cassius
hmm, ok the 2019s I'm seeing around my area are going for 50k for 4x4 xlt.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I'm in Houston
Where are you?
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Msrp is 50, can have a 2019 xlt 4x4 crew cab for 40ish within 250 miles of houston
PFG
AG
Harder to find now, but a few years ago when 1% financing was common...heck yes I'll buy what I want and leverage this on the bank making slim pickings.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
Picard
AG
Senator Cassius said:

My SIL - who is as fiscally irresponsible as they come - leased a new F150 with the ecoboost v6.

JB
AG
They ARE too expensive, but no XLT 4x4 should be over 42ish. MSRP doesn't seem to mean much with Fords.
AgTech88
AG
Think the 1/2 tons are expensive - take a look at a 3/4 ton diesel! Even striped down versions (if you can find one) are out of site.

The wife and I were needing a bigger camper and leaning toward a travel trailer or 5th wheel, but would need to move up to a 3/4 ton. By the time you get a 3/4 ton and a camper you are in Motorhome territory. We went with a MH and hooked her Jeep to the back.

I would love to get back in a 3/4 ton diesel, but don't ever see spending that kind of cash again.....
theJonatron
AG
I got my 2017 XLT 5.0 Super Crew for $25K used with 29K miles. You just have to look for them.
agdoc2001
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

Think the 1/2 tons are expensive - take a look at a 3/4 ton diesel! Even striped down versions (if you can find one) are out of site...

If you want to save money, get the regular paint and add the stripes yourself later.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PFG
AG
Buy the 6.2 gas engine instead. Still pleeeeenty of power and no $9000 PStroke upgrade.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
O'Doyle Rules
AG
LiveOak said:

Harder to find now, but a few years ago when 1% financing was common...heck yes I'll buy what I want and leverage this on the bank making slim pickings.

But you're paying more on the price with no discounts
EskimoJoe
rsmithtesiusa said:

Think the 1/2 tons are expensive - take a look at a 3/4 ton diesel! Even striped down versions (if you can find one) are out of site.

The wife and I were needing a bigger camper and leaning toward a travel trailer or 5th wheel, but would need to move up to a 3/4 ton. By the time you get a 3/4 ton and a camper you are in Motorhome territory. We went with a MH and hooked her Jeep to the back.

I would love to get back in a 3/4 ton diesel, but don't ever see spending that kind of cash again.....

think the 3/4 tons are expensive, look at a real diesel truck. A new kenworth w900 is $175k and you need to buy a trailer after that.
dodger02
AG
No one pays >$50k unless you're going Platinum or Limited trim. I bought an '18 XLT SCrew 4x4 302A in September for like $40k.
lotsofhp
AG
The answer to your first question is as simple as the availability of credit.

People have no problem at all with debt as long as they can swing the payment. They don't ask how much anymore, they ask how much down and how much a month.

The financing people have done and amazing job getting us all to buy in. Just look around you when you're going down the road these days. You don't even see old cars on the road anymore. Everyone's got the current body style.
ElephantRider
AG
Just because the MSRP is that high doesn't mean that's what you'll pay
PFG
AG
Quote:

People have no problem at all with debt when it makes financial sense to utilize low interest rates and invest the rest

Fify.

I know, I know. It's against the book of Dave, chapter 1, verse 1.
AgCPA95
AG
LiveOak said:

Quote:

People have no problem at all with debt when it makes financial sense to utilize low interest rates and invest the rest

Fify.

"Invest the rest" does not compute with about 75% of the population as they are living paycheck to paycheck.
The Lost
So has this thread now decided 35-40k is cheap?

They definitely aren't 50k, but the op isn't wrong about them not being cheap it. It's probably the only reason ford still exists too considering they still make a killing off even those "discounts".
tailgatetimer10
AG
AgCPA95 said:

LiveOak said:

Quote:

Fify.

"Invest the rest" does not compute with about 75% of the population as they are living paycheck to paycheck.

Exactly. And this isn't counting the people who see the low interest rate as a reason to not pay it off, and still don't invest the rest.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Its insane they offer 84 or even 96 month financing...but whatever I guess. Talk about instantly being underwater on your loan the second you drive it off the lot. 'Murica.
EMY92
AG
Eh, you can get a 30 mortgage on a mobile home. It depreciates like a car does.

That said, I've only financed two vehicles for 48 months and nothing longer.
CATAGBQ04
AG
My '19 F250 XLT premium crewcab Fx4 gasser wasn't even close to $50k...even after getting aftermarket leather put in.
TommyGun
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

My '19 F250 XLT premium crewcab Fx4 gasser wasn't even close to $50k...even after getting aftermarket leather put in.

My dad just bought a new '18 F-250 Powerstroke 4x4 with the STX package for $48k. The dealer had a '19 on the lot with the same package for right at $50k

There are some deals out there. Just have to find a dealer offering good discounts.
TMoney2007
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

Its insane they offer 84 or even 96 month financing...but whatever I guess. Talk about instantly being underwater on your loan the second you drive it off the lot. 'Murica.
I mean, be upside down on the loan or burn your actual cash, its really the same thing if you're buying new. Most of your loss is because you're buying new, not because of any financing terms.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I bought a new 2018 F150 in May with screw, 4x4, XLT, FX4, Navigation, tow package and 5.0L for $37,100 out the door. They can be found but you have track it down. This was in BCS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
Broba Fett
Have a 2013 Lariat with every option you could imagine on it and still walked out for $30k. Surely they haven't gone up $20k in just 5 years.
Picard
AG
Broba Fett said:

Have a 2013 Lariat with every option you could imagine on it and still walked out for $30k. Surely they haven't gone up $20k in just 5 years.

That is not possible. Assuming you're talking new, a fully loaded XLT clocked in at no better than ~$34k in 2013.

ElephantRider
AG
Broba Fett said:

Unless you bought it used several years later, there's no way
meggy09
AG
Picard said:

Broba Fett said:

That is not possible. Assuming you're talking new, a fully loaded XLT clocked in at no better than ~$34k in 2013.

I don't think he's too far off. I remember looking in 2015 and a 4 door XLT 4x4 5.0 with the bigger info screen, 302A or whatever, was in the upper 20's after all discounts.
Cassius
Broba Fett said:

Fully loaded Lariat for $30k? That sounds way too low.
ILikeTacos
AG
AgCPA95 said:

LiveOak said:

Quote:

Fify.

I saw a meme the other day that said "I am first world poor, which means I have an Iphone and a Macbook to login to my bank account and see that I have $5".

THAT is America today, people just "living their best life"
AgEng08
AG
I have a 2013 lariat super crew 4wd with everything but navigation and sunroof... searched high and low for one with the large screen my ford touch and no nav and no sun roof... has everything else... leather, heated cooled seats, flow through console, etc. Found one for $37k... Ran the numbers by 1ags contact at TV and she said to jump on that deal. It was the best deal i came across by a pretty good margin. Purchased in Nov '13. So getting one for 30k, when i got a helluva deal at 37k... seems off.

ETA; more detail
Picard
AG
meggy09 said:

Picard said:

Broba Fett said:

I don't think he's too far off. I remember looking in 2015 and a 4 door XLT 4x4 5.0 with the bigger info screen, 302A or whatever, was in the upper 20's after all discounts.

Holy cow are you people crazy?

I just pulled up an e-mail from the 1Ags contact from December 2013 where I was looking for a new 2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 302A. Total price was $43,455. Invoice was $40047. Best possible price after rebates was $34,024.

A Lariat would have been significantly higher than that.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.