Guess the damage 17 Titan....Video Edition

8,418 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Shiner Bock
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could tell that pos wasn't insured from the video. Shocked that they weren't illegals.
Shiner Bock
1st followup:

Other driver and passenger both state I am at fault and filed a claim with my insurance.

I was contacted by my insurance, gave recorded statement, and sent in the dash cam video.

My insurance stated upon receipt of video they have put me as no fault and other driver as At Fault. They said usually this process takes a long time, but not this time with clear video.
Picard
AG
DashCam = 1
POS members of society = 0

Ag for Life
AG
Shiner Bock said:

1st followup:

Other driver and passenger both state I am at fault and filed a claim with my insurance.

I was contacted by my insurance, gave recorded statement, and sent in the dash cam video.

My insurance stated upon receipt of video they have put me as no fault and other driver as At Fault. They said usually this process takes a long time, but not this time with clear video.

People are such scum these days. That pisses me off. More proof that dash cams are worth every penny.
aTm2004
AG
Shiner Bock said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

DadAG10 said:

TxSquarebody said:

Braking distance is about 120 feet at that speed.

Braking:
30-0 mph (ft): 34.6
60-0 mph (ft): 133.7

Braking on 2016

Reaction time isn't included in these tests

I've thought over and over since the wreck and watched the video several times. I don't think there's any way I could've avoided. I was watching the road, hit the brakes as quick as I could, and there was no safe maneuver available in my head over that short time frame.
I T-boned a dick knuckle about a year and a half ago in my Frontier who I saw come from a complete stop at a red light and go right through the intersection. I began jammed on my brakes the moment I saw him take off (from my 9 at the intersection) and got him right in the double doors on the side of the van. I've played it over and over in my head as well and come to the same conclusion you did...there's just a point that you're not able to stop regardless of the speed (I was about 35 as I was coming out of a 20 mph school zone). His insurance felt differently and took it to arbitration, where they got dick slapped.
aTm2004
AG
Shiner Bock said:

1st followup:

Since they're uninsured, it may not take too long for you. They'll settle with you and then go after the other driver on their own. The dick knuckle I hit was insured, and even though there were 2 witnesses (including the lady sitting beside him at the red light) who said he ran the red light, he was ticketed, and he originally admitted to the cops that he thought it turned green, his insurance said it was my fault and not his. What should have been completed in a few weeks turned into month's.

Just be prepared, your insurance will fight for you but they will low ball you on things. Do your homework and don't be afraid to push back. I have Farmer's and they originally offered me $8k for my '07 Frontier with 165k miles. I turned it down and provided about 20 different similar year Frontiers at a lower package than mine (LE CC) with similar miles that were posted for $11-13k and ended up getting $12.5k for it.
Ag for Life
AG
Shiner Bock said:

1st followup:

Forgot to ask: What dashcam model do you have?
Aggietaco
AG
Can you tell from your original video if their light was green as well? It wouldn't be the first time there was a traffic light malfunction. Much more likely that they just ran the red light, but there's a chance.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Shiner Bock said:

1st followup:

Well, that dashcam just paid for itself.

I don't think there was anything you could possible have done unless you had reason to be watching that car in particular ahead of time....of course, there is NO reason for you to do that and if you did, you'd probably get nailed by an idiot coming from the other side.

I wish there was something that could be done in cases like this where it is verifiable that the other party is lying (I mean beyond just assigning fault correctly).
saltydog13
AG
What happens if you don't have uninsured? Do you just claim it on your own insurance under collision coverage?
Shiner Bock
I have the Aukey dashcam. Looks like a tiny 2" square. ~$50-60. 1080p. Be sure to pick up a heat resistant micro SD card. I got a 64gb for about $14
Shiner Bock
Aggietaco said:

Can you tell from your original video if their light was green as well? It wouldn't be the first time there was a traffic light malfunction. Much more likely that they just ran the red light, but there's a chance.

Obtained police report. witness in same lane of travel as other driver told police their light was red
drumboy
AG
Sounds like my incident with the girl that merged into my lane after turning right on red but said I ran the red light. It was cleared up in about a week with dash cam video.
EMY92
AG
I've had a dash cam for a little over a year. I hope to never need it, but with all of the scumbags out there, it is almost as good as insurance.
Unemployed
AG
EMY92 said:

I've had a dash cam for a little over a year. I hope to never need it, but with all of the scumbags out there, it is almost as good as insurance.
$70-100 expenditure that can save you thousands of dollars and a lot of heartache. It's just plug and play. If you don't have a dashcam, you're an idiot.
Complete Idiot
RealTalk said:

EMY92 said:

$70-100 expenditure that can save you thousands of dollars and a lot of heartache. It's just plug and play. If you don't have a dashcam, you're an idiot.
I don't have a dashcam.
Tree Hugger
AG
Complete Idiot said:

RealTalk said:

EMY92 said:

I don't have a dashcam.
Obligatory:

Username checks out
jsc8116
AG
Depends if frame has damage and if any kinks in it, if so the frame has to be replaced. Nissan might service the front section of the frame separate. When you talk to the auto damage adjuster, try to tell him you want it totaled, as the other driver being uninsured, you cant file for diminished value on your your own coverage and will take a hit when you sell/trade in for the $10k+ repairs(assuming no frame replacement).
CATAGBQ04
AG
Welp, I'm def installing a dashcam now.
htxag09
AG
I'm not saying it's not worth it to have a dash cam, but in this case wouldn't the police report and witness testimonies still have been enough to prove she was at fault and a lying pos when she stated otherwise?
Prune Tracy
Dumpster Fire
After reading this thread I just bought the Aukey Dashcam.

Found a deal on Slickdeals for the one that's been sitting in my wish list for a year:

https://slickdeals.net/f/12204040-aukey-1080p-dashcam-w-sony-sensor-night-vision-dr02-50-40-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Enter the code (LJEDJJ98) in at checkout and it took $20 off the price.
aggiepaintrain
AG
how much was the estimate?
FJB
Complete Idiot
What always holds me back is not believing I can do a clean power wiring install - how do you guys do it?
Shiner Bock
aggiepaintrain said:

how much was the estimate?

Initial estimate was performed before disassembly. From that initial inspection, no known frame damage was identified. They quoted $6700, although did state it may significantly increase as the truck is disassembled.

Both the body shop and insurance adjuster were not surprised about lack of airbag deploy. Said that since the inertia was not direct head on, it was unlikely to cause deployment.
AgEng06
AG
Just ordered one for each of our vehicles. Thanks for the discount code.
Ag for Life
AG
Shiner Bock said:

I have the Aukey dashcam. Looks like a tiny 2" square. ~$50-60. 1080p. Be sure to pick up a heat resistant micro SD card. I got a 64gb for about $14
Thanks!
Shiner Bock
Complete Idiot said:

What always holds me back is not believing I can do a clean power wiring install - how do you guys do it?

The cam I use has a USB power so it was very simple to just tuck the wire along the way and plug it in. Comes with adapter to plug into "cigarette lighter".

I followed this video to install.

Complete Idiot
Shiner Bock said:

Complete Idiot said:

The cam I use has a USB power so it was very simple to just tuck the wire along the way and plug it in. Comes with adapter to plug into "cigarette lighter".

I followed this video to install.

That's how I don't want it to look. I guess I need a professional install that taps into power in my rear view mirror. Manufacturers need to start putting USB connections in the mirrors I guess.
Acct2009
How have you liked your Aukey / how has it fared in Texas heat?
drumboy
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I put mine right by the rear view mirror and ran the cord behind the RVM mount cover, tucked the wire behind the headliner using a professional body trim tool (electric tape covered flat head) and then behind the drivers side A pillar cover that's easily removed. From there I fished the wired down to the fuse box where a fuse adapter is plugged into an empty slot that's only powered when the car is on.
Shiner Bock
Acct2009 said:

How have you liked your Aukey / how has it fared in Texas heat?

No complaints yet. Only in car since May. From research before buying , the biggest concern typically is the SD card. Be sure it is the heat/cold resistant microSD rather than standard.
Absolute
AG
Complete Idiot said:

RealTalk said:

EMY92 said:

I don't have a dashcam.
Don't have one either, and I'm not even a self proclaimed idiot.....

Have seen enough and we just move more back into town where I have noticed a huge difference is how bad the drivers are around here. It is insanely amazing.

Going to order cams today. Need the kind with a rear facing camera as well?
Jaydoug
AG
Here's a question. My F150 has cameras all over it. Why can't there be an optional DVR to record that footage for things like this. Feels strange buying a camera for a truck that already has a buttload of cameras.
htxag09
AG
Jaydoug said:

Here's a question. My F150 has cameras all over it. Why can't there be an optional DVR to record that footage for things like this. Feels strange buying a camera for a truck that already has a buttload of cameras.

Have wondered this too. Just have a dvr that stores 5 minutes of video from all cameras and continually overwrites itself. That would be all you need 90+% of the time.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.