Guess the damage 17 Titan....Video Edition

8,376 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Shiner Bock
Shiner Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright folks, here's one for y'all to work on. I drive a 2017 Nissan Titan SV 2wd 12,500 miles. Driving home from work, going speed limit. Light was green the entire time I was able to visualize it, at least 10-15 seconds. As I began to cross through the intersection, well see for yourselves....

Here are a few pics from the collision.

I was unable to get out the drivers side door as it was jammed, passenger side was fine. Driver had NO insurance, which pisses me off. I have a $250 deductible. Other driver was cited for no insurance, and taken to hospital from the scene with cuts from head to toe from the broken glass, don't know about other injuries

Amazingly, and I'm slightly concerned, my air bag did not deploy. I'm pretty sore all over today, but walking and talking.
sts7049
AG
damn.

how fast were you going? 30 or 35? i am a little surprised as well the airbag didn't pop but maybe it just wasn't a hard enough hit.
Shiner Bock
AG
sts7049 said:

damn.

how fast were you going? 30 or 35? i am a little surprised as well the airbag didn't pop but maybe it just wasn't a hard enough hit.
i was going ~35
Dill-Ag13
AG
DANG. Airbag should've deployed... Sorry, glad everyone is ok.

$12,000 bob
AgEng06
AG
Bad Boys 3?!?
tailgatetimer10
AG
AgEng06 said:

Bad Boys 3?!?

That caught my attention as well
tailgatetimer10
AG
Makes me cringe just watching that video. I definitely feel for you.

Btw how did you like your titan, would you get another one? You don't hear much from people who actually own them, so just curious
03_Aggie
In before DadAg tells you it's your fault for not noticing the other car quicker.
Shiner Bock
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Makes me cringe just watching that video. I definitely feel for you.

Btw how did you like your titan, would you get another one? You don't hear much from people who actually own them, so just curious

I actually am very pleased with the Titan, albeit still concerned re: airbag deployment. I like the 5.6 V8, good acceleration, handles nicely. I average around 20 mpg. Only knock i have on it is the "infotainment", but I cant really say much as I have the SV base model type truck (my choice). I recommend them.
drumboy
AG
Yep, folks are gonna say that you were going to fast and even accelerated to prove a point.

Re: no insurance; take solace in the fact that it will cost you your uninsured motorist deductible but it will cost that dumbass their car.
Ag for Life
AG
Let me guess, no speaky da ingles?

Sucks man, glad you're ok. I'm impressed with how the Titan took the lick. She's lucky to not be dead
Shiner Bock
AG
Unemployed mid 20's from Arkansas.
TxSquarebody
Looks like the truck held up well. The failure to fire on the airbags is a bit concerning. Engineered perception and reaction distance is 1.5 - 2 seconds so traveling ~50 feet per second that's 100 feet. Braking distance is about 120 feet at that speed. ~220 in total stopping distance. Totally unpreventable on your part.
Floor it until you see God
Ag for Life
AG
Shiner Bock said:

Unemployed mid 20's from Arkansas.
So broken English and missing teeth?
DadAG10
TxSquarebody said:

Braking distance is about 120 feet at that speed.

Braking:
30-0 mph (ft): 34.6
60-0 mph (ft): 133.7

Braking on 2016
DadAG10
03_Aggie said:

In before DadAg tells you it's your fault for not noticing the other car quicker.
BTW, never said that.

Try to understand what "partial" means.
aggiepaintrain
AG
$15k
FJB
tailgatetimer10
AG
DadAG10 said:

TxSquarebody said:

Braking:

Braking on 2016

Reaction time isn't included in these tests
Shiner Bock
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

DadAG10 said:

TxSquarebody said:

Braking:

Braking on 2016

I've thought over and over since the wreck and watched the video several times. I don't think there's any way I could've avoided. I was watching the road, hit the brakes as quick as I could, and there was no safe maneuver available in my head over that short time frame.
Shiner Bock
AG
Question for the AB...Given that my driver side door was jammed shut, is that indicative of frame damage, or maybe just the panel itself needing replaced?
DadAG10
tailgatetimer10 said:

DadAG10 said:

TxSquarebody said:

Braking:

Braking on 2016

Well aware. It was separate in the post I was responding to.
DadAG10
Shiner Bock said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

DadAG10 said:

TxSquarebody said:

Braking:

Braking on 2016

I've thought over and over since the wreck and watched the video several times. I don't think there's any way I could've avoided. I was watching the road, hit the brakes as quick as I could, and there was no safe maneuver available in my head over that short time frame.
I agree, only way to avoid was to not be there at all.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Shiner Bock said:

Question for the AB...Given that my driver side door was jammed shut, is that indicative of frame damage, or maybe just the panel itself needing replaced?

I think it's because your fenders got pushed back with the impact. However I'd think the front frame is damaged add well. They're designed to give
TxSquarebody
DadAG10 said:

TxSquarebody said:

Braking:

Braking on 2016

You are correct. New tires, new brakes, test facility, lowest recorded distance of who knows number of attempts. So yeah, absolute best case scenario.
Floor it until you see God
AggieStout
AG
I always watch these and say "I really need to install a dash camera".
BrazosDog02
AG
Truck looks ****ed. Is that totaled? Or can you fix it up and dump it?
TSJ
AG
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about your airbag. Did your seatbelt pull you back into the seat or do you have bruise from the belt? Usually the minimum involvement the airbag system is firing seatbelt pretensioners.

Both of these vehicles have an airbag module that can be downloaded. His may or may not record lateral speed change or deltaV, but both should record the 5 seconds preceding impact. Also on yours it should tell which airbags "woke up" or not.

Be ready though, I see a lot of cases with far less damage than this turned into suits. Just because they are uninsured doesn't mean they wont lawyer up. Your video is very helpful showing the traffic lights and time scale.
a07nathanb
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili
I was sitting still in a middle turn lane, driving a 2011 f150, and was hit head on by an older Silverado. He was going between 35-45. My airbags never deployed. It was a dead center hit at a 30* angle which bent the frame so bad it had to be replaced.

My wife, myself, and the hound in the back seat were fine, and I'm sure the airbags would have caused some damage, but it just made me question at what point do these things deploy?
OasisMan
AG
cant tell from the vid, but wondering if he was texting & driving -- just kind of decided to not observe the red light
Shiner Bock
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Truck looks ****ed. Is that totaled? Or can you fix it up and dump it?

Insurance agent said since relatively new, low miles, and airbags didn't deploy, almost guaranteed they will fix.

I can't imagine it won't have gremlins after, so I'll probably dump it soon
Furlock Bones
AG
Argue for diminished value for sure.
f2foxes2001
AG
You should sue the Arkie. I hate uninsured pieces of ***** If you can't afford insurance take the bus.
Goat Man
AG
$10,000
DadAG10
TxSquarebody said:

DadAG10 said:

TxSquarebody said:

Braking:

Braking on 2016

You are correct. New tires, new brakes, test facility, lowest recorded distance of who knows number of attempts. So yeah, absolute best case scenario.
So, with roughly 10,000 more miles on brakes and tires, it takes more than twice as long to stop?

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.