Vehicle Depreciation - Gas vs Diesel F150

5,019 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by saltydog13
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I drive a lot... somewhere around 30k miles a year, and I'm hoping to upgrade my daily driver soon (hopefully in the next year or so). I've pretty much made up my mind that it will be a new F150. In the interest of maximizing gas mileage, I'm debating between the 2.7 and the new baby diesel. In the trim levels I'm looking at, the diesels are anywhere from $4-6k more expensive. Also, diesel fuel for costs more. Lastly, Ford often offers 0% financing on f150s, but the diesel isn't eligible for this special financing, making it cost even more per month.

So my main question is, does the board think that the diesel will retain value better at high mileage than a gas motor? I know with the super duty trucks, the diesels retain value like crazy, even when they get to high mileage. Taking into account the items I mentioned above that make the diesel motor more expensive, do yall think this is offset on the back end by retaining value better in the long run? I'm going to be depreciating an asset at an accelerated rate, and I would really like to slow that rate down if possible.

(and before somebody says why don't you get a beater and drive that so you don't have to worry about depreciating it, that's exactly what I have now and I hate it. I'm at a point in my life that I'm ready to spoil myself a little bit and be comfortable in my daily driver that I spend many hours a day in.)
Corps_Ag12
AG
In your case, i'd probably just go with the 2.7L Boost.

It's a gamble on whether or not the diesel F150's will hold value like their big brother Super Duties do. I drive a 3/4 ton diesel because i like to and every once in a blue moon i'll pull a heavy trailer. Granted, I do get similar/better mileage than my half ton gas counterparts that my friends drive. But they like to trade trucks often while i am planning on keeping this truck until it gives up the ghost.

If you're not going to keep it a long time, get the gas.
The Wonderer
AG
2.7L boost and move on.
drummer0415
AG
I'll be honest, what I REALLY WANT is an f250. I plan on keeping this truck a long time and I know it'll hold its value well, but between the high purchase price and worse mileage, I'm afraid it'll be out of of my budget range.
Furlock Bones
AG
Buy a 1-2 year old gasser 3/4 ton. Best value.
reproag
AG
drummer0415 said:

I'll be honest, what I REALLY WANT is an f250. I plan on keeping this truck a long time and I know it'll hold its value well, but between the high purchase price and worse mileage, I'm afraid it'll be out of of my budget range.
Contact info in profile if you'd like to talk
CATAGBQ04
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Buy a 1-2 year old gasser 3/4 ton. Best value.

IF ONLY I HAD ONE FOR SALE...
drummer0415
AG
Only interested in 2017+ for the new body style. Also, something is up with your post in the classifieds. Your OP is just blank.
drumboy
AG
How does the price compare on a base model F250 diesel to the F150 you're considering? I remember them being cheaper than blinged out F150s a while back when I looked if it's close I'd go bigger cause you know the resale will be good.
drummer0415
AG
Not really interested in base model anything. Looking for at least Lariat level.

Based on some quick searches, here's the best prices I'm seeing for brand new Lariats, all 4x4.

F150 2.7..... $45-47k
F150 baby diesel.... $52-54k
F250 diesel.... $59k+
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I currently use a 2.7 4X2 for work.

I love the engine and transmission combo.

I really like the Diesel F150 that I drove, and the engine is a $4K option over the 2.7L, and only available in the Lariat, KR and Plat lines for retail. Fleets can get it in peasant trims. My plan is to order a Diesel STX 4WD F150.

drummer0415
AG
I appreciate the input and glad to hear a positive review from someone that has driven one. Any ideas on if the diesel will retain value better to make that $4k increase worth it?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
drummer0415 said:

I appreciate the input and glad to hear a positive review from someone that has driven one. Any ideas on if the diesel will retain value better to make that $4k increase worth it?
Still TBD man.

drummer0415
AG
Understandable. I'll bump this thread in several months when I get closer to actually buying.
PFG
AG
No interest in the 17+ F250 gasser?

I has one. With the 4.3 rear end. Lariat. I get 13 in town/stop&go, 15-16 on the highway. Avg right at 14 for life of truck. 37K and change.

If you really want the 250, it's a nice alternative to the $8K PStroke upgrade. Lots of get up in the 6.2 F250 with the new transmission. IMO
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
PFG said:

I has one. With the 4.3 rear end. Lariat. I get 13 in town/stop&go, 15-16 on the highway. Avg right at 14 for life of truck. 37K and change.

If you really want the 250, it's a nice alternative to the $8K PStroke upgrade. Lots of get up in the 6.2 F250 with the new transmission. IMO

The 2020 Super Duty will have the new 7.3L Gas engine. Should be released middle of 2019.
drummer0415
AG
Not interested in a gasser f250 at all. I realize theres a price break on it compared to the diesel, but the entire point of my thread was minimizing depreciation with high mileage and the gasser just doesn't do that when compared to the diesel. Not to mention it gets WORSE gas mileage than the diesel and has less towing capacity. It seems like the worst option out of everything mentioned on this page. Lol
snaglepuss
I don't like the price on any of these trucks...
Picard
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

PFG said:

The 2020 Super Duty will have the new 7.3L Gas engine. Should be released middle of 2019.

Ford keeps showering blessings upon us!

PFG
AG
I gotcha. Just mentioned it given your desire to have an F250, Lariat, but kept within budget.
87IE
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I currently use a 2.7 4X2 for work.

I love the engine and transmission combo.

I really like the Diesel F150 that I drove, and the engine is a $4K option over the 2.7L, and only available in the Lariat, KR and Plat lines for retail. Fleets can get it in peasant trims. My plan is to order a Diesel STX 4WD F150.

Any chance you are my long lost brother?
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
Corps_Ag12
AG
You could get an XLT or STX a la 1ags contact then have allout off road & performance add leather with heated & cooled seats. Then it's basically a lariat besides the badges.

If I had known that when I bought my Chevy I would of gotten a cloth LT and saved probably 10k before the leather and cooled/heated seats.
Corps_Ag12
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

PFG said:

I hope this happens. Maybe GM wil bring back the 8.1 L. At least I can dream!
AquaCasaAg
AG
GM will meet you in the middle with a 6.6 gasser next year.
BosAG06
AG
How come nobody likes the 3.5 boost anymore?
Rexter
Corps_Ag12 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

PFG said:

I hope this happens. Maybe GM wil bring back the 8.1 L. At least I can dream!

Im gonna sell my 8.1 after Christmas.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Don't tempt me.

My gf is starting to realize my obsession with cars is very real.
Rexter
Corps_Ag12 said:

Don't tempt me.

My gf is starting to realize my obsession with cars is very real.

Tell her you don't want it... you NEED it!

'02 Silverado 3500 CCLB dually w/Allison, 149K
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
BosAG06 said:

How come nobody likes the 3.5 boost anymore?
Its still relevant, but many of us are now working jobs that we need to do a lot of long distance driving, and the 2.7L engine fits the bill of being able to provide great MPG while still being able to do all the truck things we like/need, while running a sub 7 second 0-60.

The 3.5L has also adapted dual injection (Port and Direct) like the 2.7L did which also helps smoothness, power, and fuel economy. Its now the premium engine in the lineup costwise.

Ford now offers four engine choices in the F150 lineup. One for every use/budget.

I still dream of a singlecab short bed 5.0L 4x4 with a whipple.
pnut02
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
pnut02 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I think I'd go totally sleeper.

i.e. the work truck look. Steel wheels, black bumpers etc.
clarythedrill
1agswitchin4lanes said:

PFG said:

Is 7.3L the size of the motor or is does that mean it will get 7.3 liters per mile on the highway with that size of a gas engine?

I rented a ford 6.2 F250 gasser this summer and never got over 10 MPGs regardless of how I drove it. I have also driven the Dodge 6.4 in their 3/4 ton and it was even worse.

Do you think that 7.3 would get better fuel mileage and have more power than say a turbo'd up or supercharged 6.2?

Also, why are turbos more popular than superchargers for these applications? Aren't supercharges more responsive?
The Wonderer
AG
clarythedrill said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

PFG said:

Is 7.3L the size of the motor or is does that mean it will get 7.3 liters per mile on the highway with that size of a gas engine?

I rented a ford 6.2 F250 gasser this summer and never got over 10 MPGs regardless of how I drove it. I have also driven the Dodge 6.4 in their 3/4 ton and it was even worse.

Do you think that 7.3 would get better fuel mileage and have more power than say a turbo'd up or supercharged 6.2?

Also, why are turbos more popular than superchargers for these applications? Aren't supercharges more responsive?
Turbos are typically more fuel efficient as they are only pumping more air (thus requiring more fuel to burn to create more power) when spun up. Supercharges are always pumping more air (and requiring more fuel) because they are spun directly off the crank. Turbos are more "power on demand" whereas supercharges are always "moar powaaaaaaaaa".
aggieforester05
AG
A supercharged or turbocharged 6.2 would may or may not make more power and the fuel economy may be worse or better depending on the setup. Turbos and superchargers have very different power bands. Turbos have a slight delay and then come online to produce power. The area where turbo motors makes power and how much lag they have depends on turbo size.
Big turbo = big lag and big top end power
Little turbo = Less lag, big midrange power, runs out of steam up top. (Diesels run low rpms so they use smallish turbos that make great low to midrange power)
Twin turbos = two small turbos give you the quicker spool up and midrange of a small single turbo, but enough flow to make big top end power.

Turbos unlike superchargers run off exhaust gases and are mostly non parasitic. They make more power at the same boost level. Boost is merely a measure of back pressure within a forced induction system. Head flow, camshafts, exhaust, compression ratio, supercharger/turbo flow all effect boost. It's merely a measurement used as a reference for changes you make.

Superchargers come in three different flavors: roots, twin screw, and centrifugal.

Roots = traditional blowers, like the wielands you see on drag racers and I can't think of a single oem car maker that uses anything other than a roots blower on their vehicles. They use rotor packs to force air into the manifold. They make instant boost when the bypass valve is closed and hit max boost very quickly. They make great low end torque and can make big top end power if sized correctly. Newer TVS roots blowers make very little whine.

Twin Screw = Whipple and Kenne Bell blowers. They use a twin screw rotor pack that compresses air before it is sent into the cylinder. These make good low end torque (not as good as roots), killer midrange and top end power if sized right. Instant boost when the throttle is hit. Sound like a screaming banshee.

Centrifugal = Basically a belt driven turbo. They build boost with rpm instead of a time delay like turbos. Therefore, you do not hit peak boos until redline. These are great for drag racing because the power comes on smoother and makes it easier to hook off the line. They also run lower IAT Temps than the other superchargers. They make no additional low end torque, slight improvement in midrange, and hellacious top end power. They look easier to install than the other blowers, but in my experience this is not true.

All of those could be used to make more power out of the 6.2L and it might be able to get better unloaded highway mileage. The problem is that when you're in the boost (accelerating or towing), you have to run rich to keep them from blowing up, so fuel mileage goes down at the same power level in comparison to a naturally aspirated engine. Forced induction also builds up a lot of heat despite intercooler systems. When that happens IATs go up and the engine pulls timing for safety and your power and efficiency suffers. Forced induction on the 6.2L would also be much more expensive than just building a 7.3L, especially if they build it as tough as the 3.5L that it can pull all day long. It would take a ton of cooling and would likely cost damn near as much as the diesel. The 7.3L is going to make good low rpm torque and will be used in medium duty trucks as well. Sometimes there really is no replacement for displacement.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
People that are shopping for 3/4 ton and up trucks generally DGAF about fuel economy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.