Vehicle Depreciation - Gas vs Diesel F150

5,030 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by saltydog13
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, 5 Star now has a 3.5L Boost running 12.02 on tune only with E50.
Drip99
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

People that are shopping for 3/4 ton and up trucks generally DGAF about fuel economy.
Isn't diesel 40-50 cents more than regular per gallon? So you pay a premium up front for the 3/4 ton diesel engine, more per gallon to fill it and it gets 15ish mpg in normal daily driving conditions? Then 1/3 of the owners bro them out with lift and tires reducing the towing capabilities and decreasing mpg. They certainly don't care about mpg.
drummer0415
AG
JesusQuintana said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

People that are shopping for 3/4 ton and up trucks generally DGAF about fuel economy.
Isn't diesel 40-50 cents more than regular per gallon? So you pay a premium up front for the 3/4 ton diesel engine, more per gallon to fill it and it gets 15ish mpg in normal daily driving conditions? Then 1/3 of the owners bro them out with lift and tires reducing the towing capabilities and decreasing mpg. They certainly don't care about mpg.

This is brand new information. Thanks for sharing.
Boo Weekley
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Yep, youre lucky to get 15 mpg on highway at 70mph from what I hear.
Boo Weekley
Why diesel over gas with the the F-250's unless you're hauling HEAVY cargo on a reg basis? The gas still has great tow capacity that fits the needs and then some of 99% of heavy haulers. Diesel is only 2 mpg better at most, but you're paying a premium at the pump and then maintenance is going to be far more expensive when stuff goes wrong as soon as your warranty is up. You're also paying about $9-10k more up front and might recoup $6-7k of that. I also question the reliability and quality of the modern diesels with all of the over-the-top FDA crap on them.

Do people just like the sound? Most people driving 3/4 ton diesels are using them as a daily drivers and for occasional light hauling an F-150 could handle.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Why diesel over gas with the the F-250's unless you're hauling HEAVY cargo on a reg basis? The gas still has great tow capacity that fits the needs and then some of 99% of heavy haulers. Diesel is only 2 mpg better at most, but you're paying a premium at the pump and then maintenance is going to be far more expensive when stuff goes wrong as soon as your warranty is up. You're also paying about $9-10k more up front and might recoup $6-7k of that. I also question the reliability and quality of the modern diesels with all of the over-the-top FDA crap on them.

Do people just like the sound? Most people driving 3/4 ton diesels are using them as a daily drivers and for occasional light hauling an F-150 could handle.
Because they like the clatter and because they can.

*raises hand guiltily*
aggiepaintrain
AG
30k miles a year = losing your ass either way

Serious loss of value, dump when it has 89k miles
clarythedrill
Boo Weekley said:

My '17 Duramax gets a legit 21-22 mpg on highway unloaded. Pulling a 33 foot travel trailer it gets about 15-16, all hand figured. You will not find a dodge, ford, or chevy gasser come close to that.

I have personally driven the 6.2 in a '17 F250 CC 4x4 for over a month and never cracked 10 mpg under any condition unloaded. I have personally driven a '14 dodge 2500 four door 4x4 with their 6.4 unloaded and never got over about 9 mpg for a year. I have not spent much time in the chevy version of the above with the 6.0, but it probably isnt much better.

For the Chevy's, my Duramax uses a whole 1 1/2 quarts more oil at a change than my wifes chevy 6.2 gas engine. Big deal, and diesels dont require synthetic oils that cost twice as much as dino oil that is spec'ed in diesels, so call maintenance a wash. You can add in DEF, but I only use about 7 gallons over 5-6000 miles, so not a big deal and only about the cost of a couple of six packs which just get pissed out.

So, why do people buy cars and trucks that are capable of going faster than the posted speed limit? Same argument can be made for those who want bigger trucks....because they want to.
saltydog13
AG
If you plan on keeping the truck for a long time, why does resale matter?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.