New Jeep Brah!

20,438 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BQRyno
12th Man Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I talked to Discount Tire about spacers, they told me they will not install tires on vehicles with spacers.
javajaws
AG
quote:
Alright, found out I've got right about $5k to drop. Here's what I have in mind, so feel free to tell me what I'm missing:

Metalcloak 3.5 inch lift - $2866 shipped (install with local jeep club,pay for food and beer)
35x12.5R17 BFG KO2s - $1636 installed at Discount Tire
Wheel Spacers (1.5 inch enough?) - $200
Alignment/Speedometer Calibration - $150?
Total: $4852

Anything I'm missing or way off? I know a new tire carrier can't wait too long, so I'd plan on getting that at Christmas. Is that too long of a wait?

Also, where can I find the backspacing on my OEM wheels? From what I gather, it's typically over 5.5". I just need to know more or less than 5.5".

The higher end Metalcloak kits are pretty comprehensive....but you'll need some exhaust spacers as well or I will almost guarantee you'll rub on the driveshaft. They sell a set if you want to get them from the same place...cheap and easy enough to install. FYI - get on Metalcloak's mailing list they send out free shipping specials frequently.

Btw, where you located (which Jeep club)?
ac04
they will if the spacers are hubcentric and/or you're convincing enough
permabull
AG
230Ag
AG
quote:
Fair enough. I had found that the backspacing on sport and rubi wheels was 6.25", but I had trouble finding it for the 75th anniversary wheels. It's probably similar, but I'll keep looking.
it's probably dang near close to the same.
230Ag
AG
quote:
I've read that you have to re-tighten spacers every X miles...seems like it would be a massive pain in the ass to do yourself, not sure that's sound advice though.
it is actually super quick to do it each time you rotate your tires. you just need to torq wrench each one down each time you move a tire. takes 30 seconds.
230Ag
AG
quote:
Discount Tire company policy is to not touch anything with wheel spacers installed. That being said, tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of people run wheel spacers without any issues.

I don't run them and if I did I would probably re-torque them every 6 months when I rotated my tires, same as I re-torque my wheels every 6 months when I rotate them.
discount also has a different definition of wheel spacers. a lot of old school wheel spacers are the flat metal plates that have holes for the lugs and have caused tons of issues. it isn't the new hub centric ones with studs on them.
BQRyno
AG
quote:
quote:
Alright, found out I've got right about $5k to drop. Here's what I have in mind, so feel free to tell me what I'm missing:

Metalcloak 3.5 inch lift - $2866 shipped (install with local jeep club,pay for food and beer)
35x12.5R17 BFG KO2s - $1636 installed at Discount Tire
Wheel Spacers (1.5 inch enough?) - $200
Alignment/Speedometer Calibration - $150?
Total: $4852

Anything I'm missing or way off? I know a new tire carrier can't wait too long, so I'd plan on getting that at Christmas. Is that too long of a wait?

Also, where can I find the backspacing on my OEM wheels? From what I gather, it's typically over 5.5". I just need to know more or less than 5.5".

The higher end Metalcloak kits are pretty comprehensive....but you'll need some exhaust spacers as well or I will almost guarantee you'll rub on the driveshaft. They sell a set if you want to get them from the same place...cheap and easy enough to install. FYI - get on Metalcloak's mailing list they send out free shipping specials frequently.

Btw, where you located (which Jeep club)?
I'm in Richmond/Rosenberg, so the closest is group is the Sugar Land chapter of TX4WD. Thanks for the insights you've had on exhaust spacer etc. Definitely something I'll look into.
BQRyno
AG
quote:
quote:
Fair enough. I had found that the backspacing on sport and rubi wheels was 6.25", but I had trouble finding it for the 75th anniversary wheels. It's probably similar, but I'll keep looking.
it's probably dang near close to the same.
That's what I figured, but I didn't want to assume since I'm new to the Jeep club.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Any exhaust shop can take care of it for much less...it's pretty simple.

OR

Go ahead and get another front drive shaft...your factory one will take a **** with 3.5" of lift, mine lasted about 10k miles. Keep OEM shaft as a spare, rear stock shaft is fine.

If you get a longer aftermarket shaft you don't have to worry about the exhaust spacer.

Northwest Drivetrain is solid http://nwdrivetrain.com/ They built mine, be very wary of off the shelf shafts...Tom Woods is junk.
Furlock Bones
AG
i have 2dr JK with the Metalcloak 2.5. I did the exhaust spacer kit. it's worked fine. my drive shafts are still good.
230Ag
AG
Adam's driveshafts makes a 1310 front drive shaft that would work for you if you want to get a new front DS. That's what I used with my 3.5" lift and haven't had any issues. I think they measure and make them specific for a Jeep to get the measurements just right, but can't recall.

I opted to not go with the exhaust spacers and used an AFE y-pipe instead. It's definitely more expensive but it worked great. This is the part number for a manual unlimited. AFE Y-PIPE 12-12 JK 4DR 3.6L MANU TRANS 49-46230.

just some thoughts.
javajaws
AG
That y-pipe being so close to your fuel lines doesn't bother you? That's probably the only thing keeping me from getting one of those. I sit idling a lot of times and the fact you have to put heat reflective tape on those lines scares the crap out of me.
BQRyno
AG
Pulled the trigger on a 3.5 inch Metalcloak lift with Fox shocks, an exhaust spacer, Nitto mud grappler 35s, and 1.5 inch spacers. Waiting on parts to come in, then I'll get the install done.
BQRyno
AG
After waiting about a month thanks to some travel for work, I finally got my lift and tires installed. Not the best picture, but it'll do for now. Really pleased with how it turned out.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Can we get an update?

How does that lift ride?

My dad & I are working out a deal where I may sell my TJ & build up his JK Unlimited for my use.
BQRyno
AG
Been a while since I updated this. I've checked a few more things off the list...

Grabars
Ace Rock Sliders
Electric Hoist in the garage
SpiderWebShade
Fuel Door
Locking Gas Cap
Doors Off Mirrors
Lock Box
Cargo Mat
3.5" Metalcloak Lift with Fox Shocks
35" Nitto Trail Grapplers
Teraflex Hinged Carrier
Tail Light Protectors

Next on the agenda are a Bestop soft top and half doors and new JW Speakers LEDs all around.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Rule 1!
CATAGBQ04
BQRyno
AG
My bad! Used to use photbucket. What's the best photo site these days?
The Wonderer
AG
BQRyno said:

My bad! Used to use photbucket. What's the best photo site these days?
imgur.com
BQRyno
AG
Couple pictures from Big Bend and one of the new-ish rock sliders. I also took the end caps off the front bumper. I'll need to take some pics when the weather is nice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.