I hope Belton ISD can stay open

5,325 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by OutdoorAg
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife is a teacher at Lake Belton High School and they have a serious issue with staffing. Entire departments are missing over 50% of their staff due to positive cases and quarantines. Tomorrow they will be sending kids to different classrooms just to keep them occupied. This is not just teachers but coaches, food & drink, transportation, admint, etc.

I feel like the Super is doing everything he can right now. Most would have caved.

Hopefully when this batch comes back next week we do not have another batch going out.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
c-jags
agsalaska said:

My wife is a teacher at Lake Belton High School and they have a serious issue with staffing. Entire departments are missing over 50% of their staff due to positive cases and quarantines. Tomorrow they will be sending kids to different classrooms just to keep them occupied. This is not just teachers but coaches, food & drink, transportation, admint, etc.

I feel like the Super is doing everything he can right now. Most would have caved.

Hopefully when this batch comes back next week we do not have another batch going out.

I'm sure Templeton can pipe in as well, but we're struggling as well, staff and students.

It seems incredibly mild from most of the people I've talked to fortunately, but this thing does spread like wildfire.

If this was happening 3 years ago, I'd have thought it was the most contagious strain of flu I've ever seen.
agsalaska
AG
Yep.

And these are not asymptomatic people being quarantined. Most of these people are sick. The vast majority. At least that is the case at Lake Belton.

I am off next week and am considering subbing if it help keep the school open. Trying to talk to of my buddies into it as well.

Edit-to be clear so I do not trigger someone, sick as in 'I feel like **** this sucks' sick. Not dying at Scott & White sick.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
OutdoorAg
AG
I agree that the sup is doing everything he can to keep schools open. That being said, I really think if we can get through these next two weeks, we are going to see a sharp decline in cases.
BohunkAg
AG
These ISDs all over have not adjusted their quarantine policies to match the severity (or lack thereof) of omicron. It's a bit maddening.
agsalaska
AG
BohunkAg said:

These ISDs all over have not adjusted their quarantine policies to match the severity (or lack thereof) of omicron. It's a bit maddening.

While that is true that is not the problem right now. according to my wife at least most of the teachers out and the students are actually ill. It is not a matter of asymptotic go home anyway policies.

Middle of the week this week they told the teachers to stop sending students to the nurse because they had too many kids there.

Science department has 4 of 9 teachers out. All home with fevers. Math Department has 3 of 9 out and the same thing.

Pretty sure we will see the ISD let anyone over it come back as soon as they can next week.

mazzag
AG
I know it's not funny but a friend that teaches at an elementary posted this in Facebook. She did say folks that work in the administration building are subbing.
agsalaska
AG
28 teachers out at Lake Belton High today and according to my wife they are virtually all symptomatic.

They did pull it off today thought.

Off to the Monster Truck Rally at the expo!!
c-jags
BohunkAg said:

At first I was really questioning your comment (taking it that you meant omicron is really really bad) but then reread and understood.

From all my contacts' experience, it seems to be a good kick in the butt, but over quickly. Obviously some are suffering worse but my friends and their kids ( lower 50s to lower 30s) it appears to be a two day bug and then back at it.

While I'd probably handle things a perhaps bit more loosely, it does really seem like it's going to burn through the younger populace like wildfire and hopefully flame out quickly. It's very easy to second guess the quarantine decisions. For people in charge of schools or churches, the amount of people in their ears either way has to be difficult.
OutdoorAg
AG
If a teacher or student is truly sick, then by all means stay home. However, if they are just experiencing the same symptoms that you do from a bad cold, then wear a mask and get back to work.
Tube
Salado is closing for the remainder of the week. Not due to number of kids cases, but staffing shortages due to teachers being out.
Spotted Ag
AG
BohunkAg said:

THIS THIS THIS. The bozo superintendents are sending people home bc they have a runny nose and tested "positive". Damned morons.
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
templeton
OutdoorAg said:

If a teacher or student is truly sick, then by all means stay home. However, if they are just experiencing the same symptoms that you do from a bad cold, then wear a mask and get back to work.
This is difficult when the governor has forbidden schools from requiring masks.
mazzag
AG
templeton said:

OutdoorAg said:

Has the governor forbidden individuals for choosing to wear masks? To each their own but next time you're at HEB checking out, they sell the K95 masks. It's a 2 pack. And it says on the back that the product will not protect the wearer from bacterial or viral infections. My hygienist happily has her young girls wear baby yoda masks every day. The governor has not sent her a cease and desist letter.
OutdoorAg
AG
templeton said:

OutdoorAg said:

I think you missed my point. What im saying is, if you just have cold like symptoms, then wear a mask and go to work. Don't use cold symptoms as an excuse to get to stay home for 2 weeks. While omicron is extremely transmissible, it's very similar to a cold. There is no reason to stay home from work.
templeton
mazzag said:

templeton said:

OutdoorAg said:

Has the governor forbidden individuals for choosing to wear masks? To each their own but next time you're at HEB checking out, they sell the K95 masks. It's a 2 pack. And it says on the back that the product will not protect the wearer from bacterial or viral infections. My hygienist happily has her young girls wear baby yoda masks every day. The governor has not sent her a cease and desist letter.
Huh? Masks aren't forbidden in public schools. It is forbidden for public schools to require any students or teachers (symptomatic or not) to wear a mask.
templeton
OutdoorAg said:

templeton said:

OutdoorAg said:

I think you missed my point. What im saying is, if you just have cold like symptoms, then wear a mask and go to work. Don't use cold symptoms as an excuse to get to stay home for 2 weeks. While omicron is extremely transmissible, it's very similar to a cold. There is no reason to stay home from work.
How did I miss your point? You said if a teacher or student is sick with cold symptoms, they should wear a mask and go to school. I said that was tricky since the governor says you can't require anyone to wear a mask in public schools.

That non-N95 masks aren't protecting again omicron is another reason your recommendation would be ineffective.
mazzag
AG
Calm down. Wear one if you want. That's the point. It's individual FREEDOM.
mazzag
AG
templeton said:

OutdoorAg said:

templeton said:

OutdoorAg said:

How did I miss your point? You said if a teacher or student is sick with cold symptoms, they should wear a mask and go to school. I said that was tricky since the governor says you can't require anyone to wear a mask in public schools.

That non-N95 masks aren't protecting again omicron is another reason your recommendation would be ineffective.

Moronic

See how I did that...it's a cold. A sheety cold that affects folks differently. I got over it in less than a week. My hubs is still suffering. He's the bread winner. What mask do you recommend
templeton
mazzag said:

do you have me confused with another poster?

i don't want to wear a mask. unless it's an N95 there's no point anyway.

mazzag
AG
You want the governor to mandate it.
mazzag
AG
That's the difference.
templeton
i absolutely do not.

either you have me confused with another poster or you have a reading comprehension problem.
mazzag
AG
templeton said:

mazzag said:

And even an N95 not sealed properly is worthless.
templeton
mazzag said:

templeton said:

mazzag said:

worthless is absurd hyperbole, but yes. we have confirmed spread through N95 masks at BSWH.
mazzag
AG
I have plenty of nurse friends that have CONFIRMED the masks. If it doesn't fit, don't aquit.
mazzag
AG
It should be an individual's choice to wear a mask.
mazzag
AG
They don't work. Obviously...but just because it's not a mandatory doesn't mean you can choose to wear one.
c-jags
mazzag said:

It should be an individual's choice to wear a mask.
i believe that was tempelton's point. they're not in favor of forcing anybody to wear a mask, but if we're saying "if you have a mild cold, just wear a mask and go about your day," is great in theory and i completely support that. it's just that people aren't always honest or just flat out could be spreading it unknowingly.

it's the people that are sicker than a mild "cold" and don't want to report it for fear of being banished home from work or school or being forced into wearing a mask. so we have people that probably think it's just a cold, but could indeed be COVID/Omicron that probably should be wearing masks (i subscribe to the idea that masks are helpful for spittle or sneeze particles, but that's it) or staying home.

just this week i had a co-worker that came in to the office Monday (i work remote) and sounded pretty bad over a few phone calls. after a few conversations and i could tell the dude wasn't feeling good. i told him to just ask to head home. he was convinced it was a mild cold and that was all, he didn't need to go home. didn't want to go get tested... despite the fact that he had been tested 2x before this month when he had 0 symptoms. i finally had to tell my boss "John feels really awful and i think he's scared to ask off." So my boss talks to him and he goes home... and tested positive. We were all scheduled to be in the office Tuesday and it would have been a prime spreading event... all because the dude was too scared/stubborn to go home when he wasn't feeling well. and i can assure you that dude wouldn't have been wearing a mask in our meeting.

i'm as anti-mask, anti-lockdown, anti-mandate as anybody on TexAgs. the problem with any of this is the anecdote of my co-worker. he's not a dishonest person. he didn't want to be lazy and stay home from work. but because of the stigma and possible consequences of having COVID, he was instead trying to push through and carry on his day like everything was fine, when he should have just stayed home, or if we had all been in office the next day, worn masks around him (we ended up cancelling the meeting) because he was honest about not feeling well.

all this to say, it's an incredibly complicated place for employers, employees, teachers, and students to be in because nobody wants to get (what they feel like is) punished for a runny nose. Masks are an attempted mea culpa to not have to go crazy and send everybody home for every runny nose.

ETA: none of this is a defense or proponent of masking or current quarantine procedures. i'm simply saying that for schools in particular, i find it to be a difficult place to be in. especially with the poor leadership from the CDC.

my 15 year old was in the room when my wife and i were talking about another CDC change to the rules a few weeks back and he said something along the lines of "those guys don't know what they're doing. why is anybody listening to them?" and i went over and shook his hand and said "welcome to your first day of realizing the government doesn't know what they're doing. it's going to be a long journey." i don't mean to make him inherently distrustful of the government or doctors, i have wonderful friends on both sides of the aisle with great and stupid opinions about COVID. i myself, have plenty of stupid opinions about COVID. it's just not easy to "make policy" to allow freedom and do the best to protect others without pissing off half the populace.
BohunkAg
AG
Spotted Ag said:

BohunkAg said:

THIS THIS THIS. The bozo superintendents are sending people home bc they have a runny nose and tested "positive". Damned morons.
I don't think the ISDs have a choice. It's a TEA and CDC thing is my understanding. Plus, they are erring on the safe side. Your local school admins aren't the enemy here in most cases.

And yes, as an earlier poster stated, not having teachers is the problem in a lot of places.

Psst, don't test and you won't test positive.
BohunkAg
AG
mazzag said:

templeton said:

mazzag said:

Correct. N95s are supposed to be fitted to the user's face. Just willy nilly giving people a bunch of N95 masks is silly. Plus, they hurt like hell if you wear them all day.
agsalaska
AG
So my wife finally fell out on Friday with Covid. And I am not feeling too hot today.

Couple of thoughts

The trick is not to get tested. My kids had it all week. My 10 year old missed all week and my daughter missed Tue-Wed. If there was school today my son would be back. Now my teacher wife is out. But if you don't test you just go back as soon as you are ready. We actually discussed this with the nurses at both their schools.

The teachers that I know at least are doing everything they can to get back and keep the schools open. I do not think there are many that are just sitting home because they can. Yes I would like to see the 10 day thing go away. But from what I can tell, and this is dozens of teachers, is it is kicking a lot of their butts pretty good. It has knocked out my wife.

Belton has, overall, done a fantastic job staying open. When you step away from the rah rah and the keyboard and look at the overall big picture I am amazed they have pulled it off. We had high school coaches driving elementary school buses on Thu-Fr because they had the CDLs. They are the back up to the back up bus drivers I guess. My wife all week had random kids assigned to her class learning different subjects because entire departments are out.

But in the end the Sup and Board are listening and responding to the community. And the school employees are kicking some ass in a very difficult situation.

Matsui
AG
Does the school have to close if positivity rate goes above 5%?
agsalaska
AG
Hope not because right now they are at 4.93%

I am pretty sure they do not.

They did on Friday change the come back rule to 5 days from 10.
c-jags
agsalaska said:

Hope not because right now they are at 4.93%

I am pretty sure they do not.

They did on Friday change the come back rule to 5 days from 10.

I believe the 5% rule is not in effect anymore. Salado shut down because of no teachers, not the 5% rule unless I'm mistaken.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.