How is Rockport?

2,908 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brush Country Ag
AJ02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking of taking a trip down there the weekend of Muster. Haven't been in a couple of years. We drove through it a couple of months after Harvey, but wasn't sure how things are looking now.
Gulf Coast Aggie
AG
It is progressing, but slowly on the repairs. A lot of clean up has been done. Most of the motels and restaurants are back in business, but not all. Some of the residences are totaled, and a lot haven't began repairs yet. It seems that it may be a couple years before total restoration is done, and some will be longer. Hardly any piers have been rebuilt.
will.mcg
AG
It's still worth the trip
petey88

Been hanging out in Rockport for a few weeks. Only second time been here, first was about a week before the hurricane last summer. I was pretty shocked this time to see what it looks like, but I guess I can second what Gulf Coast Aggie said.

Out on Hwy 35 a little south of town, there was maybe a mile of debris piled up maybe 20 feet high in the median. Lines of trucks/ large open trailers being loaded, stuff being hauled off. That pile has diminished quite a bit in recent weeks

The Beall's store reopened yesterday I saw on the news. I think it was Hampton Inn that was still fenced off and not open. Still lots of utility and construction workers everywhere. They were hanging red traffic stop lights yesterday at the intersection by the the post office. Many of the small tourist shops down by the marina area were still not open, but haven't been back by there in a about a month.

I went over to Port Aransas one day before spring break. It seems to be recovering a bit quicker, but could tell there was a push to get ready for spring break. I saw on the Corpus news a few day later that only 900 of the 3600 hotel rooms would be ready for the breakers.

It's going to be awhile before it gets back to what I enjoyed last summer.
jsmith2016
Definitely worth the trip, my parents go frequently! Definitely hit up the Sugar Shack on Friday or Saturday, it's a rowdy good time, there's a great cover band/artist named Jenelle that KILLS it. Also Bill's Drunk Bus is a LIFESAVER.
Mark Fairchild
AG
We are doing much better now. Not fully back, that will take some more time (read years). Biggest problem for visitors right now is lodging and eating out. Cannot tell you exactly how many of the motel/hotels are back in service, but certainly not the full compliment before the storm. Also, eating out is limited unless you go for the tourist trap stuff like Boiling Pot. Have one good Mexican food place, Los Camoles and that is about it. There is a new place that will open soon, 2 to 4 months, The Italian Cowboy, but other than fast food that is about it. Downtown area is sketchy. Beach is GREAT the effort there is amazing. If ya fish, our only problem now is WIND, WIND, WIND. Did I mention it is very windy, sucks for fly fishing or really almost any kind as we have Small Craft warnings almost continuously.

Was in Port A yesterday and they are really making progress. Destruction is, of course, still present and not all businesses are open.

Am an Old Ag so cannot advise on Honky Tonks or beer joints, need younger input on those.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Ag In Ok
AG
Any predictions for late May? Has Paradise Key opened back up? I didn't hear or see anything on that place though the boat storage barn looked like a lost cause. We are very much ready to get back.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Paradise Key has been open a while, albeit a tad smaller from a menu standpoint. Also the outdoor area was still closed when we went a month or so ago. The food wasn't as good either. May be better now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.