CDUB98 said:
kubiak03 said:
August has always been balls hot, but what I've noticed the last decade or so is the lack of summer pop ups we would always get.
I agree here.
My first decade in Houston was the 00s. Seemed sea breeze/pop up storms were much more common in the summer, but ever since the 2011-2013 drought, it seems August is just a level up more miserable and dry.
I'm not saying those are facts, which is why I said seems, but man, some cooling rain each day would be nice.
I was born and raised here in Houston and I particularly hated those types of summers in the 80's and 90's. We were consistently geting rained out at the pool, or Astroworld/Waterworld. Lots of afternoon showers.
But to me, those rainy summers were not really the norm...if anything, rainy vs dry summers were 50/50 at most. Also, I think those pop-ups way back then were far more likely in June, July and September, than August. I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it.
But I always come back to the pavement....there is just so much more of it. And it seems to basically store energy and then radiate in the evening and early at night. I'd be more interested in seeing the date for small rural towns...like El Campo, or Smithville etc. I wonder if these places are getting significantly warmer and more arid.