Houston
Sponsored by

Mosquitoes

10,598 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by 94chem
CLB2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wtf!
I have never seen them like this. Just looked out on my patio and the entire ceiling is covered in them. The corners of the ceiling are black, because they are that thick. Im in Spring Branch. Someone I know in Sugar Land said the same there.

We have had rain before. But this is insane. What gives?
BSD
AG
Same here. There were a few hundred on my back porch this morning. I've never seen anything like it.
Sazerac
AG
They are all hiding out in my front shrubs and mulch. Dog ran through the bed and a blanket of black ascended. I've never seen anything like it.
bigjag19
AG
I double fogged entire yard and sprayed on all edges of house yesterday. Helped immensely.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Yup same in 77079. Lots of neighbors reported same thing this morning.
CDUB98
AG
Yup.

They exploded yesterday. Pretty sure I lost a pint of blood last night walking from my truck to the house.
Forum Troll
AG
Reminds me of the time I forgot my bug spray when launching my kayak in a saltwater marsh.
Cromagnum
AG
Drove along 288 Saturday night and my truck was completely coated with dead ones when I got home. The smell was awful as I sprayed them off. Easily 1000s of bodies.
CDUB98
AG
Cromagnum said:

Easily 1000s of bodies.
Excellent work.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
how are yall attacking them? I fog but was thinking of trying the granules.
Cromagnum
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

how are yall attacking them? I fog but was thinking of trying the granules.

I spray my entire yard with Bifenthrin and also spray the outside walls of my house and flower beds. I have to wait for my yard to dry enough to actually drag my broadcast sprayer though.
AgLiving06
I had success with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Talak-Indoor-Outdoor-Insect-Control/dp/B0C1Q39Q9R/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1TAMJ7Z5EK1FL&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.460RZjI1O1KBE7NHDVeKLqXbpzrTftgk_hh2NAWx-ntRcJ27lwju8UZlKWKiea8CHEHJlq1B2Oa0eK3sToz_tBX1uvW5bThkS6try-QjR8NJ5DxrQkrkq9H7MXl5YLJog6sNcnQjYK_gYU-Hje5JhlunxQR_9Z6_vW8x55vhLzw.ZqCpVHJ8kh-dXbILhNtTlTeg1ySCQ68eo9qBICzxjHA&dib_tag=se&keywords=talak+7.9&qid=1721136783&sprefix=talak+7.9%2Caps%2C281&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Going to respray it...probably should have a week or 2 ago.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I have tried the Cutter yard spray with Lambda-Cyhalothrin several times this summer and have to say I am disappointed. The hose end sprayer is much more convenient than the backpack sprayer with Bifen I used before, but I will be switching back.
94chem
One ounce of Bifen XTS and one ounce of Tekko Pro per one gallon of water in a pump up sprayer. I mist my entire 1.2 acre lot about 3 - 5 times per year, including indoor and entry spot treatments. Kills mosquitoes and roaches, and nukes ant beds if you saturate the top. Usually takes 3 gallons. I could pay a pro to do the same job half as well with the same chemicals and pay 5x as much, but I figure I can do it myself with my chemistry degrees.

Bifen kills the live ones, and Tekko kills the egg cycle. Yard will be mosquito-free within 2 days.

You're welcome.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
NukeAg10
AG
This safe if you have pets constantly in the yard?
Diggity
AG
Quote:

Q Is Bifen IT safe for domestic pets? I have three dogs, and I am scared to use chemicals.
A Bifen IT is safely used in thousands of homes across the country everyday. Bifen IT is safe for use around pets when used according to the label. You should always keep children and pets away from the away while you are treating, and then once the treatment is dry it is perfectly safe to allow pets to re-enter the area
looks like it. This is the same chemical

https://www.domyown.com/bifen-it-p-226.html
William Foster
I know NOTHING about biology, insect life, or hurricanse...but is it possible that millions or moquitos or larvae were imported from the Gulf Coast by the storm? They were HORRIBLE on Bolivar (bay side) a few days before ths storm.
BowSowy
AG
It's not often talked about, but you bring up a good point about the trafficking of mosquitoes under disguise of the storm.

No. It's because there was a whole bunch of sitting water around following the storm
William Foster
BowSowy said:

It's not often talked about, but you bring up a good point about the trafficking of mosquitoes under disguise of the storm.

No. It's because there was a whole bunch of sitting water around following the storm
I know this, trust me. I live behind a big field that pretty much sat wet for weeks on end in May. It was horrible in parts of Cypress, as these areas were perfect breeding/hatching grounds.

Just didn't know if they could be pushed in certain direction by weather events. Prob a very stupid question, as logically, I don't see how they could survive. But the winds from May 16 and this storms didn't seem to kill many if any here.
Sea Speed
AG
Diggity said:

Quote:

Q Is Bifen IT safe for domestic pets? I have three dogs, and I am scared to use chemicals.
A Bifen IT is safely used in thousands of homes across the country everyday. Bifen IT is safe for use around pets when used according to the label. You should always keep children and pets away from the away while you are treating, and then once the treatment is dry it is perfectly safe to allow pets to re-enter the area
looks like it. This is the same chemical

https://www.domyown.com/bifen-it-p-226.html

You can also get it on Amazon.

Anecdotal, I've been using Bifen IT for years in my house with kids and pets. No issies.

BIFEN XTS is like the nuclear version but don't use it inside.
94chem
BIFEN XTS is the same stuff, just more concentrated. I buy it in bulk to save money, and just dilute it down.

Most of you are applying imidacloprid directly to your pets. BIFEN in the grass ain't gonna hurt anything. If it does, it will be you, not your pets. They'll die of old age first.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
htxag09
AG
The treatment we're doing monthly via our pest control company must be working because I had no idea they've been bad......and my son and I are outside every day.
AgLiving06
The treatment I did yesterday made a material difference in the bugs. I'm going to respray after the ran comes this weekend as a booster spray, but considering what I was paying for Mosquito joe...I'm $100s of dollars ahead every year.
shihitemuslim
AG
I probably killed like 100 this last couple of days with the tennis swat device. Afterwards there are not that many. But I got bitten by three quickly today at Memorial High School. There were a lot by the doors and windows
Sea Speed
AG
I get that, but I also believe one is water based and one is oil based. Water based in my home, around perimeter and lawn and oil based used for fire ant genocide.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I can definitely tell the difference between my backyard which gets OFF! backyard spray and my front yard which got nothing for a while. The backyard was the annoying mosquito, the front yard was a feast.
Cromagnum
AG
Walking outside yesterday evening...

oklaunion
William Foster said:

I know NOTHING about biology, insect life, or hurricanse...but is it possible that millions or moquitos or larvae were imported from the Gulf Coast by the storm? They were HORRIBLE on Bolivar (bay side) a few days before ths storm.
Interesting question. I remember back in the mid 70s a hurricane hit norther Mexico and brought butterflies that had not been seen in Central Texas before. I was doing an insect collection and was into that.
That said, my concern, perhaps unfounded, is that some mosquitos carrying Zika and Dengue Fever were forced up here. The numbers y'all are talking about are local bred however.
94chem
Sea Speed said:

I get that, but I also believe one is water based and one is oil based. Water based in my home, around perimeter and lawn and oil based used for fire ant genocide.

Yeah, I just don't think it makes a difference in a 1:128 water dilution.

The raspberry ants seem slightly harder to kill, perhaps because they are already neurodivergent.
94chem,
Sea Speed
AG
XTS kills ant piles in minutes if not seconds and IT doesn't, so that's all I need to see to know it makes a difference. I carry the sprayer on my mower and spray every mound I run over.
94chem
Yeah, you'll never buy Amdro after using that stuff. I love the way they wander around aimlessly for a few minutes before they keel over.
94chem,
Sea Speed
AG
The piles of thousands of dead ants on the top of the scraped pile after it all dried is so satisfying to see
bigjag19
AG
This just makes me think "I love the smell of napalm in the morning"
jrrhouston98
AG
100% malathion oil in a pump up sprayer diluted with water. Hook up to my leaf blower and spray the side of the house, yard, trees, flower beds, and under eaves and patios. Stinks for a day but zero mosquitos. They're hanging out at the fence line but don't dare come in.
maroon barchetta
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.