Houston
Sponsored by

Home generator thread

44,065 Views | 509 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TXTransplant
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm worried about flow/volume powering the generator. Plus line is already run
P.H. Dexippus
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm worried about flow/volume powering the generator. Plus line is already run

I have my Westinghouse on a quick connect 3/4" hose with a 1/2" reducer. Works fine. The 1/2" hose is more questionable.
Diggity
AG
If the inlet on the Westinghouse is 1/2", I don't think there's anything you can do to increase the pressure.
AgLiving06
Reduce it from 3/4 to 1/2. My neighbor had a big Westinghouse and it ran just fine when he reduced it.

Not sure why this works because the engine is big, but it does and it ran great.
byfLuger41
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

byfLuger41 said:

TJaggie14 said:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you?
Also why Kohler over Generac?

I wanna say it was between 25-30 installed.

Kohler had slightly better warranty benefits when I closed and I have experience with their products on the commercial side. You frequently see commercial properties/businesses with Kohlers when installing full service Gen sets.

Generac is by no means a bad product, just personal preference. I will say again, liquid cooled is the way to go and both the aforementioned manufacturers make them. Whisper quiet and longer run times without needing oil/service, but increased cost.

If you want to minimize cost get an air cooled Generac.

HTH
Father in law getting a 30kw Kohler liquid cooled with a 10 year warranty for $36k.

Sounds about right after factoring a year later and post Beryl. He won't be disappointed, especially on the liquid cooled.
TO THE DROP ZONE!!!
Diggity
AG
Got my Westinghouse today and attempted to break it in.

Not having much luck so far. The generator starts up fine on NG but turns itself off after about 10 seconds.

I'm not sure if it's not getting enough pressure from the gas meter or what. Seems like it should be able to idle even if pressure is low but what do I know?

I'm planning on getting a propane tank to test that out and try to isolate the issue. Would rather not put any gasoline in there if I can avoid it.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If you use gas, get ethanol free.

I've been waiting months for a shop to open a spot to have my westing house worked on. Going to drop it off next Friday and its a 4 week turnaround.
Diggity
AG
Well crap. Now I wish I had held out for the Duramax!
3rdGenAg05
AG
Did it come with a 1/2" fitting and hose? My 13kw duromax requires 3/4"

Also, do you have an upgraded, high flow gas meter (if you have a pool heater you probably do).
Diggity
AG
3rdGenAg05 said:

Did it come with a 1/2" fitting and hose? My 13kw duromax requires 3/4"

Also, do you have an upgraded, high flow gas meter (if you have a pool heater you probably do).

Yeah, the hose is 1/2" on both ends.

I don't think the meter is upgraded, but i would have hoped my plumber would have mentioned me needing that.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Yeah, I cannot quote you a required flow rate off hand, but I know to have pool heater installed, we had to upgrade our meter from CP to allow more gas (or maybe higher pressure). When I mentioned running a generator off that, several people said I'd have to have that upgraded meter. Again, I cannot vouch for that being your issue, but my generator fires right up off nat gas.
AlaskanAg99
AG
It's because I ran gas with corn juice through this thing. Even though I ran it dry something is gummed up.

I blame the fuel, not the machine.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
You added the engine oil, right? Floated the neutral if plugging into the house?

The sizing on the Westinghouse hoses is suspect at 1/2" depending on what you read. I have a 3/4" pipe fitting coming off the meter for mine that seems to help

https://motorsnorkel.com/installation-information-and-pipe-sizing/

https://www.elliottelectric.com/StaticPages/ElectricalReferences/Guides/generator-fuel-line-sizing-for-natural-gas-and-propane.aspx

https://www.uscarburetion.com/natural-gas.htm
Diggity
AG
So you reduce the 3/4" at the end of the run and then connect to the 1/2" quick connect inlet?

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Correct

From the first link:
Though a generator may need 3/4 or larger pipe to the generator, a 1/2 hook-up hose is usually sufficient if kept short.
Diggity
AG
That might be my next step if the propane works.

Do you have a link to the hose you bought? Was hoping not to have to buy anything else, but got to get the damn thing working.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
https://a.co/d/1tOg5a7

There may be better deals out there but this is what I bought
Diggity
AG
Thanks
Diggity
AG
I ran the generator on a fresh tank of propane and it's the same issue.

I'm at a bit of a loss at this point. I filled the damn thing up with the supplied oil, so not sure what else it could be.

Guess I'll be calling Westinghouse.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Check the sparkplug. It's at least starting for a few seconds?

And make sure the cables to the battery are tightened on the posts.
terradactylexpress
I've also seen that the Westinghouse generators are recommended to replace the plug
MSL Ag
AG
Anyone here running a generator off a 50 foot 1/2 inch natural gas hose? If so, any starvation issues from the generator?

I have a Westinghouse Wgen10500tfc and am currently using the 25 foot 1/2 natural gas hose that came with the generator, but that won't reach into my back yard where I'd prefer to run it. I'm looking at getting a 40 foot hose made from AB3 Power but I want to get some experiences from other first before spending another $200 on a different hose.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Diggity
AG
it starts for a few seconds and then stops suddenly. Not like "sputter out"...but like the engine was killed suddenly.

None of the warning lights for low oil or CO are on, but could be a fault there I suppose.

By "check the sparkplug"....what am I checking for? should I just replace it with the NGK that everyone suggests so I can try to isolate that issue?
AgLiving06
Diggity said:

Got my Westinghouse today and attempted to break it in.

Not having much luck so far. The generator starts up fine on NG but turns itself off after about 10 seconds.

I'm not sure if it's not getting enough pressure from the gas meter or what. Seems like it should be able to idle even if pressure is low but what do I know?

I'm planning on getting a propane tank to test that out and try to isolate the issue. Would rather not put any gasoline in there if I can avoid it.

There should be a choke on there that you might have to mess around with to line it out. But it should definitely run normal otherwise.
Diggity
AG
I'll buy you a 6 pack if you come help me diagnose this thing
terradactylexpress
I replaced mine with the ngk plug before I ran it so can't give any advice but I'd say it's an easy swap to eliminate an option
Diggity
AG
Yeah, we can cross the spark plug off the list. New plug didn't change anything.
Flaith
AG
How charged is the battery? I've heard of some weird things happening if you let the battery charge get too low.
Diggity
AG
Westinghouse comes with a plug in charger, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Flaith
AG
Did you plug it in and charge it before starting it up?

I've also read that some of the selector switch blocks have been getting installed incorrectly from the factory. Try running the generator on Propane on the NG selection and vice versa.
Diggity
AG
Flaith said:

Did you plug it in and charge it before starting it up?

I've also read that some of the selector switch blocks have been getting installed incorrectly from the factory. Try running the generator on Propane on the NG selection and vice versa.
Yeah, I don't think the battery is the issue since I had it charged all night.

The thing starts right up...it just doesn't stay running.

I've tried every fuel setting under the sun. I'm thinking it might be a busted sensor but need to have Westinghouse diagnose.
Post removed:
by user
Diggity
AG
It could be the low oil sensor. Westinghouse support is telling me to return it, which doesn't help a bunch since the thing is out of stock.

I'm hesitant to run gasoline there, because even if that works, it doesn't help my problem.

I don't think this model has the "low idle" switch
Post removed:
by user
AgLiving06
Diggity said:

It could be the low oil sensor. Westinghouse support is telling me to return it, which doesn't help a bunch since the thing is out of stock.

I'm hesitant to run gasoline there, because even if that works, it doesn't help my problem.

I don't think this model has the "low idle" switch

That sucks! I was gonna text you and come take a look. Downside of them churning these things out as fast as possible. Quality is suspect at times.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.