Houston
Sponsored by

Another golf cart-involved accident

24,428 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JCA1
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Escalade driver was 21yo and lives in a multi-million dollar house.
wessimo
AG
And was intoxicated (no surprise) according to recent news reports.
chlavinka
AG
You know she's a T-sip?

Where is Towne Lake, by the way? This is not the Town Lake in Austin I presume.
Cole Trickle
AG
I live a couple of roads over from where this happened. I lived in a golf course community growing up where all the kids drove their parents golf carts around starting around 7th grade. But, it was a 30mph residential community with no busy roads in it, so everyone knew to be aware. Towne Lake is NOT that. 45mph+ roads with construction and poor lighting. I have to imagine this is going to change how the local police choose to enforce the laws regarding this going forward, as well as the HOA.

I'm 43 and could absolutely see myself being in this scenario. Grab the golf cart, pick up the buddies, go watch a UFC fight and have some drinks. Safer than driving a multi-ton vehicle around that could kill someone else. Fun Saturday night gone wrong. Horrible situation. 4 families lives ruined.
Dimebag Darrell
Guitarsoup said:

There's some "weird money" up here in the nicer areas near the lake close to where this happened. A few places give cartel money vibes and some give rapper/nba player ones. But rest of the place is 99% normal families.
MelvinUdall
Dimebag Darrell
chlavinka said:

You know she's a T-sip?

Where is Towne Lake, by the way? This is not the Town Lake in Austin I presume.

Yep, so is my wife. I'm a bad ag.

It's just east of fry from Bridgeland….spans from just north of Cypress N Houston to just south of west rd. We really like the area more than I expected.
Dimebag Darrell
MelvinUdall said:

Ragoo said:

maroon barchetta said:

Ragoo said:

sts7049 said:

stupid actions have consequences
I mean, you don't know the circumstances.

Driving a golf cart on a city street at 3am. We know that.
do you know that? That is a confusing 4 way stop with construction to widen to 4 lanes and the addition of traffic lights. Maybe they were crossing the street or avoiding an area where the side walk is ripped up/under construction.

They are driving a golf cart at 3AM, that is all that needs to be known.

And a drunk driver with small child in the car blew through a stop sign smashing them. Just a small detail. I get that we tend to blame victims, and yeah, driving a cart at 3am comes with slightly elevated risk, but geez.
Guitarsoup
AG
Brittmoore Car Club said:

Guitarsoup said:

There's some "weird money" up here in the nicer areas near the lake close to where this happened. A few places give cartel money vibes and some give rapper/nba player ones. But rest of the place is 99% normal families.
He home that he has listed is owned by the owner of an office furniture company. Maybe a stepson or something.
tylercsbn9
AG

Guitarsoup said:

There's some YouTube families there as well. Ryan's Toy World or whatever live there. I know another one as well but can't remember their names. I have a friend who taught their kid at the elementary school there
Dimebag Darrell
Cole Trickle said:

I live a couple of roads over from where this happened. I lived in a golf course community growing up where all the kids drove their parents golf carts around starting around 7th grade. But, it was a 30mph residential community with no busy roads in it, so everyone knew to be aware. Towne Lake is NOT that. 45mph+ roads with construction and poor lighting. I have to imagine this is going to change how the local police choose to enforce the laws regarding this going forward, as well as the HOA.

I'm 43 and could absolutely see myself being in this scenario. Grab the golf cart, pick up the buddies, go watch a UFC fight and have some drinks. Safer than driving a multi-ton vehicle around that could kill someone else. Fun Saturday night gone wrong. Horrible situation. 4 families lives ruined.

Yep, exactly. And a lot of drivers going 60+ mph on roads like Greenhouse, West and Tuckerton.
Sea Speed
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

Guitarsoup said:

There's some YouTube families there as well. Ryan's Toy World or whatever live there. I know another one as well but can't remember their names. I have a friend who taught their kid at the elementary school there

35 million people subscribe to that. Wtf. I hate this world.
agnerd
AG
From the article:
Quote:

golf carts are only permitted to be operated during the daytime.
Hope this technicality doesn't allow the drunk to get a light or reduced sentence. If he wasn't drunk and was just messing with his phone, he'd only be getting a traffic ticket for killing 3 people instead of felony murder.
Dimebag Darrell
Sea Speed said:

tylercsbn9 said:

Guitarsoup said:

The guy who created those creepy ass Cocomelon vids is worth like $150mm. Pisses me off every time my daughter wants to watch "wheels on the bus".
sts7049
AG

MelvinUdall said:

Ragoo said:

maroon barchetta said:

Ragoo said:

sts7049 said:

stupid actions have consequences
I mean, you don't know the circumstances.

Driving a golf cart on a city street at 3am. We know that.
do you know that? That is a confusing 4 way stop with construction to widen to 4 lanes and the addition of traffic lights. Maybe they were crossing the street or avoiding an area where the side walk is ripped up/under construction.

They are driving a golf cart at 3AM, that is all that needs to be known.

And a drunk driver with small child in the car blew through a stop sign smashing them. Just a small detail. I get that we tend to blame victims, and yeah, driving a cart at 3am comes with slightly elevated risk, but geez.

it's a lot more elevated if they also had drinks themselves
Big Al 1992
AG
agnerd said:

From the article:
Quote:

Hope this technicality doesn't allow the drunk to get a light or reduced sentence. If he wasn't drunk and was just messing with his phone, he'd only be getting a traffic ticket for killing 3 people instead of felony murder.

Pretty sure if you hit a golf cart - or another car or pedestrian - and they are hurt or killed because you were messing w your phone, you are getting more than a traffic ticket.

Thinking of and praying for those families this week and beyond.
sts7049
AG
bond set at 600k for the drunk driver
Whoop Delecto
AG
cajunaggie08
AG
Sea Speed said:

tylercsbn9 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm so glad my kids have finally aged out from wanting to watch that. Granted their next YouTube obsession is still annoying.
Guitarsoup
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Sea Speed said:

tylercsbn9 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm so glad my kids have finally aged out from wanting to watch that. Granted their next YouTube obsession is still annoying.

My daughter had moved on to Dude perfect and I won some major cool dad points for meeting them
Sea Speed
AG
Wow. I knew Wnuk. Oof.
Sea Speed
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

Sea Speed said:

tylercsbn9 said:

Guitarsoup said:

The only thing I let my kids watch on YouTube are science videos generally
98Ag99Grad
AG
Sad story all around. 3 families lost husbands/fathers and a 21 year old has possibly ruined his life. Get an uber if you're out drinking.
Guitarsoup
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Sad story all around. 3 families lost husbands/fathers and a 21 year old has possibly ruined his life. Get an uber if you're out drinking.

Five or six young fathers between 35-45 died in that neighborhood this summer
Nagler
AG
Wife worked with one of their wives. Couple really young kids at home. Really awful situation.
Big Al 1992
AG
There were a couple of guys that got mixed up in fentanyl - one football coach.
12Power
This is a freak tragic accident. It sounds like the perfect storm according to the details. I would not be surprised if some new laws and regulations would be forth coming with the expanded popularity of golf carts and more frequent accidents involving them. Condolences to the families involved.
Seamaster
AG
I live in a golf course neighborhood and pre-teen/teens drive them around all the time and speed and do stupid ****e. Its just a matter of time till something very tragic happens.

I blame the parents.
BG Knocc Out
This POS thug was driving an Escalade and ballin in a way nicer house than me and my family can afford. Hope they lock him up and throw away the key. Hoping his child can somehow find good parents too.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
I was in Woodforest two weeks ago. I was traveling a major thoroughfare in the neighborhood and was in the process of slowing to turn left onto a side street [blue arrow, no traffic signal/sign], when an approx. 15yo girl operating a souped up golf cart pulled out from that side street in front of me, cutting me off and blindly pulling into a lane of traffic [red arrow]. I'm not sure she knew how close she came to never going to prom.
BG Knocc Out
P.H. Dexippus said:

I was in Woodforest two weeks ago. I was traveling a major thoroughfare in the neighborhood and was in the process of slowing to turn left onto a side street [blue arrow, no traffic signal/sign], when an approx. 15yo girl operating a souped up golf cart pulled out from that side street in front of me, cutting me off and blindly pulling into a lane of traffic [red arrow]. I'm not sure she knew how close she came to never going to prom.

That's crazy, I've witnessed similar, but not quite that bad. As mentioned, in Cypress, you routinely see groups of girls that age and younger driving around in carts dancing to music or acting silly and seemingly paying half attention to their driving. I honestly can't believe their parents allow this...and I am the opposite of a helicopter parent, who wants my children to experience a lot of what I did growing up in the 80's. People haul ass on these roads. I could see letting them maybe drive around the subdivision, but along busy roads where people are routinely going 55-60mph, sometimes more? Hell to the no.

The other night was a tragic, freak incident. But I fear that eventually a kid or group of kids around here is going to end up in the news. I have seen them ease out halfway into driving lanes thinking they are still on the sidewalks, oblivious to the fact that they are completely at the mercy of motorists being 100% aware and making sure not to hit them.
Al Bula
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

Still accurate:

maroon barchetta
David Happymountain said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Still accurate:

I live more rural and see this a lot. A Ranger can really move, too.
Chewy
AG
Terrible situation all the way around.

It feels like golf carts are the new jet skis from two decades ago. A lot of inexperienced drivers and riders that don't understand the laws of physics.

It'll take some tragedies to create awareness which is sad.

Obviously these dudes just had some horrible horrible timing.
W
AG
agnerd said:

From the article:
Quote:

is it safe to say...that many people ignore that rule?

about no golf carts at night

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.