Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Texans

20,302 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by randy828
Dimebag Darrell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wasntme said:

Brittmoore Car Club said:

maroon barchetta said:

Is it smart to give six-year contract to a guy that has never been a head coach?
It's very "Aggie" and "Texans". Hope this time it somehow actually works out well, although I think I have pretty much morphed into a Cowboys fan. The Texans have never done anything for me but waste my time and let me down.
How's that working out for you?
Way better. They win way more games and win me money overall.
Dimebag Darrell
schmellba99 said:

Brittmoore Car Club said:

maroon barchetta said:

Is it smart to give six-year contract to a guy that has never been a head coach?
It's very "Aggie" and "Texans". Hope this time it somehow actually works out well, although I think I have pretty much morphed into a Cowboys fan. The Texans have never done anything for me but waste my time and let me down.
What have the Cowboys done for you that hasn't let you down and wasted your time?

The last time the Cowboys were relevant....I was just out of high school. And I'm not exactly young anymore.
Generally competitive during the regular seasons and fun to watch. They have been a cover machine for me a lot of the time too.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
draft day is here. Sounds like it will be a defensive player taking at #2 tonight. If that is the case, the #12 pick gets really interesting. Do they get one of the other QBs that are more of a project, try to trade back to get more picks, or draft the best player on the board? I would land on getting the best player on the board because we have so many holes on the roster.
Furlock Bones
AG
i truly don't know how people can maintain their Texans fandom.
FarmerJohn
AG
Well, it's not Bryce Young. You don't make the trade with Chicago for anyone else. I like Will Anderson at #2. The sizeable college LB moving into the Von Miller kind of role. At #12, C.J. Stroud would have to slide, but would still scare the crap out of me. His selling point is accuracy, but how much pressure did he face in the Big 10? Yes, he had a good game against Georgia but wasn't dominate at the end of the Big 10 campaign. I wouldn't be upset with a reach for Hendon Hooker. High completion percentage, didn't throw picks, and actually got better in SEC play. I think he made a leap in 2022.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Furlock Bones said:

i truly don't know how people can maintain their Texans fandom.
The only reason I am mildly interested is I feel like they made a great hire with DR and are set up to get back competitive with the amount of draft picks and $ for free agents.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I would absolutely take Hendon Hooker at 12, but it would be considered a reach by the media/.
Chewy
AG
I think a lot of people are realizing Hooker may be as good as any QB in this class. It's a real crapshoot on any of these guys. Young is by far the safest but his size obviously creates upside concerns.

Beyond Young you're really just taking a chance on a quality you like and hope it turns out.
GoAgs92
AG
Awful. Guy might have less smarts than VY.
GoAgs92
AG
Now that 3rd pick….nice
SockDePot
I despise the ownership of the Texans.

Hard not to be excited about this
Furlock Bones
AG
The Texans actually doing positive things. Wow.
StillNotAnAggie
Furlock Bones said:

They'll f it up somehow.
Serotonin
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Is giving up the #12 pick, their 2024 1st and 3rds a positive?

If Anderson is that good then just draft him at #2 and draft a QB at 12 or Caleb WIlliams next year.
Furlock Bones
AG
Yes they still have lots of picks. They got what they believe is a franchise QB and by all accounts one of the best pass rushers since JJ Watt.
agz win
AG
**** you, Bud Adams!
BQRyno
AG
GoAgs92 said:

Awful. Guy might have less smarts than VY.

Honestly don't care at all about the guy's intelligence (even the new "football intelligence") test because he obviously has talent as a qb. VY was a great athlete but never a good passer. That absolutely does not apply to Stroud, and I'm glad the Texans didn't overthink it.

It may pay off that they're morons and didn't get the #1 pick - how many teams have to spend high picks on midget qbs before they realize it doesn't pay off? I bet Young is better than Stroud in years 1 through maybe 3 and Stroud ends up with the better career.
FarmerJohn
AG
Vince Young was so dumb that t.u. had to run a single read passing offense for about his first year. If the designated receiver wasn't open, the plan was for Vince to run it. So C.J. Stroud can't possibly be that dumb. But we'll know pretty quick if he is worth what the Texans have up for him.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Regardless of what anyone thinks about if they gave up too much or not, they definitely made some noise yesterday that brought some excitement back to a franchise that had none. Plus, they said F U Bud and kept the Titans from getting Stroud & Hopkins in a trade with the Cardinals. That's a win-win in my book.
Serotonin
AG
I like Stroud better than Young on the NFL level. I like that the Texans played it safe with #2 and #3 and didn't overthink it (like the Colts).

Which 2024 1st did the Texans trade -- their own or the Browns?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Serotonin said:

I like Stroud better than Young on the NFL level. I like that the Texans played it safe with #2 and #3 and didn't overthink it (like the Colts).

their own. They are betting on being better than the Browns.

The Texans have 10 picks left in the 2023 NFL Draft.Houston has a pair of picks in the third and fourth rounds, a fifth-rounder, three in the sixth, and a pair of seventh-rounders.
The Thursday night deal was the seventh Draft Weekend trade by General Manager Nick Caserio since 2021. He made a pair of trades in 2021, and four last year.
Earlier this spring, Houston was awarded a compensatory seventh-rounder at 259th overall. It's the final pick of the NFL Draft.

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/texans-have-these-9-picks-remaining-in-2023-nfl-draft
Serotonin
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Serotonin said:

their own. They are betting on being better than the Browns.

The Texans have 10 picks left in the 2023 NFL Draft.Houston has a pair of picks in the third and fourth rounds, a fifth-rounder, three in the sixth, and a pair of seventh-rounders.
The Thursday night deal was the seventh Draft Weekend trade by General Manager Nick Caserio since 2021. He made a pair of trades in 2021, and four last year.
Earlier this spring, Houston was awarded a compensatory seventh-rounder at 259th overall. It's the final pick of the NFL Draft.

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/texans-have-these-9-picks-remaining-in-2023-nfl-draft
Was that the Texans' choice? If so I like the optimism...I guess.

But I'm guessing the Cards had a strong preference for the Texans first rounder.

The Browns should be pretty mediocre but somewhat close to .500.

The Texans will be in play for the 1.1 which will be worth a fortune with Caleb Williams in play.
Chewy
AG
The other thing to remember is the Texans play in what might be the worst division in football.

It won't take much to show a significant improvement from a record and even playoff standpoint.

Right or wrong they gambled Stroud is their future QB. You don't take him at #2 with any plans to draft a QB in the first round the next few years.
Serotonin
AG
Chewy said:

The other thing to remember is the Texans play in what might be the worst division in football.

It won't take much to show a significant improvement from a record and even playoff standpoint.

Right or wrong they gambled Stroud is their future QB. You don't take him at #2 with any plans to draft a QB in the first round the next few years.
Yeah, you'd take Anderson at #2, suck again this year and draft Caleb Williams next year (or whoever the best available QB is).

So basically it's:
Will Anderson
Caleb Williams
1.12 this year
Browns 1st next year
Your 3rd rounder next year

vs

Will Anderson
CJ Stroud

I'm not saying Stroud/Anderson is a bad combo, I really like the picks. It was just an inefficient way to get there.
Diggity
AG
I'm assuming he meant as trade bait
Serotonin
AG
Diggity said:

I'm assuming he meant as trade bait
Yeah, that's right. Assuming a scenario where the Texans have Stroud as their guy and landed the 1.1 next year they could charge a fortune for the pick. There are a lot of GMs and others hyping up Williams as the best QB since Mahomes so you could get rich quick.
BMX Bandit
you can't assume you would be able to get williams next year. so your comparison doesn't really hold up.

the texans have given very few reasons for people to trust them or think what they are doing will work out, but the moves yesterday were fantastic. will it work out? who knows. they still have a #1 pick next year. the extra pick is an asset, might as well use it to get someone that will likely be a star
Diggity
AG
probably a little optimistic/pessimistic to expect us to get the first pick next year.

I guarantee DR isn't planning on repeating the **** show that was this year
Serotonin
AG
That is true, although I do think the Texans will be in the mix for 1.1 with a few others.

Pre-draft they were tied with AZ for lowest wins at O/U of 5.5:
https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/win-totals/

But it's the NFL, there's a lot of variance.

Here's the comparison. Which bundle do you like best?

Scenario 1
Will Anderson
#12 this year
#33 this year
1st Rounder next year
3rd rounder next year

Scenario 2
CJ Stroud
#12 this year
#33 this year
1st Rounder next year
3rd rounder next year

Scenario 3
Will Anderson
CJ Stroud
#105 this year

My personal preference would be scenario 1, but I am very bearish on the Texans this season and think they'll have a top 5 pick again.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The more I am from the moment, the more I like the trade. Anderson seems like a pretty safe bet to be a good pro for several years. Anyone have any faith that those bozos would turn any of the picks they gave away into anything of substance? I don't.

Tomorrow is never today. Can't keep waiting for the full house on the deal.
MAS444
AG
I'm afraid Anderson is not that good (3rd pick of draft good) and they gave up way too much to get him. Hope I'm wrong.
FarmerJohn
AG
NFL Draft winners and losers: Texans now have a crisis of their own creation

Quote:

The reason for this is pretty clear: The front office didn't really want Stroud. It was extremely well known throughout league circles that the Texans draft board was Young, Levis, Richardson, Stroud with the football people in the organization wanting to roll the dice on a player with home run potential, rather than hitting a double.
Look, it's an article written based on a tweet and someone pretending to read "body language". So a healthy grain of salt should be taken with this. But if this isn't a Nick Caserio /DeMeco Ryans pick and instead is a Cal McNair pick, that should scare anyone.
MAS444
AG
That sounds like complete BS.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

would definitely take over on that number.
TarponChaser
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

would definitely take over on that number.

You like giving away money?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.