Houston
Sponsored by

SBISD School Board Election May 2022

15,176 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieMom24
YellAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Willy Wonka said:

YellAg2004 said:

While I have a ton of respect for people who will actually step up and own their mistakes/poor decisions, especially in this day and age, I really have to wonder how someone could pull a 180 on something that significant. That's seemingly like the school board equivalent of someone going from hardcore democrat to hardcore republican. Yes it does occasionally happen, but I'm usually a little wary of those people and at the very least, their judgement and decision-making ability.

So you mean you want people who never change their mind on anything. The beauty of a school board is that you will arrive at better decisions as a group than you ever would individually.
That's not what I said at all. In fact, I even said that I have respect for him changing his position and acknowledging it. However, given this specific set of circumstances, you can surely see how this "conversion" can make people be a little skeptical of his true feelings/position. Like I said earlier in this thread, my Nextdoor had a thread with people arguing for their candidates just this past weekend. All the people supporting Slattery were also pushing for SMDs.

So here you have one candidate (for this particular school board position) that is against SMDs, and another candidate that was for SMDs before being converted, but is backed by a bunch of SMD supporters. So if he gets elected, will his position possibly change again? Given that this election will likely determine how SBISD proceeds in the lawsuit, that's a pretty large request for trust, IMO.
drumboy
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Willy Wonka said:

YellAg2004 said:

While I have a ton of respect for people who will actually step up and own their mistakes/poor decisions, especially in this day and age, I really have to wonder how someone could pull a 180 on something that significant. That's seemingly like the school board equivalent of someone going from hardcore democrat to hardcore republican. Yes it does occasionally happen, but I'm usually a little wary of those people and at the very least, their judgement and decision-making ability.

So you mean you want people who never change their mind on anything. The beauty of a school board is that you will arrive at better decisions as a group than you ever would individually.
That's not what I said at all. In fact, I even said that I have respect for him changing his position and acknowledging it. However, given this specific set of circumstances, you can surely see how this "conversion" can make people be a little skeptical of his true feelings/position. Like I said earlier in this thread, my Nextdoor had a thread with people arguing for their candidates just this past weekend. All the people supporting Slattery were also pushing for SMDs.

So here you have one candidate (for this particular school board position) that is against SMDs, and another candidate that was for SMDs before being converted, but is backed by a bunch of SMD supporters. So if he gets elected, will his position possibly change again? Given that this election will likely determine how SBISD proceeds in the lawsuit, that's a pretty large request for trust, IMO.

[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
YellAg2004
AG
Well played
12thMan1989
Before you knock Carter Breed as NOT a "true conservative", consider that his opponent Lisa Alpe voted as a Democrat in the last presidential election. I had a screenshot sent to me after that Spring Branch Dems thing yesterday with John Perez where he was claiming Democrats endorsed Breed, Slattery and Kazynski. Turns out the only Democrat in the mix is Lisa Alpe. Go see yourself on their Facebook page.https://www.facebook.com/springbranchdemocrats/posts/276715374651367
BSD
AG
12thMan1989 said:

Before you knock Carter Breed as NOT a "true conservative", consider that his opponent Lisa Alpe voted as a Democrat in the last presidential election. I had a screenshot sent to me after that Spring Branch Dems thing yesterday with John Perez where he was claiming Democrats endorsed Breed, Slattery and Kazynski. Turns out the only Democrat in the mix is Lisa Alpe. Go see yourself on their Facebook page.https://www.facebook.com/springbranchdemocrats/posts/276715374651367

Aww, Carter's first post!
Cant Think of a Name
AG
12thMan1989 said:

So the Sbring Branch Dems had this on their page. Then the blowback started, and they mysteriously took it down.

Hmmmm…

AggieMom24
I saw that too about Lisa on the SB Dem page, but this is what Lisa said on a group chat about it FYI:

Guys, I want to tell y'all about my 2020 Dem PRIMARY vote. Yes, I voted in the Dem primary in 2020 because there were no real races on the R primary side and no judicial candidates even on the ballot! Because I practice criminal law, all the judge candidates were on the Dem side and I knew them all. I wanted to vote for one who would do the best job for public safety. Also, I wanted to vote against Kim Ogg as she is corrupt. There was actually a more moderate DA candidate on the Dem side than Ogg. I voted in the 2022 R primary and am clearly a "4R". I voted for R candidates in the general and good lord no, I did not vote for Biden! I voted in the 2022 R primary this year as the R party did a great job recruiting R judicial candidates. As you all can see, our judges really affect crime and I knew what would happen in 2020 with a Dem sweep. I am happy to explain this to anyone that asks, but I've certainly never been accused of being a Dem in my life. My vote was practical based on the 2 ballots. I felt that voting in the R primary in 2020 when there were no real contested races was a waste.

Lisa is the real deal y'all.

Again, I ask if anyone would like to have an Aggie Meet and Greet to actually talk to her, John Perez or Caroline Bennett, I am happy to put one together.

They are also working their tails off with meet and greets every week- come next Sunday to one in Spring Valley! 3-5pm. Message me for the address.

Lastly, look at her endorsements - Jack Cagle, Tom Ramsey, Tom Jinks. All great R's! There should be zero doubts about Lisa.

And if you want a sign, message me too. Happy to drop one off to you like I did last year for Chris Earnest!

Marvin_Zindler
AG
Willy Wonka said:

Lp2001 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome as a new Ag to the board! It was my first time to vote in a trustee election last election and I'm thankful they didn't tell me I couldn't vote bc I haven't voted in a board election in the past! It's always a good time to get involved and help others be informed...bc we weren't! Definitely get out and meet the candidates!!!

A new ag to the board and the Houston board and an sbisd election thread is the first one you picked. Dubious.

Lol…back in the day, this board was all about strip clubs, steaks/BBQ /bars and a certain blue Ferris Wheel. Now we sit around *****ing about school boards.

We've become boomers.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
AggieMom24 said:

I saw that too about Lisa on the SB Dem page, but this is what Lisa said on a group chat about it FYI:

Guys, I want to tell y'all about my 2020 Dem PRIMARY vote. Yes, I voted in the Dem primary in 2020 because there were no real races on the R primary side and no judicial candidates even on the ballot! Because I practice criminal law, all the judge candidates were on the Dem side and I knew them all. I wanted to vote for one who would do the best job for public safety. Also, I wanted to vote against Kim Ogg as she is corrupt. There was actually a more moderate DA candidate on the Dem side than Ogg. I voted in the 2022 R primary and am clearly a "4R". I voted for R candidates in the general and good lord no, I did not vote for Biden! I voted in the 2022 R primary this year as the R party did a great job recruiting R judicial candidates. As you all can see, our judges really affect crime and I knew what would happen in 2020 with a Dem sweep. I am happy to explain this to anyone that asks, but I've certainly never been accused of being a Dem in my life. My vote was practical based on the 2 ballots. I felt that voting in the R primary in 2020 when there were no real contested races was a waste.

Lisa is the real deal y'all.

Again, I ask if anyone would like to have an Aggie Meet and Greet to actually talk to her, John Perez or Caroline Bennett, I am happy to put one together.

They are also working their tails off with meet and greets every week- come next Sunday to one in Spring Valley! 3-5pm. Message me for the address.

Lastly, look at her endorsements - Jack Cagle, Tom Ramsey, Tom Jinks. All great R's! There should be zero doubts about Lisa.

And if you want a sign, message me too. Happy to drop one off to you like I did last year for Chris Earnest!

She went full Rush Limbaugh/Operation Chaos
AggieMom24
I am feeling you are ready for a yard sign
BigTex83
AG
Saw on another post early voting was April 25th through May 3rd. Question - is early voting at the County Annex on Wirt like all other elections? The post said the voting on May 7th was at local Middle Schools. I'm a fairly new resident to the area and want to have the right elected officials. Appreciate all the insight provided here.
Lp2001
AG
Wayne F. Scraper sr leadership center, city of Piney Pointe Village, don coleman community coliseum, Holy cross Lutheran church, John knox Presbyterian are all early voting centers.
Sazerac
AG
voting locations
https://www.springbranchisd.com/fs/resource-manager/view/8dd7fd2b-ec70-49cb-986e-277df59d29b2
BigTex83
AG
Thanks. Going to get my neighbors out to vote also.

Marvin_Zindler
AG
AggieMom24 said:

I am feeling you are ready for a yard sign
Where can I get them?
Sazerac
AG
All the super liberals in my neighborhood have up J Carter Breed signs. That should tell you all you need to know. Guy isn't fighting against the lawsuit, said he wasn't going to run again, then changed his mind at the last second.

Time for new blood on the board.
FarmerJohn
AG
Texicurean said:

I spoke with David Slattery earlier this week. I live on the same block as him. He is really just a longtime Spring Branch resident that wants the best for his neighborhood. I could be biased due to knowing him and his family.

If any are interested, he is holding an event this Saturday at Memorial Farmers Market. At 2 pm.
Come out and meet the man.
Just out of curiosity I clicked the link and the Memorial Farmer's Market says they end at 1PM. Is the 2PM correct or is this after the Farmer's Market?
lb sand
AG
Yes,
David said his event starts after the farmers market wraps up.
BSD
AG
So what's up with Slattery? Is he conservative or not?
Courtesy Flush
AG
I'm new to SBISD and my only child old enough to go to school currently goes to a private school but he will be attending an SBISD school this coming fall. I did some research this afternoon on the issues because I have been seeing all the signs in my neighbors' yards. Very interesting and I will be voting in the upcoming election.
BSD
AG
Figured out I'm not voting for Slattery. I'm not a fan of flip flopping (SMD) and if he didn't understand the issues in the first place, he's probably not qualified to be on the Board.

My choices:

Lisa Alpe (Pos. 5)
John Perez (Pos. 6)
Caroline H. Bennett (Pos. 7)
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Early voting starts tomorrow. After chats on and off this thread with a good number of folks, I'll be voting for Alpe, Bennett, and Perez and encourage anyone who is not a raging lib (or at least does not want to see SBISD move toward HISD-status) to do the same.

Tell your friends. Drag your spouses to the polls. Make it happen.
YellAg2004
AG
Driving through my neighborhood, the few houses with Slattery signs are the same houses that had Biden, Lizzie Fletcher, and Beto signs. While some of you may know him and believe him to be conservative, the only support I've seen for him seems to be coming from non-conservative sources. That speaks volumes for me and is enough to firmly cement my support for Alpe, Perez, and Bennett.
YellAg2004
AG
On a related note, what are everyone's thoughts on the bond portion of the SBISD ballot?

I know the general consensus of TexAgs and a lot of conservatives is to vote against any school bond. However, I believe SBISD has done a pretty good job managing their bond spending in the past. I feel like I read an article at one point that they saved enough money on the bond passed to re-build several of the schools that it was going to allow them to re-build another school that wasn't originally included in the bond plan. I'll have to do some digging to see if my memory is accurate or not.

The bond is also for CTE (Career & Technical Education), which I am very much in favor of. College isn't for everyone, and people can make a damn good living learning a trade, especially now.

So with all of that said, while I realize it will raise property taxes, I'm inclined to support the bond at this point, but I'd love to hear any arguments against it.
century2
AG
What is the group chat?
century2
AG
I'm confused as to how Lisa Andrews Alpe is being labeled as a defender of children. She has taken on clients and made on the record statements regarding some very questionable people accused of rape, child molestation, etc. It's in the press if you Google her name. How does she align with Christian values and judicial prudence? Yes, she was appointed to represent a few of these people (our constitutional right) , but the extra statements are nauseating.
BSD
AG
century2 said:

I'm confused as to how Lisa Andrews Alpe is being labeled as a defender of children. She has taken on clients and made on the record statements regarding some very questionable people accused of rape, child molestation, etc. It's in the press if you Google her name. How does she align with Christian values and judicial prudence? Yes, she was appointed to represent a few of these people (our constitutional right) , but the extra statements are nauseating.

Do you have specific examples?

And even if you do…

Quote:

she was appointed to represent a few of these people (our constitutional right)

I think you answered your own question.
BSD
AG
YellAg2004 said:

On a related note, what are everyone's thoughts on the bond portion of the SBISD ballot?

I know the general consensus of TexAgs and a lot of conservatives is to vote against any school bond. However, I believe SBISD has done a pretty good job managing their bond spending in the past. I feel like I read an article at one point that they saved enough money on the bond passed to re-build several of the schools that it was going to allow them to re-build another school that wasn't originally included in the bond plan. I'll have to do some digging to see if my memory is accurate or not.

The bond is also for CTE (Career & Technical Education), which I am very much in favor of. College isn't for everyone, and people can make a damn good living learning a trade, especially now.

So with all of that said, while I realize it will raise property taxes, I'm inclined to support the bond at this point, but I'd love to hear any arguments against it.

I typically vote for bond elections because there is so much population growth and technology needs that new school construction and updates are necessary. Even Valley Oaks Elementary which was just rebuilt 5 years ago is already overcrowded and needs more room. They say property taxes won't be raised and I can see that given the valuations HCAD is giving. While the percentage won't go up (they aren't raising your rate) the value of your house has gone up so they'll get the ad valorem taxes to satisfy debt service on new issue.
BSD
AG
century2 said:

You also had this gem in a previous thread as part of your three post fury in the last 4 years of posting:

Quote:

This thread shows exactly why a lawsuit is needed

So it's easy to see your agenda on this post. You're not being objective. it doesn't surprise me you'd take the woke playbook and throw **** against the wall to see if it'll stick.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

I'm not in Spring Branch so this isn't my fight, but while I appreciate the idea that not all students desire a traditional four year college goal, it seems this fits in more with the mission of a community college. There's an HCC campus right in Spring Branch. I took community college courses in high school. The money for on campus makes sense, students are already right there. But the $140MM for a dedicated facility seems like the kind of thing that is a better fit to a partnership with HCC.

But overall this bond package doesn't appear as bloated as others, like the 2012 HSID bond.
YellAg2004
AG
If I remember correctly, SBISD isn't partnered with HCC. I think they tried to a few years ago, but it was a thinly-veiled attempt to get access to the SBISD tax base. I wasn't paying nearly as close attention to local politics then as I am now, so someone that was more "dialed in" can correct me if I'm wrong.
BSD
AG
I don't fully recall the details but I think HCC was trying to tax the villages, not necessarily SBISD. I could be mistaken and it very well could have been SBISD as a whole. I just remember voting "**** you, no"
HDeathstar
Memorial area rejected the HCC offer to align and be taxed by HCC. Every ten years or so, HCC tries to add the area to their tax base. A discount on HCC classes is not worth paying taxes to them for the full lifetime of owning your home.

Last time HCC wanted a new theatre. Voters said no, and they still built it. They have plenty of money.
Sazerac
AG
Why are we allowing mail in ballots?

Nearly a thousand already in Vs less than a hundred all of last year. The steal is officially on.

https://www.savesbisd.org/post/mail-in-ballots-dominate-early-voting-as-soros-linked-pac-continues-sbisd-operations?utm_campaign=4ea19f7a-8871-474a-9488-a46f7c29a444&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail&cid=edc82707-6b81-403e-b651-3a288334c569
FarmerJohn
AG
I didn't realize HCC can't tax the villages. Heck no, I'd much rather pay for SBISD to run those programs than allow HCC to send a big chunk of the revenue to subsidize programs on the other side of the county.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.