Houston
Sponsored by

2022 Property Taxes...

61,797 Views | 517 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AGHouston11
rononeill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got a slick 0%. It actually looks like they missed my whole street!
K Bo
AG
TXTransplant said:

K Bo said:

Wife and I bought our house off market in May '21. 2022 appraised value up 10% but 13% below our purchase price. I'm in the "always protest" camp but think I might take what feels like a small W here.

How does your market value compare to the assessed value and your purchase price? You can protest just that value, since it also provides a limit on how much they can increase your assessed value in any given year. Thinking about the sales on my street, I think I'm going to protest my market value.
Market and appraised are the same, both 13% below our purchase price.

I'll admit, I don't fully understand the property tax code. We were riding previous owner's exemption for '21 and we have the exemption for '22 but I was expecting them to bump market and appraised to purchase price then apply the exemption going forward. I'll likely protest and expect no reduction. I'd just hate to be that case where they do increase after protest. (again, not sure if that's how it works)
randy828
AG
Not only property values going up...car insurance rates! I called my home/car insurance agent that I have had since I was 16. They said that all the increases in price of parts/etc for car repairs have gone up. Of course they pass it on to us few who carry car insurance.

I was going to start doing some home improvement projects, but going to put them on hold for a while and see if these crazy prices come down later in the year.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Martin Q. Blank
+8%

rentals up anywhere from 14% to 38%.
htxag09
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

+8%

rentals up anywhere from 14% to 38%.
So they jack up your rental tax rate 38% but you're the evil and greedy one when rent increases.....
TXTransplant
K Bo said:

TXTransplant said:

K Bo said:

Wife and I bought our house off market in May '21. 2022 appraised value up 10% but 13% below our purchase price. I'm in the "always protest" camp but think I might take what feels like a small W here.

How does your market value compare to the assessed value and your purchase price? You can protest just that value, since it also provides a limit on how much they can increase your assessed value in any given year. Thinking about the sales on my street, I think I'm going to protest my market value.
Market and appraised are the same, both 13% below our purchase price.

I'll admit, I don't fully understand the property tax code. We were riding previous owner's exemption for '21 and we have the exemption for '22 but I was expecting them to bump market and appraised to purchase price then apply the exemption going forward. I'll likely protest and expect no reduction. I'd just hate to be that case where they do increase after protest. (again, not sure if that's how it works)

Being off market probably helped you. They have access to the MLS data and know most sales prices.

What irks me, though, is how arbitrary/inconsistent they are about increasing values, even when they have the data. There are always a couple of houses on my street that the CAD ignores while hammering the ready of us. Heck, there is one house that has a pool (it was there when it last sold, probably 5 years ago) and the pool still isn't noted on the property record.
drumboy
AG
randy828 said:

Not only property values going up...car insurance rates! I called my home/car insurance agent that I have had since I was 16. They said that all the increases in price of parts/etc for car repairs have gone up. Of course they pass it on to us few who carry car insurance.

I was going to start doing some home improvement projects, but going to put them on hold for a while and see if these crazy prices come down later in the year.
Shop around for a new policy. We switch every time it goes up and can easily find a better deal.
MAROON
AG
Sea Speed said:

I dont think this thread is necessarily about that, but certainly there is a better way than what we have. People are going to start losing their homes with the valuation creep we have been seeing and that has apparently accelerated. Id honestly prefer a small income tax because my income is going to stay pretty steady and I can plan for it, with this I have some county chud deciding my home is worth however much more than I paid for it and decides to steal more of my money accordingly. Never being able to own your property is not a good system.
100%. The property tax system is not sustainable. I can manage my income - I cannot control my properties value and taxing unrealized gains s/b illegal.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
JobSecurity
AG
Up by 26% in Cinco. Does protesting matter when they raise it that much? No chance I'll get it down below 10% so my effective bill will be the same regardless if I understand correctly
htxag09
AG
JobSecurity said:

Up by 26% in Cinco. Does protesting matter when they raise it that much? No chance I'll get it down below 10% so my effective bill will be the same regardless if I understand correctly
Could help next year and future years. If it stays at 26% you'll get a full 10% increase next year by default just to catch up.
MAROON
AG
if you use a property tax firm they will get it knocked down by say 5%. Which of course means you still pay the 10% increase this year PLUS you pay them a portion of the 5% "tax" they saved you. A complete racket
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
MAS444
AG
It can't be said enough. Whether you do it yourself or use someone else, it still pays in the long run to get the market value down (even if appraised is still at 10% max)!
TXTransplant
I guess I can't argue HCAD wasn't consistent this year. Everyone on my street got a 10% increase, except for the three houses that don't have HE. Those went up 28, 29, and 30%. One house jumped from $383k to $498k. It sold for about $425k last summer.

tylercsbn9
AG
350-450 in Bridgeland

Seriously **** HCAD

The state has to do something about this. It's not sustainable. I get that it's a pick your poison type thing with property taxes versus income but the continuing jacked up values are asinine
Jack Klompus
AG
Up $50K in market value in 77429. Almost $110K more than what we paid for it in 2012.

Appraisal value up 10%.
Ciboag96
HCAD - Rich Democrats kicking Poor Democrats out of their ancestral homes since 1895
Aggie71013
AG
Actual market values are up significantly in the last few years. If the system worked correctly the market values would increase with the market and our elected officials would reduce tax rates to account for that. I have no hope our elected officials will decrease tax rates accordingly. Katy ISD has reduced theirs the last few years, but not enough to counteract the increase in property values.
gougler08
AG
So the appraised value in the file for FBCAD has my house going up >10% but I assume for property tax info they will cap it at 10% w/ my homestead exemption?

Either way, bleh
drumboy
AG
Appraised/Market went up 9% in 77008.
Martin Q. Blank
Aggie71013 said:

Actual market values are up significantly in the last few years. If the system worked correctly the market values would increase with the market and our elected officials would reduce tax rates to account for that. I have no hope our elected officials will decrease tax rates accordingly. Katy ISD has reduced theirs the last few years, but not enough to counteract the increase in property values.
I think they have to by law. Total tax revenue cannot increase more than 3.5%.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
29% increase
aTm2004
AG
18.4% on market and 9% on appraised in 77345.
ceenAg05
AG
Market rate up 36% (95k) in 77379.
htxag09
AG
aTm2004 said:

18.4% on market and 9% on appraised in 77345.

How'd your appraised not go up 10%?
aTm2004
AG
Not sure. Fought it last year and will do it again.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Exclude retirees from the tax and I might could accept it.
schmellba99
AG
TXTransplant said:

gougler08 said:

TXTransplant said:

Lots of properties without an exemption, and HE doesn't take effect until you've lived in the house for one full calendar year. All of those people who purchased homes at ridiculous prices in 2021 are fresh meat for the CAD in 2022.

Good point, people going to get raked over the coals

This discussion made me wonder how many people are significantly under-escrowed. I know mortgage companies try to account for tax increases, but we've had significant value increases across the board. It has to be affecting more properties than in a typical year.
That is one reason why I do my own escrow. It sucks writing that check every year, but I also have access to my money, can tell myself that I at least make some interest off of it and don't have to worry about my mortgage jumping $200 or $300 a month suddenly to make up for things that the escrow company screws up.
bularry
TXTransplant said:

Lots of properties without an exemption, and HE doesn't take effect until you've lived in the house for one full calendar year. All of those people who purchased homes at ridiculous prices in 2021 are fresh meat for the CAD in 2022.
you sure that is true?
schmellba99
AG
htxag09 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Sea Speed said:

Also, property taxes are evil.
Ah, you must be a fan of state income taxes then
Obviously it would depend on the rate, and you'd still have property taxes. But, if "reasonable", yes. i.e. If Texas did away with our high property taxes and implemented a state sales income tax and I had about the same tax liability either way, I'd be for the income tax.
I'll take a state sales tax over income tax, that way everybody pays into the pot, not just those of us with legit W2's or 1099's

Having lived in another state that had really low property taxes and a state income tax, it is a better system than what Texas has by far. A state sales tax (consumption tax) would be better yet because it ensures everybody - citizens, illegals, tourists, etc. pay into the state coffers.
TXTransplant
bularry said:

TXTransplant said:

you sure that is true?

So, you have to own and occupy the property on Jan 1 of the year you want the exemption. The $ amount exemption takes effect immediately (where a portion of your assessed value is excluded from taxes).

But the 10% cap on the increase in the assessed value doesn't take effect until the following calendar year. If they didn't do it this way, they would never revalue homes that sold. You'd just keep the previous owner's exemption. Assessed values are dated as of Jan 1 (current values are for the property as it existed on Jan 1 2022).

The 10% limitation on a Texas homestead is effective January 1st of the tax year following the first tax year the owner qualifies the property for a homestead exemption.

https://www.appraisaldistrictguide.com/texas/exemption/homestead-maximum.html
TXTransplant
schmellba99 said:

htxag09 said:

cajunaggie08 said:

Sea Speed said:

Also, property taxes are evil.
Ah, you must be a fan of state income taxes then
Obviously it would depend on the rate, and you'd still have property taxes. But, if "reasonable", yes. i.e. If Texas did away with our high property taxes and implemented a state sales income tax and I had about the same tax liability either way, I'd be for the income tax.
I'll take a state sales tax over income tax, that way everybody pays into the pot, not just those of us with legit W2's or 1099's

Having lived in another state that had really low property taxes and a state income tax, it is a better system than what Texas has by far. A state sales tax (consumption tax) would be better yet because it ensures everybody - citizens, illegals, tourists, etc. pay into the state coffers.

This. State income tax sucks for everyone, and it's terrible for school districts. Alabama and Mississippi are perpetually broke because they are so heavily dependent on income tax.

I also think the CAD process should change. There is no reason to reassess properties every single year. For homes that don't sell or don't have a permitted reno, it should be done on a 3-5 year basis, using averages.

This cycle of the CADs jacking up values every year and forcing us to protest only to have our values lowered in most years is a massive waste of time and resources
MAS444
AG
That's a great idea that I had never thought of (only reappraising every 5 years). It would save the county a ton of resources and give homeowners a small break in between increased appraisals. Would never happen though...
aTm2004
AG
schmellba99 said:

TXTransplant said:

gougler08 said:

TXTransplant said:

Good point, people going to get raked over the coals

This discussion made me wonder how many people are significantly under-escrowed. I know mortgage companies try to account for tax increases, but we've had significant value increases across the board. It has to be affecting more properties than in a typical year.
That is one reason why I do my own escrow. It sucks writing that check every year, but I also have access to my money, can tell myself that I at least make some interest off of it and don't have to worry about my mortgage jumping $200 or $300 a month suddenly to make up for things that the escrow company screws up.

This x1000! Escrowed on my first place and had them overvalue the amount, but kept a sizable chunk in there and gave me back a small part. Told myself I would not let others hold my money hostage like that and haven't escrowed my last 2 houses.
rilloaggie
AG
27% market / 10% appraised. 77077

It would irk me way less if the city/county/Hisd even pretended to give a crap about the services they provide. Roads are crumbling, hisd is garbage, my HOA contracts trash pickup and pays extra for the constables because the police are worthless. You'd think that for the amount of money we pay in property taxes that they'd be able to accidentally do something right.
IronRed13
AG
20% Market / 10% Appraisal in 77079

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.