Houston
Sponsored by

Ninfas on Nav vs El Tiempo

21,917 Views | 260 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DiskoTroop
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

jetch17 said:

There's 4 pages of other sh*t on the El T menu before fajitas that are also great

I think the enchiladas and various other things kick the piss out of ninfas

Most importantly ET green & red sauce is better (bonus for the habanero sauce)

I'm sorry if a TexMex place in Houston Texas can't manage a decent version of the single most popular dish on the menu, especially when they claim it's a specialty of theirs, why would I trust other plates? Particularly when I can go to umpteen other places and get something consistent?

I'm not gonna seek out the "good locations". I'll just hit my local taqueria or texmex joint for mediocre food and I'll leave with spending less than $20/pp.

Tight.
Irish 2.0
I'll take ET over Pappasitos every time. Pappasitos isn't really any cheaper with their fajitas either
Chewy
AG
Only on TexAgs can people get into serious debates about how much a pound of fajitas is at a Mexican place that caters to white people.

They're all interchangeable and personal preference is totally fine. There's really not that much difference between them. They all make a fine meal if you're not an LOLpoor.

Also, Lupe Tortilla and Goode Co. Cantina say hello…
Jack Cheese
AG
I'm generally not a fan of teriyaki based marinade, which I believe ET and papasitos both use. Citrus based is more flavorful.
Madmarttigan
AG
For beef fajitas I think ET, ninfas, papasitos are all top tier. For chicken Ninfas is by far the best.

Lol at people thinking ET has good enchiladas when Tonys on Ella is close by.
DiskoTroop
Irish 2.0 said:

I'll take ET over Pappasitos every time. Pappasitos isn't really any cheaper with their fajitas either

Glad to see that… However if it's the same plate of over cooked limp beef turds I was served I will still go to Pappasito's.
DiskoTroop
Jack Cheese said:

I'm generally not a fan of teriyaki based marinade, which I believe ET and papasitos both use. Citrus based is more flavorful.

I've read a Pappasito's copycat recipe is a 3-2-1 recipe of water-pineapple juice-soy sauce so you're probably not too far off. Whatever it is it's delicious
Post removed:
by user
inconvenient truth
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

aTm_bomb said:

You don't have a $20 in your wallet?

lOoK aT mE, I dOn'T cArE aBoUt MoNeY!

Yes and I'll spend it at Pappasitos on good fajitas. A $100 for $75 deal isn't even enough to make me order those pathetic fajitas.

So it appears there are two decent locations for ET.

I can go to any Pappasitos and get the same meal. It's still expensive but at least my wife and I can both eat on the ~$50 fajita plate.

Someone should definitely demand an audience with Lorenzo to let him know about this injustice and tell him how to fix his business.
Post removed:
by user
DiskoTroop
inconvenient truth said:

TheFunnierPhideaux said:

aTm_bomb said:

You don't have a $20 in your wallet?

lOoK aT mE, I dOn'T cArE aBoUt MoNeY!

Yes and I'll spend it at Pappasitos on good fajitas. A $100 for $75 deal isn't even enough to make me order those pathetic fajitas.

So it appears there are two decent locations for ET.

I can go to any Pappasitos and get the same meal. It's still expensive but at least my wife and I can both eat on the ~$50 fajita plate.

Someone should definitely demand an audience with Lorenzo to let him know about this injustice and tell him how to fix his business.

If they know what's good for business they'll seek me out like the last guy.
jetch17
AG
JCI shut down several locations since the last meeting - guess they should have listened to the guru
DiskoTroop
I do believe that ship had already sailed. They were in too deep to that stupid grill concept.
swimmerbabe11
I like Ninfas better, but there are tons of good places within rock throwing distance of Ninfa's.

Speaking of overpriced texmex that caters to white people, I'm at Cadillac bar for the brunch buffet and this place has really gone downhill.. or I just was more easily excited for brunch buffets out of college. .. either way, it's super meh compared to what it used to
AustinCountyAg
Your post reminds me…. Me and my son went to Cadillac bar last month (tc jester) on a Sunday as well for lunch and my gosh it was ****ing terrible. We used to love that place, but damn it was beyond brutal. Had zero beers on draft. Only two to choose from in bottles. Margarita was ***** Queso literally tasted like straight velveeta. The whole experience was ***** We will never be back.
drumboy
AG
Pappasitos maragaritas have been pretty crappy last couple times I went, ET still on point.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I think we've got some competitive eaters on this thread...

I Am A Critic
SoupNazi2001 said:

TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Jack Cheese said:

I've read a Pappasito's copycat recipe is a 3-2-1 recipe of water-pineapple juice-soy sauce so you're probably not too far off. Whatever it is it's delicious

We posted this at the same time.
Yet only one of you was right. Phi****** talking out his ass as per usual. WTF uses 3 parts water like a dumbass?
Username checks out.
Unemployed
AG
I Am A Critic said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Jack Cheese said:

Yet only one of you was right. Phi****** talking out his ass as per usual. WTF uses 3 parts water like a dumbass?
Gotta watch that sodium intake.
schmellba99
AG
Jock 07 said:

Are there even any Ninfa's not on navigation anymore?

45 just south of the loop, forget the cross street but it is on the east side of the highway.
DiskoTroop
I Am A Critic said:

SoupNazi2001 said:

TheFunnierPhideaux said:

Jack Cheese said:

Oh puff on it. I said it was a 3-2-1 recipe using water, pineapple juice and soy sauce. If you read into it I was giving a specific recipe with parts corresponding exactly as I worded it then you're the ******. You'll know when I post a recipe. It'll certainly have rotel in it.
Mas89
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Your post reminds me…. Me and my son went to Cadillac bar last month (tc jester) on a Sunday as well for lunch and my gosh it was ****ing terrible. We used to love that place, but damn it was beyond brutal. Had zero beers on draft. Only two to choose from in bottles. Margarita was ***** Queso literally tasted like straight velveeta. The whole experience was ***** We will never be back.
Do they still have the tequila shot girl going around selling shots? With all of the shot glasses in holsters? It's been quite a few years but the one on I-1o west was a hoot.
wessimo
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Agree. ET fajita meat is quality and well prepared but definitely has a strong soy sauce flavor. Personally prefer Lupe's fajitas.
Valtrex11
Puddy staff doesn't appreciate your attacks please take this as a lesson to respect fellow posters.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Chewy said:

Only on TexAgs can people get into serious debates about how much a pound of fajitas is at a Mexican place that caters to white people.

They're all interchangeable and personal preference is totally fine. There's really not that much difference between them. They all make a fine meal if you're not an LOLpoor.

I'm entertained by how serious and angry some people here get about their fatass food experiences.
Texasclipper
AG
ET versus Ninfas on Nav? I've had two not good beef fajita meals in a row from the Ninfas on Nav and haven't been back since before COVID. I pretty much wrote them off as living on Mamma Ninfas legacy and not being real anymore.

ETs fajitas are inconsistent and i think very dependent on location and on who is working in the kitchen. Sometimes great, sometimes MEH. Papasitos is consistently good.

Interesting take on the teriyaki versus citrus. I've never considered that ET and Papasitos used a teriyaki flavoring, but that is what I prefer over the citrus based (vinegar flavor).

There are a lot of choices and some of the small places are great. There is a place on Irvington called El Palenque that HAD amazing fajitas, and inexpensive (pre Biden) too. But, they changed something and it wasn't the same the last time i was there.

cypress-ag
AG
Last trip to ET was BAD... the beef fajitas were soaked in liquid smoke and inedible. I'm normally all over ET but after that last trip not sure I'm ready to try again. Original Ninfas is my night out choice but got stuck outside on a table last trip and the food was cold. I'll ,Abe sure to wait for an inside spot next time. Pappasitos is my favorite but my wife isn't a fan of the hot sauce or Rita's so I eat there without her.
Cannon Crew Ag
AG
Sounds like those of y'all claiming you had bad fajita experiences just didn't use enough of the melted fajita butter.
Texaggie7nine
Harry Lime said:

Chewy said:

I'm entertained by how serious and angry some people here get about their fatass food experiences.
It's not really about the food. It's the same across every subject. "The things I like are objectively the best and anyone that says different is an inherent loser and freak of monumental proportions."
7nine
Irish 2.0
Harry Lime said:

Chewy said:

Have you seen the steakhouse thread?!
HtownAg92
AG
We split time between the Nav and the ET on Taft/Westheimer. I've gotta give ET the nod right now, mainly due to the Las Vegas combo (Beef Taco, Cheese Enchilada, Beef Fajita). Carnitas are pretty even. Both dominate if you order old school crispy.

Nav will live on in nostalgia no matter what, even if it starts to fade in quality. Still great now, but there will be some who won't admit it ever because of cool cred.
one MEEN Ag
AG
My favorite part about this perpetual thread are those *****ing about the prices of El Tiempo, Ninfas and Pappasitos while swearing there's a better restaurant thats way cheaper for the same quality. And yet, I never find a recommendation.

There are basically two tiers of mexican food. Ones you judge on their fajitas and ones you judge on their enchiladas. You can find a greasy, cheaper, hole in the wall enchilada joint to fit your budget. Because they can fill those enchiladas up with 72% ground beef / 28% cat food. You can't do that for fajitas.

For the record, my backyard does make good fajitas. Go buy the wagyu skirt steak at HEB, marinate for 30 minutes in fresh pineapple juice/soy sauce. Grill, finish with sea salt and lime juice. Buy the uncooked refrigerated HEB tortillas and use those.

And for 80% the price of going out to eat and 400% the amount of work compared to driving to El Teimpo, you too can claim to have the best fajitas in town.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

I live in Heights and for a decent fajita at reasonable prices, I like Teotihuacan over on Airline. I go there once or twice a month usually.
Second for Teo. Usually spend about half as much a El Tiempo. I can also show up at 6-7 and not have to wait an hour, either.
drumboy
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Irish 2.0 said:

I live in Heights and for a decent fajita at reasonable prices, I like Teotihuacan over on Airline. I go there once or twice a month usually.
Second for Teo. Usually spend about half as much a El Tiempo. I can also show up at 6-7 and not have to wait an hour, either.

Monday kids eat free and all day HH Mon-Wed, but unfortunately my wife and kids don't like it so we drop $80 at Tony's or $75 ($100 Costco GC) at ET once a week.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.